Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Koyukuk partner needed

Default Koyukuk partner needed

hello, this year i got lucky enough to draw 830(late season). my partner(was) drew 892 and we were planning on headed up this fall. buuuut he seems to have knocked his ol lady up and she is due in oct and cant afford to take the time off from work... so i am need of a partner. i have a 20' alweld with a suzuki 140 prop/jet. i already have 4 55 drums full of fuel ( trying to save a lil $ by not having to buy as much on river). this hunt has been in plannin for over a year and it sucks but im happy for my buddy at the same time..our plan was to run up and hunt his tag then hit the area i wanted to hunt my tag. with or without a tag, if interested let me know. im 24 yrs old, and love to hunt. im not the type to sit around and be a "road hunter" if ya know what i mean. i will be bringing some beer but by no means am i a drunk and i am goin up there to get my big bull! i planned on leavin the 13th of sept. putting in at yukon bridge. im aware of the logistics as where we planned on goin is approx 575 miles one way, but only really needed to go that far because of buddys tag. i plan on at least goin to dulbi r. and most likely above Huslia. i have good gear and lots of it. any more info can be discussed over phone. i live in Wasilla. thanks for your time. 907-715-0880. Austin. ps ive made trip to dulbi in 2008.

Did you do this trip in that boat with 220gal of gas w/ gear in 08? That seems like a bit much in that boat i have done that trip seveal times in my 26' and i am carring 280 of fuel. You will also be burning alot with that much weight as well. Just a thought. Good luck The other problem is the 55gal drums are too hard to handle on your refills since Galena is the only fuel you can get at the shoreline. You may be able top still get fuel at the shore in Ruby as well.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Ruby normally has a hose going down to the river so boats can fuel right there. Gas price in Ruby should be much less than in Galena.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

What day are you planning to come back?

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Did you do this trip in that boat with 220gal of gas w/ gear in 08? That seems like a bit much in that boat i have done that trip seveal times in my 26' and i am carring 280 of fuel. You will also be burning alot with that much weight as well. Just a thought. Good luck The other problem is the 55gal drums are too hard to handle on your refills since Galena is the only fuel you can get at the shoreline. You may be able top still get fuel at the shore in Ruby as well.
    Actually ill leave bridge with 270 as i have a 50 gal bow tank. no it was a 22 foot alumaweld in 08. like said before, galena had a hose to go to shoreline, so i will not have to piss ant the 55's around. only time i have to move them is out of my truck in the boat at the bridge, which i will do using 4 wheeler ramps. my boat will push 3k with prop. it amazing what width and hp will do. i have 6 weeks off from work so i am not in a hurry. and the 140 does great on gas! i will prolly only burn 80-90 gals to galena from bridge. and i have a buddy in koyukuk that i will leave some gas with for the return home. 270x6.5=1755 of fuel. + gear lookin at about 2500 lbs goin down river. packing light. i have a small cab...so i do have the space.

Quote Originally Posted by DucksAndDogs View Post
    What day are you planning to come back?
    depending on how far i go(we), and how the hunting is goin....im gonna guess 23-25th. thats just a ball park guess. im off till oct 5th so im in no hurry. plan on fishing/ watching gutpile etc. you have to soak it all in up there!!

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    Actually ill leave bridge with 270 as i have a 50 gal bow tank. no it was a 22 foot alumaweld in 08. like said before, galena had a hose to go to shoreline, so i will not have to piss ant the 55's around. only time i have to move them is out of my truck in the boat at the bridge, which i will do using 4 wheeler ramps. my boat will push 3k with prop. it amazing what width and hp will do. i have 6 weeks off from work so i am not in a hurry. and the 140 does great on gas! i will prolly only burn 80-90 gals to galena from bridge. and i have a buddy in koyukuk that i will leave some gas with for the return home. 270x6.5=1755 of fuel. + gear lookin at about 2500 lbs goin down river. packing light. i have a small cab...so i do have the space.
    keep in mind...on an average i can go about 950 miles on 270 gals of gas. calculated. averaging 3.5 mpg

+ i will be pulling off drums on downriver/up koyu leg so when i get to camp i can move them. if a guy can do it(buying fuel in town) you save alot of $. considering that by this fall a guy may be paying double almost on river.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Ruby normally has a hose going down to the river so boats can fuel right there. Gas price in Ruby should be much less than in Galena.
    Ruby didn't have a fuel line to the water last year, maybe in years past, but they are "much" cheaper than others. Do your homework... I saved a few hundred bucks by doing so. Wish I was going again, but maybe next year.
    Tony

Tony, that was ruby and Tanal both had to either haul your drums up and down or you could rent the truck. Galena is the only one that had a hose to the water and i have not heard but Jake the Russan said they may not be there this year. I have not heard either way on that yet.

Hunt: i misunderstood i thought you were running a OB JET instead of a prop. In that case the prop would work out much better for you getting there and back. You might want to talk with Tony on fuel running a jet on that trip when it comes to fuel usage. I burned up 550 round trip with my boat last year going to the same location.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Ya. I will only be using jet if need be up sloughs...or way up koyu

No body has permit with no boat...?

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    Tony, that was ruby and Tanal both had to either haul your drums up and down or you could rent the truck. Galena is the only one that had a hose to the water and i have not heard but Jake the Russan said they may not be there this year. I have not heard either way on that yet.
    Every time I've been through Tanana they've had fuel down to the water. Something could have changed since I was there last, but that has been my experience.

Tanana and Galena both have hoses to the river. Ruby did until about three years ago.

Tanana is cheaper than Galena, Ruby is cheaper than either. But at Ruby you need to get the guy and his truck to help you get to the gas and back to your boat. Just have to compare the money saved to the time wasted getting the gas. Me, I would rather pay more at Galena and save the time.

Next time we go we are going to leave the barrels empty and just carry what we need to get to Tanana, then buy enough to get to Galena then refuel. You will eat up a lot of gas running with full barrels from the bridge to Galena unless you do like Rambling Raven and his crew. They tie together and use the kickers to power them to Galena. Very good idea if you have the time to do it and way more relaxing trip.

Tanana was out of fuel when we were going down for the late season last year so the other guy there you had to pony your jugs up the hill.

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Good luck The other problem is the 55gal drums are too hard to handle on your refills since Galena is the only fuel you can get at the shoreline.

there is two gas stations at tanana and one at ruby where u can get gas on the shore....
    They say its unsafe to own a gun, I say its unsafe to have only one!!!

I would leave the 55 gal. drums at home if I were you, it's way too hard to manhandle those pigs. I have a half dozen 30 gal drums and a couple 15's, if you would like to borrow some.

I have only been in Tanana once and not been able to get fuel at Tanana Commercial and that was due to their nozzle being broke. I tried to find a spare in Dale's stuff to no avail. Dale and Cynthia do a great job of managing fuel, and I am more than willing to pay a bit more for their service. You can always call them before you leave, or by Satelite phone and make sure they have fuel.
    As for the 55 gallon drums, I use those to draw off of on the long runs so I don't have to keep switching tanks. Set up a couple of suction tubes w/ hose fittings and you can just switch your fuel line tank to tank. I have a 3rd line plumbed in so I never disconnect the fittings off of my 2 main tanks, both of which hold 58 gallons.
    There are pros and cons to each of the container sizes, 15 gallons being too small to make long runs, and require more handling, 30 gallons being a happy medium, but definately a 2 man operation to move, and 55 gallons being great for the long runs, but almost a 3 man deal to get out of the boat safely and up a steep bank. The steel drums are nice as bears don't typically punch holes n them when they use them for chew toys.
    ARR

Wanted to add my 2 cents regarding using 50 gal drums for fuel. While I would agree that moving them would be interesting (to say the least), but for this trip, I felt they were just great. I have several 50's, 30's, and 15's and could have used any combo of them for our trip we decided on 4 = 50's, and 2 ea on the 30's and 15's (for flexibility only).

When conducting my water tests we found that being able to move the drums around for weight distribution worked out much better for us having the weight contained as we moved things around and while on our trip turned out to be true.

Once we got to our final destination we leveled ea drum to about 30 or so gal each so we could move them around, but realized real soon that laying the drums on there side worked out great - even rolling them uphill...

So on my next Koyukuk trip (or any long trip) I'll repeat exactly as mentioned. With only one exception, convert my jet to prop and drop to 3 50 gal drums because I won't need to carry as much fuel.
    Tony

Thats what i planned on doin, pullin off my drums on way down so when i get to camp i can manuever them

No hits on the trip!!!!???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast