Thread: New Motor

Default New Motor

I have a 22' Searunner HT; it came with a Yamaha 115hp engine. When the boat is light, that motor does fine. However, when I get 3 fat guys, shrimp pots, and a pile of camping gear, that 115hp really isn't enough. I go from cruising at 27mph to 16mph at WOT. So, I'm thinking an upgrade to a 150 might solve the issue. For those of you with similar boats with 150 motors, are you satisfied with the power when the boat is loaded?

What's the best way to go about the upgrade? Putting the 115 on craigs list might be one way to go but I don't have the capability to remove and store the 115 myself. Of course, I'll want to use the money from selling the 115 to help pay for the 150 so I would like to make the sale before making the buy.

Any advice would be helpful,
    Thanks

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

I did the same thing with a 20' Searunner 7-8 years ago, though I put a Suzuki DF140 on it...and was very happy with it. I sold the motor off the back of the boat first, then had the new one hung a week later.

I had a 150 on a Searunner OP. If you can swing it go bigger. The 150 did okay, I got 33-35 WOT depending on load and cruised at 30-32. I was always running near WOT though and then when I needed more power in bigger water it just didn't have the torque that I wanted. If money restricts you to the 150 it will be a good motor but you won't regret going bigger if you can. My thought was that boat with a 225 on the back would be perfect!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I have the 150 on my 22 Searunner and it's plenty of power, although if I were to do it again I would hang the 225 on it. Beside's never heard anyone at the dock wishing they had less power.

i had the same boat that you have... 22'HT with the 115 Yamaha & it was ok until the lard started getting onboard! I went to a 150 Suzuki this winter & I am trying to get the prop dialed in so that I can take a couple walruses silver fishing next month. So far this year the 150 has given me about 8-9 mph increase in cruising speed & about 12-15 mph increase at WOT in some rather limited tests. I should have more info this week with rpms, speed & fuel burn. I bought the Suzuki & sold the Yamaha on consignment at xxxxxxxx xxxxxx in less than two weeks. If your 115 is in good shape & you price it reasonably, it should sell easily. You didn't say which OB brand you were looking at, but take a look at the Suzukis.
    2007 24ft NorthRiver OS
    Twin 175 Suzuki's
    "Thunderbird"
    MMSI #338033856

I have the 22' SR hardtop and originally put on a 115 Yamaha. Worked ok until I took it moose hunting and I had trouble hauling one moose. I mean barely. After 2 trips like that I swapped to the 150 Yamaha and hauling 2 moose is no problem. With al the gas and stuff you take. It jumps out of the hole and runs 30mph upriver. Doesn't seem like that much of a change, but what a difference. I go most every year and I don't feel the need for anything bigger.

I put my ocean pro 22' with 150 to the test this weekend. Had a huge load. 4 adults, 4 kids, half a tank, and a ton of gear Was able to get on step pretty easily and cruise 4500rpm/25-27mph. I was very pleased with the performance, I really doubted it would handle that load like it did. It was flat calm seas though, otherwise I never would have tried it.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I was in the same situation as DMan. I had a 22 OP with a 150hp and hated it. Wished every time out that I had a 200hp or better. If you can swing it go with a 200hp. If I ever did it again I'd go with a 200hp. If its too much money the 150hp would be a big upgrade just under prop it a bit for those times when your hauling a heavy load. Another option would be to get a 175hp Suzuki. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.