Thread: What method of fishing/lures/bait etc??

Default What method of fishing/lures/bait etc??

Well guys I am two weeks away from heading north and having never been to AK I have no idea what to expect? I will be heading out of Anchorage the first week of July for two weeks of RV travel. Posted here back in January "Clueless but Excited" while planning the trip and many of the guys provided great info. No hard fast plans other than starting out southward and will go where ever the adventure takes us. Hoping to do some fishing while there and will be bring an assortment of rod reel combos from lighter 6-10# gear to 15-20# spinning gear. Not sure where or what river we will fish really depends on what we hear once there and advise that is offered. Heard all about the combat fishing and will most likely try it if for no other reason just to watch the show. Hope to find some quieter spots if possible.

Here is one of many questions I have? When you are fishing say the Russian or Kenai what are most folks using as bait or lures? What it the typical set up that is used? I plan on buying most of my tackle once there but have tons of gear here and would like to bring some along. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated..
    thanks
    jim

Quote Originally Posted by jfish View Post
    Well guys I am two weeks away from heading north and having never been to AK I have no idea what to expect? I will be heading out of Anchorage the first week of July for two weeks of RV travel. Posted here back in January "Clueless but Excited" while planning the trip and many of the guys provided great info. No hard fast plans other than starting out southward and will go where ever the adventure takes us. Hoping to do some fishing while there and will be bring an assortment of rod reel combos from lighter 6-10# gear to 15-20# spinning gear. Not sure where or what river we will fish really depends on what we hear once there and advise that is offered. Heard all about the combat fishing and will most likely try it if for no other reason just to watch the show. Hope to find some quieter spots if possible.

Here is one of many questions I have? When you are fishing say the Russian or Kenai what are most folks using as bait or lures? What it the typical set up that is used? I plan on buying most of my tackle once there but have tons of gear here and would like to bring some along. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated..
    thanks
    jim
    The only tackle you need red fishing either Kenai or the Russian is a couple dozen coho flies and a pocket full of big split shot. No swivels, no "leaders", no other fancy gimicks.

Thanks limon please ck your pm. Any more info is appreciated. thanks

You are going the get some good answers on this one. The advice above it pretty much on for Reds. I use either plain gamakatsu hooks with Pink yarn, or the new gamakatsu coho flies. I might have spelled that wrong, but I'm a fan of them. Hook size will vary by where you fish on the kenai. You will need heavier split shot and more of them than you'd think too. I fish with 1oz at least when fishing the main river. Water levels are high and it could be tough to keep in contact with the bottom.

While the gear is simple, making it work is tough. A good drift where you keep the fly at where the fish are is key. You want to feel your weights go..tap, tap, tap (litterly I'm looking for three good bounces). I flip to about 2 o'clock to start my drift then when it goes from 12 o'clock to 10 o'clock is money time. That is when I really wait for a fish to be there. then at 10 o'clock I strip back my line and flip again. To get my fly at the fish level I play with where I'm putting the weights (how far from the fly, and there are rules about getting to close), and how heavy I'm going. In any one spot it can be different as there are different rocks and water flow there. You will lose A LOT of gear dialing it in so be patient. I spend a lot of my fishing time, actually tying everything back on. Once a get a drift dialed in and figure out where the snags are, I can fish with the same gear for hours. The only other things I'd say is maintain your hook. I like those gamakatsu as they are super sharp. The sharper your hook is the better chance you have of a good hookup. Also since they hit rocks and snags so much they bend out of shape sometimes. So have pliers and a sharpener to rehab the hooks. Once you get everything dialed in you will find you don't snag to many fish either. The hook ups are good, and then your fish on!

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    You are going the get some good answers on this one. The advice above it pretty much on for Reds. I use either plain gamakatsu hooks with Pink yarn, or the new gamakatsu coho flies. I might have spelled that wrong, but I'm a fan of them. Hook size will vary by where you fish on the kenai. You will need heavier split shot and more of them than you'd think too. I fish with 1oz at least when fishing the main river. Water levels are high and it could be tough to keep in contact with the bottom.

While the gear is simple, making it work is tough. A good drift where you keep the fly at where the fish are is key. You want to feel your weights go..tap, tap, tap (litterly I'm looking for three good bounces). I flip to about 2 o'clock to start my drift then when it goes from 12 o'clock to 10 o'clock is money time. That is when I really wait for a fish to be there. then at 10 o'clock I strip back my line and flip again. To get my fly at the fish level I play with where I'm putting the weights (how far from the fly, and there are rules about getting to close), and how heavy I'm going. In any one spot it can be different as there are different rocks and water flow there. You will lose A LOT of gear dialing it in so be patient. I spend a lot of my fishing time, actually tying everything back on. Once a get a drift dialed in and figure out where the snags are, I can fish with the same gear for hours. The only other things I'd say is maintain your hook. I like those gamakatsu as they are super sharp. The sharper your hook is the better chance you have of a good hookup. Also since they hit rocks and snags so much they bend out of shape sometimes. So have pliers and a sharpener to rehab the hooks. Once you get everything dialed in you will find you don't snag to many fish either. The hook ups are good, and then your fish on!
    Great info here, all I was thinking was Russian River when I responded. I also use bigger hooks on the Kenai, 3/0 and up! Oh and take a net, with this high water it will be tough to find a place to beach a fish!

Quote Originally Posted by jfish View Post
    Thanks limon please ck your pm. Any more info is appreciated. thanks
    In box was full, try again...