Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Project "Pimp my 2012 6x6"

Smile Project "Pimp my 2012 6x6"

Well girls, the time has arrived. I picked up my new 2012 6x6 from Hatcher Pass for what I thought was a very good price considering the MSRP. That and they were the only dealer in Southcentral that even had any. I felt even better about my price considering it was less than what a used 2010 with 800 miles on it went for. And sure that had a winch and heated grips, but let's be serious - accessories don't add much retail value to machine. Lately it seems like used ATVs have really been holding their value, not to mention 2009 and newer Big Bosses. They took my fake counter check, and I was out the door! The build date on this thing is 06/04/2012 - hasn't even been around one month yet!

Want to see a NEKKID 6x6?
    IMG_9040.jpg

It's nice working on a squeaky clean machine!! I have only driven it around my paved driveway. Yes, some will probably think I'm nuts. I bought this for a kid hauler, so I'm working on the base to hold two car seats in the bed, then getting the roll bar made before we venture out too much. I'm not building this to be the perfect hunting rig, although I will certainly be able to use it for that if I so desire. This is more of the family Cadillac NON-Side-by-side.

IMG_9044.jpg

Taking the bed to Cash's Machine and Fabrication in the AM to start on the aluminum roll bar/gas tank. Then taking the fenders and Barf Green plastics to get painted soon. I like that "Aurora Blue" Sportsman Touring from a couple years back - I wish those fenders fit on here. Any suggestions on ATV painters? At this point, I'm planning on taking them to Paul Reed of Alaska Hydrographics for a paint job. He does the ATV camo water transfers and claims the paint is pretty darn tough. I expect it to scratch though. I might even put some of that 3M film on the outer edges of the fenders and similar wear areas. I'm open to suggestions here too. I *think* the Boardwalk Blue 400 Sportsman's plastic might work, but I'm guessing the chassis that the 400 is in is slightly narrower than the 800 chassis even though they visually look the same and have the identical 2012 front end. That blue is also on the "soft" side of my preferences.

Anyone know how I could find out if a Warn XT40 winch would shoehorn in the front of this rig? I have the XT30 on my 450 Grizz and love it - the wireless remote is flawless. I've decided I DON'T need to mess with the winch platform that can swap from front to back.

This should be a fun project. The other area I'm not sold on yet are tires. I definitely want radials for the ride, but people seem to have lots of issues with XTRs. The GBC Spartacus tires have piqued my interested, but I've never heard any reports on them. I want as aggressive lug as possible without a terribly lumpy ride from the lugs. I wish Maxxis made a radial Zilla! I like the Radial Bighorns too, but those lugs are less than an inch deep...

Stay tuned!

I've seen Paul's work and it's top notch. However, I wonder how well it (or any other coating) will resist damage when the fenders are bent...keep us updated!

I would think that most guys who get the camo hyrdographics jobs are doing to be doing at least a little brush-bashing. I'd be interested so see some of his work that is a couple years old!

On a side note, does anyone know if any of Pure Polaris' EPS kits work the Sportsman? They're in the ATV category, but other sites only list them as add-ons for the Ranger. Based off rimfirematt's and other steering feedback, I think I'll put on an EPS kit if I can.

Mudlites dont get really "choppy" like other (this isnt my link i have no idea why it is here) mud tires, they are specificly desighned so the treads over lap. They also come in diffrent tread depths Xl XXL. Also, consider tracks. I have seen these big boss rigs in chest deep powder with the tracks on them. When you live in a place that has winter 7 months out of the year, tracks are cheaper than a snow machine

Cheapest place i have found them: Rockey mountian ATV
    Last edited by Spookum; 06-26-2012 at 12:59. Reason: I DIDNT POST THAT LINK FOR MUD TIRES

SD
    You will love it
    I have a 2011 6X6 I have a 3500 winch, frount brush bumper and wind shield I built a rear box rack also( for camp gear and moose)
    FYI when you git it built up like you like it and it feels like it maybe to top heave (With the car seats and kid,os) you might look in to wheel spacers for the rear?
    And for the tiers even if they say 10psi in them I run 5 in the rear and 4 1/2 in the frount 10 is for max load ( a 800 pd moose)and camp gear
    just like a ball the more air you put in them the higher you will bounce

just be safe and use your head you will have a the time of your life

PS
    just to let every one know I do not have any thing against SXS they just will not fit where i ride

The biggest challenge with aftermarket accessories is compatibility. They all might be compatible with the stock machine, but not with each other.

For example, I want to install a Warn ProVantage front plow mount, but I'm not sure if that will also work with KFI's winch and ATV Guru's Python brush guard.

I plan to order up some Ricochet A-Arm protectors but I'll have to see if I can get a second rear set.

I'm planning on tapping into the fuel line under the stock gas tank for my rollbar tank. That way it is easy to return to stock and I can have valves to switch back and forth.

I will have a bid from Allen at Cash's machine and welding tomorrow on the rollbar - curious on how much I'll be looking at.

Has anyone done the "3 headlight" mod to a Sportsman before? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/POLARIS-SPORT...#ht_500wt_1123

A video of it in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRrUxqSNlmc

I need to confirm though that low beams are JUST the low beams, then high is all 3, rather all 3 ALWAYS on regardless of switch location.

Also, I've always been a Warn guy, but the Superwinch is definitely catching my attention! $170 from Amazon and appears to be a beefy design.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I wonder how well it (or any other coating) will resist damage when the fenders are bent
    just happened to see this. flexible plastics are coated with a flexible clearcoat. the fenders will bend just fine. however it will not hold up to being folded in half. there is a point of failure but regular riding wont see that.

the products i use are as durable as the paint job on your car. probably even tougher seeing as its a custom application and not a production run. i use automotive and industrial grade paints and clears, and duracoat on my firearms.

Here's a thread too about the headlight mod. I might have to refer to this Polaris forum occasionally for ideas.

http://www.polarisatvforums.com/forums/polaris-atv-how-tos/12612-instructions-how-do-relay-3-headlight-mod-complete-video.html

Quote Originally Posted by preed View Post
    just happened to see this. flexible plastics are coated with a flexible clearcoat. the fenders will bend just fine. however it will not hold up to being folded in half. there is a point of failure but regular riding wont see that.

the products i use are as durable as the paint job on your car. probably even tougher seeing as its a custom application and not a production run. i use automotive and industrial grade paints and clears, and duracoat on my firearms.
    Good report, Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Has anyone done the "3 headlight" mod to a Sportsman before? http://www.ebay.ca/itm/POLARIS-SPORT...#ht_500wt_1123

A video of it in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRrUxqSNlmc

I need to confirm though that low beams are JUST the low beams, then high is all 3, rather all 3 ALWAYS on regardless of switch location.

Also, I've always been a Warn guy, but the Superwinch is definitely catching my attention! $170 from Amazon and appears to be a beefy design.

If I had to do a winch purchase over I would go with these guys. Great reviews on the Polaris Ranger Forum and cheaper than Warn with just a good of product and some better features IMO. I have the Polaris 4500lb winch and have had zero problems, but I also paid $600 for it, and another $100+ to change from wire to synthetic. The viper comes with synthetic and is half the price!

https://motoalliance.com/Site.Store....ntents&catId=6

Excellent report 1S1K! Seems confirmation to me. I just ordered two Terra 35s from Amazon with Synthetic and shipped free to Alaska! $400 for TWO winches with great reviews. Not too shabby! I'll probably throw a Warn remote on the front winch - or maybe there would even be a way to use a large, watertight DPDT switch to use it on both!

Also, in tire/wheel related news, I'm going with Vision Buckshot 14" wheels and Mudlite XTRs. I know, I know - I will probably puncture a sidewall. But I'm willing to take that risk for the ride quality. Other outfit needs to come up with an aggressive MUD radial! ITP doesn't have much competition in that area. I guess folks figure if they're going to be mudding, they don't need a comfy trail radial.

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    If I had to do a winch purchase over I would go with these guys. Great reviews on the Polaris Ranger Forum and cheaper than Warn with just a good of product and some better features IMO. I have the Polaris 4500lb winch and have had zero problems, but I also paid $600 for it, and another $100+ to change from wire to synthetic. The viper comes with synthetic and is half the price!

https://motoalliance.com/Site.Store....ntents&catId=6
    Nice weight rating... and the synthetic cable would be easy to work with. Do they have remote control capability?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanSD View Post
    Excellent report 1S1K! Seems confirmation to me. I just ordered two Terra 35s from Amazon with Synthetic and shipped free to Alaska! $400 for TWO winches with great reviews. Not too shabby! I'll probably throw a Warn remote on the front winch - or maybe there would even be a way to use a large, watertight DPDT switch to use it on both!

Also, in tire/wheel related news, I'm going with Vision Buckshot 14" wheels and Mudlite XTRs. I know, I know - I will probably puncture a sidewall. But I'm willing to take that risk for the ride quality. Other outfit needs to come up with an aggressive MUD radial! ITP doesn't have much competition in that area. I guess folks figure if they're going to be mudding, they don't need a comfy trail radial.
    Ummmm. You're actually sacrifice ride quality with 14" wheels. Less sidewall, less flex.

1S1K - Superwinch has the switch plus the "wired" remote - look on Amazon and you can see them. The Warn wireless remote is someone universal since it has the receiver and you just tap in to the handlebar switch.

Touche - Can't argue with you TWB. Cosmetic appearance is important on this family wagon, okay? Work with me. My bride is happier when the wheeler "looks good" - and I can't argue with her on that. What's odd is how so many of the larger bore ATVs are coming with 14s from the factory! Don't understand that one. Even ugly steel 14s on some Polaris models. So even more reason the radials are necessary.

With that said, I never knew factory offset was so challenging to find in aftermarket wheels! STI makes the HD2 in a 6+1 offset, but they only make one width - 7"! Does anyone think it will be squeezing it too much to a run a 27x11R-14 on a 14x7 wheel? I really wish I could find a 14x8 wheel with a 6+1 offset for the rear.

No argument here. After 3400 miles and 2 Rangers, I've seen and done a lot of mods that were good and some that weren't.

Has anyone played with the clutching on the 6x6s? My engagement RPM seems a little high, and as such causes a slight jerk at the initial engagement. I'd like to smooth that out, but improve higher RPM performance to offset the 27" mudlites. I'm trying to find the factory engagement specs...

There is SO much space in the rear chassis above the diffs. I'm trying to think of a good use for that - another gas tank perhaps? Any ideas? I'm so used to working and building snowmachines where everything is CRAMMED into a chassis, it's nice to have lots of space to mod/build/dream about possibilities!

I'm going to copy this guy's rear winch mount:
    IMG_3537.JPGIMG_3543.JPG

I forgot you can only do two photos per post. Here's how he finished it off. Looks clean aside from all those rubber bands!

IMG_3546.JPG

EPI mudder clutch kit.

TWB - did you run that on a Sportsman or Ranger? What were you looking for and what results did it give you? On their site, they say the "mudder" kit is for 28'+ tires, and I'm only going to be running 27s, so I think Sport Utility kit would be better. I don't want to lose much top end if I don't have to, I just want smoother shifting with slightly increased torque to go from 25" stock tires to 27s.

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast