Thread: Whittier Report

Default Whittier Report

Well, we just got back froma long rough day on water in PWS. The forecast was 10Kts and 2' seas. It was more like a solid 25kts and 4' seas. Made it out a ways and anchored up early for slack tide and hooked into a few nice fish. The first was an 87 lber, then a 76, 32 and finally a little ping pong paddle. So, we moved to some smooth water and picked up several rockfish and the weather caught up to us. We tried several other places but the weather just got worse throughout the day.

Stopped in to pick up some oysters on Perry. Very nice people. Not too sure how they deal with living out there year round, but I'm sure glad to have some fresh oysters to cook up tomorrow with the 2 gallons of shrimp we pulled today.

Over all it was a good day fishing, but one of the worst days of weather I've had out there. I sure wish they would get the bouys fixed so we could have a more accurate weather/seas notice.

Rob
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Nice job..you guys did really well.

I only have 300 foot of rode on my anchor - going to have to pick up a 600 foot shot before I go out this weekend.

I can't figure out a good way to splice the rope I have onto a new shot...it is nice rope, but not standard 3 strand.

Sounds like sitting on the hook is the way to go.....

Anchoring up is what we have been doing for sure. I just bought 600' of 3 strand and hate it. I didn't buy the 8 plait because (I) couldn't splice my chain to it. I really regret it now. 3 strand sucks. It's already fraying and looks like it won't hold up more than a couple years. Not sure if it's my windlass or from pulling with a bouy, but it's just not doing well.
    Depends on where you are buying your new rode from, they might be willing to splice it together for you.....
    MMSI# 338232859

Wow...I'm impressed with the halibut coming in out of Whittier this year. They seem considerably larger on average than I'm used to seeing. One of these days when I have my own boat someone is going to have to clue me in on where to find them. Looking forward to buying some super fresh oysters, too!

Knot Too Shabby at all!

Seems like the only way to find those butt spots is to spend gas and time......pretty tight lipped - and rightfully so.

Thanks for the report Rob. Nice fish. I only caught 2 chickens in my last three trips out there but seeing your pics encourages me to keep at it. I probably need to just burn the fuel and head to S. Knight or Montague.

Actually these fish weren't caught far out like the ones last week. The weather stopped us from going out far so we just found some big humps in DEEP water and anchored up on top. The concept is working really well for me lately. Big humps in deep water near deeper water......

Bullelkklr, sent ya a PM.
    MMSI# 338232859

2 weeks out for arctic wire and rope to make a splice for ya!

I'd give Steve (potbuilder) a shout. Not sure if he's in town or not because I passed him on Muldoon last night and he was towing the Snow Squall southbound. But I'm sure he'd be able to splice it up for ya or at least show ya how.
    MMSI# 338232859

I'm no expert but did learn a lot about rigging from these PDF's. Would like to see the dvd's just haven't ordered them yet. Hope it helps with your splicing.

http://www.samsonrope.com/splicing-instructions.cfm