Thread: Chasing Kings

Default Chasing Kings

Hello all looks and sounds like most of you are having a great start to the season. I have a question about targeting Kings and would appreciate any feedback you have. I would like to try and catch some Kings out of Whittier and am curious about tackle and/or technique. I do not have a setup for trolling so will be stationary and have plenty of mooching rigs, buzzbombers etc for getting Silvers but have never targeted Kings and am wondering if I should use the same stuff or something different? Also what depth should I try them at? Thanks for any help in getting me my first King ever!

Johnathon

I would try the depth that my fish finder is showing fish.

Specifically targeting kings in PWS by mooching is going to be a true test of patience.

The reason most people troll for feeder Kings (guessing that predominately what's in PWS) is that they are generally spread out following bait around. If you can find a good concentration of bait you may be able to mooch over it and get one. By trolling people are covering large areas of water with a hook down, if your running around looking for bait and then mooching you spend a lot of time with no bait in the water.

I think maybe he's thinking of targeting the terminal kings that were stocked in Whittier and which should be returning this year. Regardless, trolling should be more effective than mooching. Without downriggers you can still troll effectively with a simple setup of a banana weight followed by a spoon or a herring of some time. I've also used deep six divers with success or, if you want to go really simple, troll a k-6 kwikfish with no weight attached.

I was thinking the terminal kings but have heard of people picking up a few while mooching for silvers so thought it might be worth a shot. Thanks for the tips on trolling w/o the down riggers and flasher, I'll have to try some of your suggestions out.