Thread: Lings outa Whittier

Default Lings outa Whittier

Anyone have a decent place to catch legal Ling Cod out of Whittier? I'm heading out 13-15 July and would like to bring back a couple of eaters. You don't have to give up your honey hole, just point me in the right direction as far as what structure, island and depth to look for. Of course, if you want to PM me some coordinates, I wouldn't pass them up, and I won't give them to anyone else either.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~

Look for underwater pinnacles or cliffs that drop off rapidly and in areas that have decent current around them. I've taken lings from 50' on down. Don't concentrate on a specific depth, it's the structure you are looking for. Most of the sound is deep, so if you find a pinnacle that crests at 50' enjoy the fact that you don't have to reel the fish up deeper. Some pinnacles top out at 200', others 300'. Lings tend to be near the top of the pinnacles. Don't concentrate just on pinnacles, there are underwater cliffs that have produced lings for me, as well as areas that I'd describe as underwater draws. If the chart shows structure going from say 100-200' rapidly dropping off to 600-1000+', mark your chart to explore it.

With the sound, it's worth burning fuel to get into good fishing grounds, Montague, Green, Knight are worth the time and fuel to access. I hesitate to be specific as the success of a spot varies day to day and year to year. It takes time fishing a paticular sport to get a feel for how you need to fish it successfully and some days and times of days the tide is in your favor, other times not so much. Try to identify at least a good 1/2 dozen promising areas and drift over them with jigs. If you're pulling up rockfish consistantly, then odds are you'll be getting a few lings. If you aren't catching anything within 15-30 minutes, try another spot.

At least in past years, the spots I've found ling have tended to produce mostly legal size fish.

Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Look for underwater pinnacles or cliffs that drop off rapidly and in areas that have decent current around them. I've taken lings from 50' on down. Don't concentrate on a specific depth, it's the structure you are looking for. Most of the sound is deep, so if you find a pinnacle that crests at 50' enjoy the fact that you don't have to reel the fish up deeper. Some pinnacles top out at 200', others 300'. Lings tend to be near the top of the pinnacles. Don't concentrate just on pinnacles, there are underwater cliffs that have produced lings for me, as well as areas that I'd describe as underwater draws. If the chart shows structure going from say 100-200' rapidly dropping off to 600-1000+', mark your chart to explore it.

With the sound, it's worth burning fuel to get into good fishing grounds, Montague, Green, Knight are worth the time and fuel to access. I hesitate to be specific as the success of a spot varies day to day and year to year. It takes time fishing a paticular sport to get a feel for how you need to fish it successfully and some days and times of days the tide is in your favor, other times not so much. Try to identify at least a good 1/2 dozen promising areas and drift over them with jigs. If you're pulling up rockfish consistantly, then odds are you'll be getting a few lings. If you aren't catching anything within 15-30 minutes, try another spot.

At least in past years, the spots I've found ling have tended to produce mostly legal size fish.

Great post. Thanks for that info.

Pinnacles , rocky areas is what I focus on.
    On a pinnacle, rocky area I will make a couple drifts. No hooks ups I move.. Lings are aggressive and they don't sit there and look at your bait and debate if they are hungry or not . If they see it they will eat it!!!!!
    Also current can be a big factor.... Also plan on loosing some lures.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the info. Have a great summer.
    “Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." ~Calvin Coolidge~