Thread: Chitina/Copper River River Cell Phone Coverage

Default Chitina/Copper River River Cell Phone Coverage

FYI

AT&T is worthless at Chitina. Jerod had 4+ bars with GCI at the bridge. I've see people using their phone at Salmon Pt, but don't remember what they had.

There's a free public wifii for Copper Valley Telephone in Chitina that requires a username and password.

While I couldn't use my iPhone to call my wife, I could use the handy bubble level app on the grate over the fire.

I had service just about everywhere with ACS. Pulled my phone out to take a picture of the rock slide by Haley Creek and had 3 bars. No data though, but text worked fine.

Right on...

I remembered that the gal's phone I borrowed at Salmon Point was Verizon with an out-of-state area code. Go figger, AT&T.

Remember life before cell phones???? Duckdon

Tony, I have ACS, not GCI. Not sure how GCI comes in down there.

Thanks for the card, got it in the mail on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    Right on...

I remembered that the gal's phone I borrowed at Salmon Point was Verizon with an out-of-state area code. Go figger, AT&T.
    Verizon uses ACS towers, so that explains that. I concur, AT&T coverage over there is horrible. You have to drive out past the airport to the big overlook of the Copper to get coverage, which is kind of a pain.

For what it's worth, we had some promotional minutes through our car insurance on our On-Star vehicle satellite phone doohicky and it worked great at O'Brien Creek.

My truck still has the XM/Sirius promo and we were listing to it while cleaning fish at the boat launch. Interesting that I can get it in Chitina and Prudhoe, but it doesn't come in well in Anchorage or Fairbanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckdon View Post
    Remember life before cell phones???? Duckdon
    I agree with Duckdon. Fish now, talk later.