Thread: Anchor rode and splicing

Default Anchor rode and splicing

I currently have 300 foot of anchor rope. It is pretty nice braided rope with a solid center and braid (many strands) around that. I don't know what type of rope it is called. It is nice and doesn't tangle up like a 3 strand braid sometimes does.

I really want 600 foot of rope. I would like to splice another 300 foot onto my current rope, but we can't figure out how to braid it in (we bouy pull so it needs to be a good clean splice). Is there a way to splice my current rope? We know how to splice 3 strand as it is pretty easy.....

Where is the best place in anchorage to buy long rode? Donalsons?

I would talk to Arctic Wire and Rope. I buy all my rode and anchor stuff there. They also do splicing as well.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

That sounds like Sampson Braid or something similar. Pretty technical to splice unless you really know what you're doing. If Arctic Wire and Rope will splice Sampson for you, it's a good buy at any price.

While you're at it, have them splice a loop in the extreme end. We have one in our three-strand along with a oversize "fender" buoy. I drop the loop over the cleat in my bow, then feed all my anchor line into my anchor locker, then the chain, then the anchor. Last step is to disconnect the loop and buoy from the cleat and drop that into the locker on top of the rest.

When anchoring I open the locker, attach the loop to the cleat, then set the anchor and cleat it off. If I have to dump the anchor for any reason, I uncleat the works and let the buoy hold up the bitter end for recovery. Darned handy if you have to chase a fish or hang the anchor. When pulling the anchor, I leave the buoy and loop at the cleat, feed in the anchor line, chain and anchor, then unattach the buoy and loop and drop that on top, ready for the next set.

My anchor hold is not big enough to hold the anchor, bouy doesn't even come close to fitting, I like your system though and will adopt to mine.

Dan - I will talk to them.....

randy

A 600ft roll, 100 fathom shot of 7/16 three strand nylon line at Arctic Wire and Rope is around $50 I think, just replaced mine. Donít think you will have much luck braiding that multiple strand line youíve got. This line is easy to work with and works great for anchor line.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Are you sure avout that price? $50 for 600ft?

I have 600' of 3/8 three strand I believe. It was around $200 I think. It's not as nice as braid but it's way cheaper. I have had to splice three strand ropes a lot and it's easy to do yourself. I do all my own eyelets etc. I like the three strand for the main reason that i know how to work with it.

Come to think of it I think it's 1/2 inch. I think the other option was 5/8

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    A 600ft roll, 100 fathom shot of 7/16 three strand nylon line at Arctic Wire and Rope is around $50 I think, just replaced mine. Donít think you will have much luck braiding that multiple strand line youíve got. This line is easy to work with and works great for anchor line.
    Wow, that's cheaper than 1/4" shrimp pot line.

Last summer I got a 600' spool of 1/2" 3 ply from Donaldson's, don't recall the price but it was around $200 as I recall. You wanto to roll it off the spool, not flake it or you'll have horrendous kinks. It was easy to splice onto my chain.

To the o/p, if you don't have a spare anchor you might want to just use your current 300' line for a spare anchor, and get a new 600' shot for your main. That's what I ended up doing on my boat.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I currently have 300 foot of anchor rope. It is pretty nice braided rope with a solid center and braid (many strands) around that. I don't know what type of rope it is called. It is nice and doesn't tangle up like a 3 strand braid sometimes does.

I really want 600 foot of rope. I would like to splice another 300 foot onto my current rope, but we can't figure out how to braid it in (we bouy pull so it needs to be a good clean splice). Is there a way to splice my current rope? We know how to splice 3 strand as it is pretty easy.....

Where is the best place in anchorage to buy long rode? Donalsons?
    everything you wanted to know about splicing rope and then some. good luck
    http://www.samsonrope.com/splicing-instructions.cfm

I just bought 600 ft. of 3/8" 3-strand from Donalsons this week, it was $99.

I got a quote of 316.49 for 8 "double braid" from AWR. They can't put a splice in it for 2 weeks as they are backlogged.

I don't have room for a second anchor - good idea, but on my little 18 footer it just isn't feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullelkklr View Post
    I got a quote of 316.49 for 8 "double braid" from AWR. They can't put a splice in it for 2 weeks as they are backlogged.

I don't have room for a second anchor - good idea, but on my little 18 footer it just isn't feasible.
    If your just looking for a fishing anchor maybe a coil of my braided sink rope (stores in a small container) with a smaller anchor would work for you then you could only use your bigger anchor for overnighting. OR maybe just knot in more of the heavier double braid and you'll have to pull till you hit the knot then run the boat over to clear it and continue to pull the rest. Take the rope back to AWR in the fall to have them splice it.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Great advise Steve. I love my spool of sinking braid. Nice and easy on the hands too.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Splicing double braided rope isn't all that difficult. Purchase a Sampson Fid kit. Comes with instructions and different size fids for splicing numerous sizes of rope. With a little patience and practice you can splice double braid easily and show off you seamanship talents.

Alaska wire and rope told me that they could splice an eye into the end, but cannot make a jointed tie (tie two together). i will have to check into it.

For this weekend, I have 200 foot of 3 strand that I will just knot into the double braid. That will get me fishing for the weekend.

The price I gave above was for 600 foot of double braid. It seems to lay real nice so i will probably just stay with that.