Thread: Kenai Borough building permit requirements

Default Kenai Borough building permit requirements

I'm looking at some property in the KPB and wanted to know if I were to lay in a slab and erect a pre-engineered steel building as a shop if I'd need a buidling permit or not.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Not outside city limits.

If I recall correctly only within the cities of Seward, Soldotna, Kenai, Homer and maybe Seldovia. The Borough does issue permits for areas prone to flooding however.

get a permit for a culvert if you need to have one installed.

Default Not outside city limits-checked last year

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'm looking at some property in the KPB and wanted to know if I were to lay in a slab and erect a pre-engineered steel building as a shop if I'd need a buidling permit or not.
    We are currently building outside of city limits of Soldotna. No permits or inspections are required. However, if you want anything insured the inspections are another story.

You will need to go off K-Beach road to the Borough shops (47140 East Poppy Lane, Soldotna phone 907-262-4011)and get a Drive Way Access Permit, there is no cost and it only takes a day or two, my last one only took 4 hours. As said before no permits are needed, unless you get natural gas installed, the gas company wants to be signed off by a licensed plumber for the gas lines. If you want better insurance or want to sell it in the future, you should get some of the major inspections and keep the paper work for those transactions. I did not get the inspections, but I took a lot of pictures during the construction, those work also. Good Luck Have Fun.

Here's something that might help.
    http://www2.borough.kenai.ak.us/plan...nformation.pdf

When I put my road in off the Sterling Highway out of the city limits three decades ago I needed a state permit since they own that right of way which was no big deal. They also required the installation of a culvert. That is the only permit I got for my place, there are no covenants or restrictions on the property.

Everything was built out of pocket over time, very slowly, very very slowly, in fact you never really finish when you build out of pocket haha, so no bank loan officers to deal with, no inspectors of any kind...no trespassers, lookie-loo's, busy-bodies, want-to-tell-you-how-to-build-it-types allowed. I went to the bank one time to check into borrowing money and I didn't like the loan officers snotty attitude so I waited until they had approved me for the loan and then I told them I didn't want their money because of their attitude. We are too old school to put up with the BS I guess...

The insurance people came back one time to look to make sure they were making a good bet and that was it for them, its all code or better and they were pleased.

The property tax assessor comes by once in a while and thats it, besides the critters.

DSCN0552.jpg