Thread: Sheefish locations

Default Sheefish locations

Hey guys, im putting time aside to catch some sheefish and was wondering where i can go in july. looking to run up north the 4th-8th. I have a 16' Jet so i can run whereever. I know the fall becomes more productive but what rivers should i look at for a july trip. Thanks
    NRA life Member JVJ

depending on how far north you want to go, i hear the minto area can produce sheefish... however that is not first hand

I hear Kotzebeu area is good?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

don't think your jet will help you to get up here to kotz but the fishing is great for sheefish right now. you need to get out of town however. went out last week in my boat with the wife and caught tons. they are all starting to get ready to head upriver i'm sure some have started heading that way already. i don't know about the rest of the state for sheefish but this seems to be the place to go for these fish.
    heres one from a couple weeks backup sheefish.jpg

Very simple! The Selawik River drainage and the Pah River Flats outside or the Village of Kobuk. They spawn in Aug and the big ones will hit your line in excess of 50+ pounds. Go get them!

Are they good eating?

i understand where to access them off fly out trips but im not able or willing for that. It needs to be a boat launch and a run with the jet. thanks though
    NRA life Member JVJ

They are in Minto Flats...I caught 2 lasr year when I flew in with Rick Gold

Man those kotz fish are so long and skinny!

Quote Originally Posted by akprideinvegas View Post
    i understand where to access them off fly out trips but im not able or willing for that. It needs to be a boat launch and a run with the jet. thanks though
    Minto and the Chatanika River are the only road accessible locations I know of in Alaska and both require a boat and the fish are in there fairly sparsely from what I understand. They are usually taken incidentally by people fishing for pike.

Quote Originally Posted by PGK View Post
    Man those kotz fish are so long and skinny!
    yeah this particular fish wasn't very fat at all. this was at ice out and the herring hadn't started running yet. much better ones were caught through the ice. i'm not sure what this fishes deal was generally they are in better shape.

photo.jpg

There are definitely some nice ones around Kotz. Wish I could've Ice Fished them a little more.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Road accessible is Yukon river up the haul road. North to as far as you can and down as far as you want to.... fishing tributary rivers and streams at the mouths...we fish for them just as you would pike off the Yukon...

And to answer the question shee's are very good eating, they are a white fish, easy to cook and season, tends to take on the flavor of what ever its seasoned with very well, and makes a great base for any fish sausages

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk