Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 300wsm and 264 win mag for Caribou hunt 2013

Default 300wsm and 264 win mag for Caribou hunt 2013

My father and I are headed to Kotzebue fall 2013. We will be bringing my 300wsm shooting one hundred and eighty Barnes tsx and the infamous 264wm shooting 140 sst's or partitions. Do you think these will be suffice? Any advise or input. Thanks

I've well and truly flattened several caribou with the .300WSM....the .264 is nothing to sneeze at either. Try the 180 Accubond in the WSM....great results in mine.

I'd say you're set if they shoot straight.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Nope won't work, caribou are one tough critter most people up here use a 375 H&H as a bare minimum with Woodleigh Solids.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Nope won't work, caribou are one tough critter most people up here use a 375 H&H as a bare minimum with Woodleigh Solids.
    Maybe you little guys. I prefer the .416 Rigby Nitro Safari Express with 480 gr Elephant Bonded hollow pointed FMJ

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Maybe you little guys. I prefer the .416 Rigby Nitro Safari Express with 480 gr Elephant Bonded hollow pointed FMJ

PS yeh it'll work albeit the 264 is on the lighter side of what I'd use.

Rob..LMAO

Yes that would be good enough...I hear of guys taking them with 243//270/6.5/ 7mm.

I agree the 243 might be a little light..but surely if the shot was put in the boiler room it would suffice.

Good luck

President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

HA! I'll show you all up and get one with the 22.

You better go talk to 323 he might let you borrow his if you ask real nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Rob..LMAO

Yes that would be good enough...I hear of guys taking them with 243//270/6.5/ 7mm.

I agree the 243 might be a little light..but surely if the shot was put in the boiler room it would suffice.

Good luck
    The 243 works great on bears and moose so I am sure it will do the job on caribou. 100gr Nosler Partitions do outstanding in that caliber.

Bigger guys can carry bigger guns, right?

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    HA! I'll show you all up and get one with the 22.
    It won't count unless you get them from the boat and put them on the stringer like giant fish.

Bigger guys can carry bigger guns, right?
    Good point. Either that or I am just a wimp.

It won't count unless you get them from the boat and put them on the stringer like giant fish.
    I just heard that story too.

I know a fellow who shot several bull caribou with a 17rem in the pre Barnes X bullet days so I think you will be okay. Every caribou I've ever seen taken has died pretty easy, and I've heard more than one person comment that they seem a little wimpy for their size. They are almost as large as elk but normally don't have the tendency to carry the lead like a bull elk will.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I know a fellow who shot several bull caribou with a 17rem in the pre Barnes X bullet days so I think you will be okay. Every caribou I've ever seen taken has died pretty easy, and I've heard more than one person comment that they seem a little wimpy for their size. They are almost as large as elk but normally don't have the tendency to carry the lead like a bull elk will.
    They may look like they are the same size as an elk but they have no mass to them which is what most people from outside fail to realize. A good sized caribou bull is only going to give you 75-150 lbs of meat but I am sure a bull elk is going to produce a good bit more than that.

They may look like they are the same size as an elk but they have no mass to them which is what most people from outside fail to realize. A good sized caribou bull is only going to give you 75-150 lbs of meat but I am sure a bull elk is going to produce a good bit more than that.
    Not to get too far off subject but elk, at least the rocky Mtn variety I grew up hunting, are not that large. On tv shows one will hear the guy babble on about this 1000lb elk he just shot, and that is pure crap, I would hazard to guess that bull elk killed in the Rocky Mtn states would average 500 to 600 pounds. Cows are smaller yet. I would guess a big bull caribou at around 350 on the hoof, or about the size of a spike bull elk. At any rate those are just my experiences, and have no bearing on this thread, other than to state that I know guys who have killed elk with those calibers, so caribou should be a cinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman from Vegas View Post
    My father and I are headed to Kotzebue fall 2013. We will be bringing my 300wsm shooting one hundred and eighty Barnes tsx and the infamous 264wm shooting 140 sst's or partitions. Do you think these will be suffice? Any advise or input. Thanks
    I use my 257 Wby w/ 120 Nosler Partitions. Never had one take more than 5 steps.
    "Shoot straight and keep your powder dry"

they're jsut like anything hit them in the right place they go down with little effort. .264 is plenty. seen them shot with a .223 @ 100yrds and went right down.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman from Vegas View Post
    I know an elder who's from the Kobuk and Ambler area. He was once hunter gatherer of the year too. Does all his hunting with a 243 and a 7 mm Rem mag. You'll do great. That 264 has some serious case capacity, load it with a heavy bullet like a 160 grainer. Woodleigh makes a nice 160 grain weldcore spitzer. It'd be a good match to that .264 Win Mag.

Wow I didn't know you all were expert elk hunters too this is the coolest hunting forums ever! TWB can't use my 416 rigby not until his nuts drop lol... Last caribou I shot I used a 375 ultra mag with 270gr tsx it seemed to work caribou died.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast