Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need tracking help!!

Default Need tracking help!!

My wife shot her first big game animal, a black bear just before 1am today. A friend and i spent the last 4 hours on hands and knees. Tissue found at the spot she shot it. Blood trail gets spotty then a puddle. Anyone have hounds or more experience tracking bears in the North Pole area. Since this is the wifes first black bear and big game i really want to recover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wish I was back home and in Fairbanks so I could give you a hand. It is no fun having to track a wounded animal, wish you the best of luck!

Going back at it

No luck after 5 more hours in rain. Hydrogen peroxide helped.

Good luck to you and your wife! Keep us informed!

With black bears remember to look up when a trail seems to end. Good luck
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    With black bears remember to look up when a trail seems to end. Good luck
    Thanks for mentioning that Amigo I never even thought about that when tracking black bears! Lost one a few years back that another guy wounded and it still bugs me. I know at the time I was concentrating very hard on the ground and seriously doubt I ever looked up. Talked to some other hunters two weeks later that ended up shooting but I felt horrible that it was in pain that entire time.

another thing about black bears is they will sometime circle back on themselves. You may want to go back to the shooting site and start circling from there.

My buddy thought he'd lost one one spring. When I got there we tracked it about 1/4 mile, ran out of sign... went back to my 4 whlr to get lights and stumbled right on top of it, less than 50 feet from where he shot it.

good luck, and since it's been cool... hide should be okay for a day. meat may be questionable though.

stick to the blood and good luck,
    Chris

went out for a few more hours. I did video of her hunt so I'm burning it to DVD right now so I can do a frame by frame to see if I can tell exactly where she hit him. We found tissue where she shot it on the far side of the bear so I'm pretty sure it was a pass through shot. The rain gave us a hard time this morning but I brought some hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and we found a few more drops of blood that way. We found a couple spots where he stopped and bled for awhile and it pooled up. I'm thinking she may not have hit him right where we thought she did and we may have pushed him. Probably going to go back out after reviewing the video. The only dogs I've found for tracking are in the Mat-Su. I'm not sure if all this rain we had is going to completely wash away all the blood.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Make sure also that Harvest Ticket has been completed if needed in the area.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

found someone with a blood tracking dog. We went out for about 4 hours today and the dog lost the scent at the same spot I lost the track yesterday. We searched for awhile longer after the dog lost the scent but nothing. Then we went back to my stand to check my trail camera and a bear that looks exactly like the one my wife shot was at the stand. I'm now thinking she might have hit it too low and he didn't die. She showed me again on a pic we pulled up on the internet where she was aiming and it was a bit low for the angle to the bear from the stand. I think she might have hit it in the brisket and it may have clotted up and the bear may have made it.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I had a friend that shot and wounded a blackie at his bait station, and the bear ran off wounded. I came out the next morning and jumped the bear in dense cover, but couldn't get off a shot in time. Saw the arrow sticking out of its left side, still moving ok. (The bear was hit too far forward and the broadhead was embedded in the scapula). We searched some more and I told my buddy to continue sitting on the stand, 'cause with the bear wounded, it might come back for an easy meal. Two nights later, the bear showed up and he took it with his 45-70 just to be sure. Fortunately a happy ending for him.

No Ted Nugent here Amigo

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    No Ted Nugent here Amigo

LOL good stuff

Default blood tracking

these blood tracking dogs reely sound neat. but if they quit following when the blooding stops that don't seem like a good thing since the animal must have bin wounded. why are they trained to quit following when there is no more blood?
    hey thanks
    wes

The owners of these blood tracking dogs seem to be providing a service free of charge, and they don't seem to have an interest in hunting non wounded game with their dogs. The tracking of blood helps distinguish such involvement.

I assume the blood trackers donít want their dogs to pick up the trail of a non injured animal if the non injured and injured animals should cross paths. This occurrence would be very likely as the blood trackers come out after an exhaustive initial search and perhaps days after the shot.

They aren't trained to stop at all. It had been almost 48 hours and raining. He just lost the scent, not stopped by training.

please except my apologys. just going bu what the gentlemen said about his blood tracking dog(s) in the anchorage area both in the threed and when i talked with him over the phone.
    wes
    Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    They aren't trained to stop at all. It had been almost 48 hours and raining. He just lost the scent, not stopped by training.

So if you wound a black bear, don't recover it, punch your tag....and then it shows up at your bait, can you legally harvest it?

Arent you just following thru on the first wounding at that point? My point is would it make sense to sit the bait in hopes that it comes back like Trapak mentioned?

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    So if you wound a black bear, don't recover it, punch your tag....and then it shows up at your bait, can you legally harvest it?

Arent you just following thru on the first wounding at that point? My point is would it make sense to sit the bait in hopes that it comes back like Trapak mentioned?

That is an interesting question, i've been wondering that myself.
    The Second Amendment.......Know it, love it, support it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast