Thread: Video. What is your opinion?

Default Video. What is your opinion?

I just found this video online. Looks like the state might be getting as strict as some of us want them to be on King Salmon fishing. Maybe we should start cutting more nets in order to save our salmon population?

http://youtu.be/dJ1-Sjlv75s
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it is not fish they are after."
    -Henry David Thoreau

My opinion is he cut one mesh to get a gilled fish out and they tried their best attempt at 'occupy' style hype tactics.

It wouldn't have been an issue in the first place if they weren't fishing illegally.

Damage done. Not a one of those fish gets to spawn.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

the majority of the population on this board lives in placesaccessible by road and with stores with reasonable prices. we have to rememberthat the fish make up the livelihood of these people all winter long wheregroceries are too expensive to buy. personally i wouldn't be fishing it, but ilive in the city now and don't have to worry about feeding the people of thevillage. i'm not saying what they are doing is right, but i am approaching the situation with an open mind and seeing both sides of the fence
    hook, line, sinker, done.

Many of us have had to move from the "country" to the city. Not because we wanted to, but because times change and we had to "follow the jobs" so we could feed our families. Some people choose to live where the times and life styles have changed over time. It's a choice. Breaking the law is still illegal plain and simple regardless if it is "the way we always done it".

Quote Originally Posted by fishak View Post
    the majority of the population on this board lives in placesaccessible by road and with stores with reasonable prices. we have to rememberthat the fish make up the livelihood of these people all winter long wheregroceries are too expensive to buy. personally i wouldn't be fishing it, but ilive in the city now and don't have to worry about feeding the people of thevillage. i'm not saying what they are doing is right, but i am approaching the situation with an open mind and seeing both sides of the fence
    They want to maintain their traditional lifestyle. I give them credit for that. More power to them as long as doing so isn't causing negative impacts on others. Having said that, if they claim they can't afford food, I question how they could afford the video camera or cell phone with data package they have. I question the computer and internet service they had to load it online. It's a case of their priorities for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Fly Guy View Post
    Many of us have had to move from the "country" to the city. Not because we wanted to, but because times change and we had to "follow the jobs" so we could feed our families. Some people choose to live where the times and life styles have changed over time. It's a choice. Breaking the law is still illegal plain and simple regardless if it is "the way we always done it".
    I agree. Illigal is illegal, plain and simple.

Default Sad business . . .

Damage done. Not a one of those fish gets to spawn.
    And neither did one out of every twelve caught-and-released Kenai kings.

Sad business . . no easy answers . . can't help feeling sorry for those folks . . a lot more damage done there than those few fish that didn't spawn . . . talk about myopic vision . .

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    They want to maintain their traditional lifestyle. I give them credit for that. More power to them as long as doing so isn't causing negative impacts on others. Having said that, if they claim they can't afford food, I question how they could afford the video camera or cell phone with data package they have. I question the computer and internet service they had to load it online. It's a case of their priorities for the most part.
    If you notice they weren't exactly maintaining their traditional life style. Pretty sure boats and gill nets don't count. With that being said I feel bad for them, but like Nook said illegal is still illegal. Not to be mean but I wonder what they will say when the fish are all gone, pretty sure they will blame the white man.

Question You think?

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    . . I wonder what they will say when the fish are all gone, pretty sure they will blame the white man.
    Who knew? . . .

Quote Originally Posted by kenaibow fan View Post
    If you notice they weren't exactly maintaining their traditional life style. Pretty sure boats and gill nets don't count. With that being said I feel bad for them, but like Nook said illegal is still illegal. Not to be mean but I wonder what they will say when the fish are all gone, pretty sure they will blame the white man.
    That's exactly my point. They will yell and complain all day saying that we are infringing on their ability to maintain their traditional lifestyle, yet conveniently ignor the fact that it is not longer anything like it was before. They rely on the bigger communities to subsidize a lot of their services. They rely on the bigger communities and businesses to provide equipment (boats, atvs, nets, etc...). As soon as something comes up that impedes them in any way, they cry boody murder.

"Alaska native, here is a brand new shiny oil stove. Now you don't have to cut wood anymore. Here is a shiny new outboard motor, now you don't have to paddle anymore....all you have to do is find a job to buy fuel and your life will be so much easier."

I'd say we have infringed on their lifestyle just a little. Still, not an excuse to break the law.

They can go back to chopping wood and rowing boats if they want anytime, nothing was forced. I'm not a racist but am sick of reading about the outrage over these type of events in the news from the Native community acting like the world is ending and they're going to starve to death. I have an extremely hard time believing that they absolutely need the fish (kings) to survive. If they can't catch kings, I'm sure there are hundreds of thousands of chums, pinks, coho, and reds to make the difference- what about dollies, whitefish, pike aswell? What about all the marine mammals that regular resident's can't harvest? What about the liberal limits in place for subsistence hunting? At the same time when the tables are turned (such as PT. hope caribou massacre or wanton fish waste occurances) everything is shoved under the table and it's accepted. If you break the law, expect to pay the consequences, regardless of race.

Quote Originally Posted by DannerAK View Post
    "Alaska native, here is a brand new shiny oil stove. Now you don't have to cut wood anymore. Here is a shiny new outboard motor, now you don't have to paddle anymore....all you have to do is find a job to buy fuel and your life will be so much easier."

I'd say we have infringed on their lifestyle just a little. Still, not an excuse to break the law.
    Yeah I have to agree with this one too, but it's not like they can't get a job, or the fact that SOME of the things they get comes from money the government gives them, and they CHOOSE to buy them. Pretty much we will never right the wrongs that were done to their ANCESTORS, but lets be real here enough is enough already. They ( and this only applies to the ones who do this) need to stop crying for hand outs because some one hosed their great grand daddy, follow the law and lastly try to better them selves ( however that may be, legally). Now Im done.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    They can go back to chopping wood and rowing boats if they want anytime, nothing was forced.
    A nomadic people were forced to stop moving, settle, and form regional corporations and village councils, and no longer be able to live a traditional lifestyle. Pretty sure they can't just go back to the way they were. Today they try to continue a traditional lifestyle by harvesting the foods of their ancestors in a modern way.

A nomadic people were forced to stop moving, settle, and form regional corporations and village councils, and no longer be able to live a traditional lifestyle. Pretty sure they can't just go back to the way they were. Today they try to continue a traditional lifestyle by harvesting the foods of their ancestors in a modern way.
    problem is now they are to lazy with the ipods and internet and their smartphones. most them village people catch fix on the nintendo Wii while eating pizza.
    Semper Fi!

Thumbs up

+1 . . . . .

I haven't heard anythig about the population changes in the villages they are trying to support. In the "old days" there where maybe dozens of villagers, now there are hundreds of villagers living off the same land and waters that could support the dozens in days gone by. You can't expect the same land and waters to support hundreds of times more people than the same land and waters did for dozens. Just my opinion of course. Even when they were more nomadic the areas got hunted and fished out and they had to move to follow the resource. It's not a nomadic culture anymore... that is unless the marines come in and move their villiages because they were built up too close to the rivers and are now being threatend since they don't move around any more. Again, Just my opinion.

+2
    hook, line, sinker, done.