Thread: Small river boat question

Default Small river boat question

I've seen a small boat in the Fairbanks area that peeks my interest. From the size of it, 10-14 ft, it looks like it has a jet ski motor in it. It is definately an inboard set-up. Anyone know what I saw? Any info on who makes them, boat size, motor set-up? Thanks for the help.

Robert

Quote Originally Posted by rcook View Post
    I've seen a small boat in the Fairbanks area that peeks my interest. From the size of it, 10-14 ft, it looks like it has a jet ski motor in it. It is definately an inboard set-up. Anyone know what I saw? Any info on who makes them, boat size, motor set-up? Thanks for the help.

Robert
    Was it a mokai?

http://www.mokai.com/

Nope. Definately aluminum. Looked like a scaled down Hewes.

If I remember correctly it is an old Weldcraft, Compeaus sold them in the early 90's or late 80's. Think they were right around 14 foot with a center console. There is one that a guy is running on the Chena and he has posted some videos of it as well.

http://backcountryrebels.com/showthread.php?t=22716

That's the one. Thanks for the help.

Attachment 61001Attachment 61002What I think I know. These are weldcraft 12 footers. I know Compeau sold them in late 80s as my buddy bought one new around 86. They orjiginally came with a 40hp and a Berkley 6ja jet. They were grossly underpowered and my buddy returned it directly. Many have tried upgrading motor only but the jet has to be bigger also. Craig Compeau stuck a 175 sportjet in one if I am not mistaken. Craig at Northern Power has one he lengthened to 14' and stuck a 150? hp jet ski engine and jet in. It is done up with paint and canvas and is wicked cool. I think he said 60mph. I believe one or two of the mechanics out back also have one but I don't know the details. Mine has a Yamaha 701 with a Tigershark Jet unit. I had Karold put in a tunnel and a stomp grate. I really love mine. They are a very solid welded hulls. They are novel and fun but not even remotely practical. They are getting hard to find.

I got one..I'm .thinking about selling it...email me if your looking to buy one... Ak_extreme_duty@hotmail.com

one thing to think about in terms of jet ski/waverunner jet units is that they extremely powerful and efficient, but this efficiency comes with a price. they are also very fragile and won't handle sucking up gravel and sand like a normal jet unit. if you run them in any shallow creek, they are going to suck up gravel, so you have to make a custom intake for them, and this mesh that keeps out gravel also impedes the intake, so you are cutting your power in half.

I've done it, i used to run my waverunner 13 miles up a small creek to my cabin, it was insane. for jet units on small creeks, the best bet is to get a 14 foot jon with an inboard motor powering the smallest berkeley or hamilton jet available. outboard jets are nice until the day you smash into a big rock and destroy your OB and damage your stern.

one way around the severe power loss is to have multiple intakes with 1/16 stainless screen. there is a guy on youtube who made a custom built boat with TWO gigantic sea-doo jet ski engines/jet units on a 14 foot semi-V. it was ridiculous looking, and I can only imagine how fast the thing was. he never did a follow up video.