Thread: 300 hp Phantom Load Test

Default 300 hp Phantom Load Test

I thought I'd share the impromptu load test results on the 300 hp diesel phantom we did on Saturday. 22' with 84" bottom. The barrels were there, the boat was there, and we went for it.

Load consisted of 345 gallons of water totalling 2873 pounds, plus 7 barrels for about 35 pounds, plus 2 adults and one teen for another 585 pounds, plus 60 gallons of fuel for another 429 pounds; a grand load total of 3922 pounds.

At 3500 rpm we were doing 32 mph and burning 11 gallons per hour.
    At 4000 rpm we were doing 38 mph and burning 16 gallons per hour.

We four runs to confirm the flow meter and GPS data. Although we didn't time the starts, it got up on step fairly quickly.

I wanted to check the handling with the large load and gave Mel and a barrel a little jolt on a sharp slalom run.

The boat's main purpose is for hunting and fishing and I'm glad to know that it should handle the job well. We haven't named it yet, but "little mule" is a front runner. The son is already trying to calculate how many moose, bear and caribou we can haul in a single hunting trip.

Quote Originally Posted by EasyMoney View Post
    I thought I'd share the impromptu load test results on the 300 hp diesel phantom we did on Saturday. 22' with 84" bottom. The barrels were there, the boat was there, and we went for it.

Load consisted of 345 gallons of water totalling 2873 pounds, plus 7 barrels for about 35 pounds, plus 2 adults and one teen for another 585 pounds, plus 60 gallons of fuel for another 429 pounds; a grand load total of 3922 pounds.

At 3500 rpm we were doing 32 mph and burning 11 gallons per hour.
    At 4000 rpm we were doing 38 mph and burning 16 gallons per hour.

We four runs to confirm the flow meter and GPS data. Although we didn't time the starts, it got up on step fairly quickly.

I wanted to check the handling with the large load and gave Mel and a barrel a little jolt on a sharp slalom run.

The boat's main purpose is for hunting and fishing and I'm glad to know that it should handle the job well. We haven't named it yet, but "little mule" is a front runner. The son is already trying to calculate how many moose, bear and caribou we can haul in a single hunting trip.
    pretty impressive...diesel may be hard to come by on long river runs(yukon etc)

how much free board did you have? im goin to be doin the same with my 20' alweld 70'' bottom 140 suzuki. gonna put 3 grand in her and see what she does

That 84" tub is a whole lot of planing surface.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    pretty impressive...diesel may be hard to come by on long river runs(yukon etc)
    Diesel is easy to come by but you may have to haul it down to the river with barrels. I purchased fuel in Tananna last year for $1 cheaper then the gas at the pump along the river and they gave me a truck to haul it down with. The fuel was nearly the same price as what they were charging in Cantwell for diesel. I purchased 105 gallons total in Tananna for the 720mile round trip hunt up to the little mud. 45 on the way down from Nenanna and 60 for my return trip back up the tananna. I started with 145gallons on board and went home with 30 gallons left over.

The best thing to do is to call ahead and talk to the fuel suppliers at your planned fuel stops to get a name and the skinny.