Thread: Cell coverage?

Default Cell coverage?

I have to be reachable by cell this weekend but would still like to go somewhere to camp and hike and/or bike. Any suggestions? Not downtown Soldotna or Seward. Thanks!

I've found I can use my AT&T cell phone just about anywhere in the railbelt.

how about that trail off the exit where the old glenn and new glenn go togeater on the way to palmer before the bridge. i seen black bears there before tho. bring gun.
    Semper Fi!

Who is your service provider? as I thought some provide more or different coverage than other providers.

How about a sat phone? They can be rented and having one would open up many areas for you and such activities.

As a general rule ACS has better coverage on the highway system than AT&T or GCI. Their numerous cell towers and CDMA type system just provides better coverage in most fringe areas than GSM systems. CDMA will get you coverage a few miles farther from that last cell tower too, so in some places you get better coverage off the highway system. I have gotten a solid cell signal nearly 40 miles from the nearest ACS tower as long as I have direct line of sight. Plenty of exceptions to that general rule however. I know AT&T and GCI both get coverage on parts of the Hatcher Pass road (Willow side) that ACS completely fails on.

I don't think anyone has coverage from near the top of Turnagain Pass to somewhere beyond the Hope Road. There are a couple campgrounds in there (Bertha Creek & Granite Creek) where you would be out of touch. Also, you can often get a strong cell phone signal but no data signal for your smart phone. Just one of the nicer things about living in Alaska.