Thread: We should support wind farms!

Default We should support wind farms!

Read this story today:
    http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...ome_lead_story

Notice the part about a new road constructed from Ferry to the site. That means increased access.
    Maybe wind farms mean more access to hunting country??
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I worked on windmills for 12 years in Calif. They will probably lock any roads that would provide access to the machines, they don't want the liability of people being around them, especially with firearms.
    It was interesting to read the comments to the article regarding bird kills, the industry has come a long way in regard to decreasing bird strikes, and the new machines kill very few birds.
    At the site I worked at the machines were blamed for killing a lot more birds than they really did kill. The birds would get injured flying in to sheep fencing a lot then climb to the top of the nearest hill and die, since it died on the ridge top near a windmill the kill would be blamed on the machine.

Robert

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by windvane View Post
    The birds would get injured flying in to sheep fencing a lot then climb to the top of the nearest hill and die
    I'm sure you have a valid reason to say that. Seems like a hell of a stretch to me though...

I generally find wind farms to be non starters cost wise for a lot of reasons.But I guess if someone else pays to build and maintain it then it's "free" energy...

Whether a private enterprise or government funded, if it doesnt pay for itself, it probably shouldnt get built!!!

Its no stretch, we would see it happen, an Eagle or Hawk would be hunting, dive in on its prey and not realize that there was a fence between it and its prey and break a wing. Typically, if the machine killed the bird, there was severe trauma, but the way the Biologists had to report it any bird found within so many feet of the machine had to be reported.

[QUOTE=windvane;1138800]At the site I worked at the machines were blamed for killing a lot more birds than they really did kill. The birds would get injured flying in to sheep fencing a lot then climb to the top of the nearest hill and die, since it died on the ridge top near a windmill the kill would be blamed on the machine.

That makes no sense. If the sheep fence was the reason all the birds were being killed, all you would have to do is put a soft cover over the wires or used a difference type of fence.
    Just how many birds are killed per year?
    What type of bird?

Quote Originally Posted by windvane View Post
    Its no stretch, we would see it happen,
    Fair enough, like I said, I was sure you had a reason to say that...thanks for following up.

I was thinking that the "climbing up the hill and dying" part seemed odd.

Their instinct is to go to the highest point they could, better visibility. That is how the Biologists explained it.

Macgyver, the machines were installed in dry wheatfields/sheep land, the farmers had put the fencing in generations ago. Most of the birds killed were Red tailed Hawks and Golden Eagles.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Read this story today:
    http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...ome_lead_story

Notice the part about a new road constructed from Ferry to the site. That means increased access.
    Maybe wind farms mean more access to hunting country??
    The OP is certainly entitled to his statements. But from his other posts, his comments appear to be tongue in cheek, and seem to have little to do with his real views. IMO, his purpose for this thread was to somehow incite a debate about access issues via discussions about windmills.

With it being a hunting forum ... just wish there was a hunting story in there rather than the political dogma.

Quote Originally Posted by Wet eNuf View Post
    , his comments appear to be tongue in cheek, and seem to have little to do with his real views. IMO, his purpose for this thread was to somehow incite a debate about access issues via discussions about windmills.
    Completely correct. Not too interested in how many birds are killed by windmills. Very interested in how windmill construction and maintenance will change access to an area.
    Perhaps there will be a hunting story later this year after hunt seasons are over. Political dogma is all part of the game here in Alaska. Maybe you can find a state where it isn't.
    If you don't like a post or thread WET, you could try and volunteer to be a mod.

If you don't like a post or thread WET, you could try and volunteer to be a mod.
    fair enough comment... sometimes it would be nice to have the ability to edit my poor grammar...

In my opinion, we are all more or less mods as we decide what threads are started, and how and where we post. If we do our thing correctly, then they don't have to clean up the messes and disorder.

But as you suggest, I do think that this thread "and the underlying/accompanying political dogma" would be more appropriately addressed in one of the Alaska Management Resource Forums.

This thread is dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    This thread is dumb.
    Ditto ....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Lol..mike no new road no new access... they RE-built the ferry trail from the R/R crossing in ferry to the eva creek site...the bridge access is the same as it always has been and there is just a 40' road with big corners , rather then a 20' road with blind corners, for the first few miles....in fact..i fully expect that when completeded... and a few hunters screw it up...fences will start to go up..

And since this is the second year of construction its kind of old hat any way..... those that hunt there are already aware of the changes

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Just wait until the eco-folks see miles and miles and miles of wind mills down their favorite viewing spot.. This is in West Virginia and they go for miles...

You were the first one I thought of when I read that article, Vince. Figured you would chime in since it's in your back yard.

dvar...........thanks for the photo. You show the reason for this thread. The debate about roads in Alaska will be never ending..........but.......roads to green energy sources (wind and solar) will be likely acceptable. Good wind and solar energy locations in Alaska could likely be, somewhat, in the middle of no where. Perhaps they will be future increased access areas for hunters/fisherman.

You were the first one I thought of when I read that article, Vince. Figured you would chime in since it's in your back yard.

dvar...........thanks for the photo. You show the reason for this thread. The debate about roads in Alaska will be never ending..........but.......roads to green energy sources (wind and solar) will be likely acceptable. Good wind and solar energy locations in Alaska could likely be, somewhat, in the middle of no where. Perhaps they will be future increased access areas for hunters/fisherman.
    It's quite and interesting topic. I was raised shooting rabbits to whitetails in Pa and WV and some of my old spots are now wind farms. They do destroy property values regardless of how quiet they are and they can been seen for miles and miles. To be honest, I think there is a balance that needs to be struck. They do take away from the beauty of the environment but they provide needed power. Truth be told I would rather see the dam get built and a power station put in than windmills. At least the dam could be stocked with fish!

The problem where I come from is that they erect these windfarms and sell the power to places like CT or NH.. It doesn't reduce the cost of local power. Here it may be difficult to do that so we would benefit..

I do know the roads are off limits down there but up here, they may allow access back so far before blocking them off..

Most people are unaware that there are around 80 utility scale windturbines in Alaska. Nearly all are out west and used to power villages as an alternative to diesel. Toksook Bay, Gambell, Mekoryuk, Kotz., Unalakleet, Shaktoolik, and numerous others have wind turbines. These turbines of mostly in the 100kw range, 33-36 meter tower height. All have proven to have little if any effect on the bird population and all are built next to the villages so they haven't required any new roads into the wild.

Alaska has just began constructing large scale utilty wind farms, beginning last year in Kodiak, and this year at Eva and Fire Island. The question is will any of these projects allow for greater access to hunting lands. Hmm, crews have been building and improving 5-6 miles of road accross Fire Island for the last month. Will any of us get to use the Fire Island roads, most likely not.

Eva Creek improved a good stretch of road back into the valley which I could see utilized by hunters. The problem is that the access is still by fourwheeler across the side of the railroad bridge. Truck travel would require access through private property, Railroad I believe, which has historically been off limits. So you're still stuck to fourwheelers with the only difference being now you have a better road to run on for a while.

Additional large scale wind projects will almost undoubtably be expansions of the current wind farms under construction. Fire Island originally had a design for 30 some turbines and Eva was scaled back as well. With the infastructure in place, it is much more economical to expand on these sites than to build new in an alternate location. So I wouldn't expect new roads blazed across country for construction of a large wind farm any time soon.

Hmm, number one dall sheep predator in AK is the golden eagle which is protected federally. Power production is federally funded and kills golden eagles... It's like federal predator control!