Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: King Salmon LIES -

Angry King Salmon LIES -

THIS POST IS POLITICAL IN NATURE. ADMINISTRATORS, DISMISS THIS AS NECESSARY!!!!

King salmon returns are in dire despair. Additionally, this comes as a direct result of overfishing, believing otherwise is foolish. Why then, would fisheries biologist TOM VANIA, the Cook Inlet Coordinator for the ADF&G, have this to say for the Anchorage Daily News

"Salmon populations are cyclic in nature.” "Right now, I have no reason to believe this is not just the bottom end of a cycle and that we won't come out of this cycle -- you see that in all game populations. But there are a lot of changes going on in the ocean environment right now surrounding global warming. Our understanding of what that's going to do to anadromous species we probably won't know for a number of years."

• Credit Anchorage Daily News – Richard Mauer

THIS QUOTE SEEMS TO DISREGARD ALL LOGIC, AND MOST CERTAINLY DISREGARDS BYCATCH FIGURES, THAT FOR KING SALMON ALONE, HAVE EQUATED TO WELL OVER 1.1 MILLION IN THE LAST 22 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!

Additionally, contact our beloved Senator Lisa Murkowski (A PRODUCT OF NEPOTISM THE LIKES OF WHICH WOULD NEVER BE ALLOWED IN OTHER STATES), who has allowed overfishing to occur while taking campaign contributions from big business seafood corporations in such large amounts that she has had to give money back!!!! ANYTHING TO MAKE A DOLLAR, INLCUDING WIPING OUT THE WILD KING SALMON POPULATION STATEWIDE, JUST LIKE THE ABALONE IN SOUTHEAST ALASKA 30 YEARS AGO!!!!! (If you are unfamiliar with this tragedy, I urge you read up on it… I fear that the King Salmon are next.)
    Last edited by Icebear; 06-27-2012 at 13:53.

One of the major rivers for the Juneau Southeast area is the Taku. They're allowed to net Kings directly in the Taku river for commercial purposes. The last figure I heard was 10,000 Kings harvested on the U.S. side of the border, and 20,000 netted out of the Taku on the Canadian side. It seems completely asinine to allow this, in my opinion.

Thanks for the contact imformation hellboy, I think it is time to take over our resources as Alaskans. I think a huge revolt is in order!

Thumbs down Boo . . hiss . . .

Quote Originally Posted by bellboy View Post
    . . Senator Lisa Murkowski . . has allowed overfishing to occur while taking campaign contributions from big business seafood corporations . .
    These sorts of politicized accusations have no place in the current discussion about king salmon declines.

Former Head of Alaska Sport fish division has a different view.

Some fishermen suspect commercial fishing trawlers are playing a role in king salmon decline.

Kevin Delaney, a consultant who once headed the state sport fishing division, said the historical peak of upper Cook Inlet kings came in the early 1950s. A drop, he said, coincided with unregulated foreign fishing outside the nation's three-mile territorial limit.

The Magnuson Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976 extended the U.S. economic zone to 200 miles, but foreign trawlers eventually were replaced by U.S. vessels catching Pollock and cod - and thousands of kings each year as bycatch from the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska.

A December 2009 report by the North Pacific Fishery Management Council noted how bycatch of kings, also called chinook salmon, gradually increased at the same time numbers were declining in Alaska streams.

"From 1990 through 2001, the Bering Sea chinook salmon bycatch average was 37,819 salmon annually," the report said. "Since 2002, chinook salmon bycatch numbers have increased substantially. The average from 2002 to 2007 was 82,311 chinook salmon, with a bycatch peak of 122,000 chinook salmon in 2007."

The council in 2009 voted to limit bycatch starting last year in the Bering Sea. If 60,000 kings are caught, pollock fishing must end, said council planner Diana Stram.

Lightbulb The rest of the story . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Fathom View Post
    Former Head of Alaska Sport fish division has a different view.

Kevin Delaney, a consultant who once headed the state sport fishing division, said the historical peak of upper Cook Inlet kings came in the early 1950s. A drop, he said, coincided with unregulated foreign fishing outside the nation's three-mile territorial limit. . .
    —the rest of Delaney's quote from the article above:

Delaney said the full significance of bycatch is not known.

"Whether it's changes in the ocean environment, competitor species, climate change, bycatch in marine fisheries or a combination of all of them, the marine waters is where the hole in this bucket is," Delaney said. "It's not in Alaskans not putting enough fish on the spawning grounds routinely across all of the streams that produce king salmon." (emphasis added)

Default Accusations, These ARE NOT!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    These sorts of politicized accusations have no place in the current discussion about king salmon declines.
    HMMMMM…

Politicized accusations would indicate information based upon something other than evidentiary support. Every statement made regarding these “politicized accusations” has been based on FACTS published by the ADF&G, NOAA, political research, the Murkowski campaign offices, independent scientific researchers and consultants. Forgive me I have much to learn in life, however MARCUS, accusations these ARE NOT!

MANY RELIABLE SOURCES INDICATE THAT REPORTED BYCATCH FIGURES, FROM OBSERVERS ON ONLY 30 PERCENT OF THE COMMERCIAL FLEET, ARE AT BEST UNDERREPORTED. ADDITIONALLY, IT IS POSTULATED THAT THE ACTUAL FIGURES REGARDING BYCATCH FROM THE COMMERCIAL FLEET IN ALASKA ARE MUCH HIGHER THAN THAT OF THE 1.1 MILLION FIGURE OVER THE PAST 2 DECADES…REPORTING THIS WOULD BE A “POLITICIZED ACCUSATION”, INSTEAD I CHOSE TO MERELY POINT OUT FACTS!

FURTHERMORE, if “these sorts of politicize accusations” have no place in the current discussion about the welfare of the King Salmon in Alaskan Waters… I BEG AND PLEAD WITH YOU… WHAT DOES???

**SITTING ON OUR HANDS AND WATCHING KING SALMON RETURNS FAIL, ISN’T CUTTING IT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFishTerminator View Post
    One of the major rivers for the Juneau Southeast area is the Taku. They're allowed to net Kings directly in the Taku river for commercial purposes. The last figure I heard was 10,000 Kings harvested on the U.S. side of the border, and 20,000 netted out of the Taku on the Canadian side. It seems completely asinine to allow this, in my opinion.
    I don't know the numbers but it's the same way on the stikine for Canada anyway.

HMMMMM…

Politicized accusations would indicate information based upon something other than evidentiary support. Every statement made regarding these “politicized accusations” has been based on FACTS published by the ADF&G, NOAA, political research, the Murkowski campaign offices, independent scientific researchers and consultants. Forgive me I have much to learn in life, however MARCUS, accusations these ARE NOT!

MANY RELIABLE SOURCES INDICATE THAT REPORTED BYCATCH FIGURES, FROM OBSERVERS ON ONLY 30 PERCENT OF THE COMMERCIAL FLEET, ARE AT BEST UNDERREPORTED. ADDITIONALLY, IT IS POSTULATED THAT THE ACTUAL FIGURES REGARDING BYCATCH FROM THE COMMERCIAL FLEET IN ALASKA ARE MUCH HIGHER THAN THAT OF THE 1.1 MILLION FIGURE OVER THE PAST 2 DECADES…REPORTING THIS WOULD BE A “POLITICIZED ACCUSATION”, INSTEAD I CHOSE TO MERELY POINT OUT FACTS!

FURTHERMORE, if “these sorts of politicize accusations” have no place in the current discussion about the welfare of the King Salmon in Alaskan Waters… I BEG AND PLEAD WITH YOU… WHAT DOES???

**SITTING ON OUR HANDS AND WATCHING KING SALMON RETURNS FAIL, ISN’T CUTTING IT!!!
    Dude you have 10 official posts. Who do you work for???

4 of them have less than 100 posts.....
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Odd with so little history to come flyin in pushin their agenda so hard core. Gotta ease into it gently son.

Embrace the suck!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Odd with so little history to come flyin in pushin their agenda so hard core. Gotta ease into it gently son.

Embrace the suck!!!!
    Yeah, people around here with lots of posts hold themselves above newcomers with few posts, and don't care much for newcomers CALLING IT LIKE IT IS! Gimme a break.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Yeah, people around here with lots of posts hold themselves above newcomers with few posts, and don't care much for newcomers CALLING IT LIKE IT IS! Gimme a break.
    Not true. Has nothing to do with it. I'll respect anyone's opinion but these almost push pretty hard and makes you wonder.

Embrace the suck!

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Not true. Has nothing to do with it. I'll respect anyone's opinion but these almost push pretty hard and makes you wonder.
    Well, now that is the most political statement of the whole thread. The message is true and accurate, but your willingness to accept it depends on who the messenger is? That sucks.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

Dammit taiga.

I'm nobody! Who are you?
    Are you nobody, too?

-Emily Dickenson

Be careful gentlemen, I am neither your 'dude' nor your son. It would behoove you to think further about the statement "so little history to come flyin in pushin their agenda so hard core"... I certainly do not have much history on this forum, I do however have more lineage in Alaska than most. In fact, I am a lifelong Alaskan resident, the son of a parent born in Alaska prior to statehood, and the grandson of a man the likes of whom used to be Frank Murkowski's boss. Further, I personally had the opportunity to speak with the late Ted Stevens in an informal basis on a number of occasions; how about you?

I am pushing the agenda of the King Salmon, an agenda Alaskan's everywhere have ignored for too long. Additionally, the notion that I have an agenda, or work for someone who does, be it political or business related, is simply wrong. I could care less if businesses’ that rely on salmon returns fail if it means that just 1 wild king salmon returns to its natural spawning ground. I've seen first hand industries’ that used to run this state collapse. Let’s hope that in the future fisheries in this state are managed better than that of Southeast Alaska’s timber industry. And, in case you have too little Alaskan history to understand what I’m speaking of, long before oil interests ran this state it was that of the timber industry. In 1998 the pulp mills in Southeast Alaska closed forever, all but marking the end of an era. Gone forever are the days of high-grade clear cutting in the Tongass National Forest (THANK GOD!). Consider post 11 my last.....and an actual Alaskan, not some fool from Kansas, on to other things.

Yep. got me beat.

I'm here for gentle conversation, humor and ribbing.

On a side note, I too think the chinook are in for a big hurtin.

I think there's a massive political agenda backed by commercial dollars.

I say lock it down boys! Bleach and commercial fishermen will net the last one just to catch that sockeye!!

HMMMMM…

You might be misunderstanding me. I am not questioning the seriousness of bycatch. I am simply saying that the bycatch issue should stand alone to rise or fall on its own merits, irrespective of politicized accusations that Sen. Murkowski is being "paid off" by the commercial fishermen or by Bob Penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    You might be misunderstanding me. I am not questioning the seriousness of bycatch. I am simply saying that the bycatch issue should stand alone to rise or fall on its own merits, irrespective of politicized accusations that Sen. Murkowski is being "paid off" by the commercial fishermen or by Bob Penny.
    If only this were possible. The sad fact is that the bycatch issue will never stand to rise or fall on it's own merits, as long as the industrialized commercial fishing industry exerts such great influence over politicians, regardless of whether such influence is by lobbying or outright bribery.
    #Resist

It was noted that someone had less than ten posts. Question is... what does the number of post have to do with ones views and or thought on the posted subject??? Is it 2,008??? Does the number of post qualify one as an expert???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast