Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunting boots.

Default Sheep hunting boots.

Hey guys, I might be going sheep hunting this year, and was wondering what kind of boots you guy recommend. I've been told a few boots to check out and they are: Asolo Fugitive GTX, Salomon Revo GCS GTX Backpacking Boots and La Sportiva Trango Trek GTX. I Don't have any experience with any of these boots, so i'd like some feed back from you guys, and what boots you wear yourself. Thanks.

Have you done a search through the forum archives? This has been discussed numerous times, so you might want to take a look to see what past users have suggested.

As for me, I LOVE my Lowa boots!

I lot of people talk about the Koflach Degre boots. They are plastic, with an inner lining that also doubles as a camp boot. You save on wieght and durability, but it seems like people either love or hate plastics.

Default boots

I'm going on my first sheep hunt too this year. I've got plastic Koflach Alaska Hunter and Lowa Tibets. I'm still trying to decide which to use. Lowa are more comfortable but plastics are near indestructible.

Thumbs up Lowa

I would also consider looking at the Lowa GTX Extreme (sheephunters)., They worked great and the only boot I wear in the mountains. I was considering going with a plastic until we took a kid to the o.r. with broken tib/fib. he slid abut 4 ft down shale before his asolo gripped and they were so stiff in the ankle that his upper body weight shifted and the tork broke his leg. To date I have seen this hapen 3 times. Just a thought.

I know this has come up on the forum many times but I'm glad to see someone ask about the Asolo boots. I have had a few pairs of Asolo's but not the ones you are talking about and I can tell you that the Asolo boots I have had are great boots. They have a decent selection of them at REI and at http://www.schnees.com/.

I just got Koflach and love them. I got one recommendation from a Granola here in town who used them on 9 attempts of the 7 summits of the world. Same pair, 9 times. Tough enough for me.

This strays a little bit from the topic of sheep hunting boots, but, I just bought a pair of Koflach Degre boots, and I am wondering about the Glacier Socks that are sold by Barney's. Would these be suitable in place of ankle-fit hip boots on a bear hunt? It would save a bit on weight, and I'm just wondering about feasibility. Thanks.

Barron

b,

work pretty good unless your partner decides to throw a pair in the river as he is trying to throw them to you. as far a bear hunt I think you are better off bringing a pair of hip waders for the simple fact that yu will be in a lot of water and will wear them constantly, you will want a insulated pair.
    IMHo!

coop

Default It's what fits your feet.

There is alot to be said for quality boots, but don't overlook what your feet are telling you. I have had a lot of problems with blisters on my feet and I have tried all the little tricks with minimal success. I had a pair of Soloman's for my first sheep hunt that felt great on my feet but I couldn't walk a mile in them without getting a blister. I tried LOTS of different boots on before I got a pair of La Sportiva's. They have worked great. I don't need any of the tricks, I just put them on and go. The one brand that I didn't try was the Lowa's which you will probably end up getting the most recommendations for on this forum.

Given the problem I have with blisters even when a boot feels good in the store, I will probably buy most of my future boots from REI given their no hassle return policy.

Good hunting.
    Scott

Scotts right on the money. For my feet it's the opposite. My feet do not fit the last of the La Sportiva's but I have had to pair of Salomons that fit great.

Any high quality mountaineering boot is what you want, so long as it fits. Only you can determine that.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by smarion View Post
    There is alot to be said for quality boots, but don't overlook what your feet are telling you. I have had a lot of problems with blisters on my feet and I have tried all the little tricks with minimal success. I had a pair of Soloman's for my first sheep hunt that felt great on my feet but I couldn't walk a mile in them without getting a blister. I tried LOTS of different boots on before I got a pair of La Sportiva's. They have worked great. I don't need any of the tricks, I just put them on and go. The one brand that I didn't try was the Lowa's which you will probably end up getting the most recommendations for on this forum.

Given the problem I have with blisters even when a boot feels good in the store, I will probably buy most of my future boots from REI given their no hassle return policy.

Good hunting.
    Scott
    Try putting vaseline on your feet, and lots of it. Carry some in your pack, if you're hunting, so you can apply it when you need more.

It works like a miracle. I ***** you not.

Smitty of the North

I've just received my Koflach Degre boots in the mail, and I noticed when I tried them on that they are extremely noisy. They squeak a lot when walking. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this? Thanks.

Barron

Quote Originally Posted by BBrittingham View Post
    I've just received my Koflach Degre boots in the mail, and I noticed when I tried them on that they are extremely noisy. They squeak a lot when walking. Is there anything that can be done to remedy this? Thanks.

Barron
    I had the same problem with my Mendle boots (excellent boot), I oiled the leather. This not only treated the leather, thus protecting it from water, but cut out the squeeks.

Default Lowa sheephunters

I have been using mine since breakup and they are frickin awesome. They felt like they were already broken in. Grip well while climbing and fit good to. One thing though, I usually were reg width but with these I had to get the wides. If ya go with them here is a web site that will save ya a few dollars http://www.shoebuy.com/lowa-hunter-g.../138840/321059 also enter this code 368378246 for 15% off and then register for another 10% off. You can get them for almost $200 and they have free shipping. Took a week for me to get them here in Fairbanks, thought UPS ground would take longer but it didnt. Good hunting!

Being an old Infantryman I have always treated my feet far better than any other part of my body. I have found my custom made Russell High Country Hunters to be the the best footwear I've ever had. They don't cost much more than any other top of the line boot and can be built with whatever specifics you want, (extra height, thinsulate, etc). Best of all they will be made specifically for your feet. My right foot is 1/2 a size larger than my left, so things like this can make a differance. Russells are made in Wisconson by old school craftsman (unlike so much else which seems to be made in china). You may have to wait a couple months for your boots but once you put them on you'll know why. My Russells have never let me down on many a long and tiring hunt, if your feet go down, the whole machine stops!

Default Sheep Hunting Boots

F-16, thanks for the tip & code for Shoebuy.com. I ordered my Lowa Sheephunters tonight. Can't wait to try them after hearing so many folks rave about them.

Take care,
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Garion33 View Post
    F-16, thanks for the tip & code for Shoebuy.com. I ordered my Lowa Sheephunters tonight. Can't wait to try them after hearing so many folks rave about them.

Take care,
    Dave
    Glad I could help Dave. Stuff costs so much now that you have to search out the deals! Have fun with those boots I love mine.

I used to work for a guide in northway and my Girlfriend was nurse. Every season alot of people came in with broken legs from plastics. Hunters and Iceclimbers con't to snap their legs right above the boot. I loved my plastics but went another route just to avoid injury. There is a plethera of boots out there Just stay away from Danners for sheep hunting your feet will freeze!

I'm still trying to figure out how guys are breaking thier legs from plastic boots.

I'm a downhill skier, been wearing high stiff plastic boots for 37 years and never had a problem and I know I have put a lot more stess on my legs skiing and crashing than I have hiking, even with a 100lb pack. Lot's of mountaineers, ice climbers, rock climbers, back country skiers on AT gear or tele skiers with plastic boots and you don't hear of broken legs JUST because of the boots. Yes, skiers get "boot top fractures" but the most common injuries are knee injuries. I know, I'm a ski patroller.

I would venture to say that it has a lot more to do with the whole situation than just plastic boots. Maybe the plastic boots allowed the hunters to get into terrain they shouldn't have been in. Maybe a higher percentage of hunters who are wearing plastics are traveling in more difficult terrain resulting in more falls, who knows. But to say guys break thier legs because of plastics is a hard one for me to swallow. Just seems strange to me. I think there is more to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast