14 8.19%
  • I don't have one and wouldn't use one

66 38.60%
  • I don't have one but would use one

20 11.70%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: muzzle brakes?

Default muzzle brakes?

Another thread was asking about taping a break and it was turning more into a thread about knocking breaks. Thought that it would be interesting to run a pole about them.

Please share your thoughts on the pros and cons.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

I don't have one and won't change that any time soon. I've shot a number of brake equipped rifles and I don't like them.

They do reduce felt recoil a fair bit but the trade off is tremendously increased muzzle blast. I find the blast more disturbing than the recoil...even fairly stout recoil in the .338/.375 class. On a range setting the blast can be overcome by doubling up on plugs and muffs. In the hunting field not so much. I think recoil can be significantly overcome by good technique and not shooting the hard kickers so much from the bench and more from field positions.

I once had a fellow hunter fire a braked .300 WM about 7' to my immediate left...pretty sure I permanently lost some hearing there.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I like my break but hate how loud it is. You do not want to forget the ear plugs.

I cant shoot my 338 more than a couple of shots with my muzzle break closed.

About breaks my shoulder & i end up with black & blue streaks on my shoulder for a couple days after.

I am 6'4" 230lbs so I am not a little guy either.

It kicks more than my 375 .

RJ Simington

I wouldn't mind having it if hunting solo, but I wouldn't want to hunt with one while hunting with other people. The situation stated above by hodgeman is exactly why. If I have someone with me, we would usually be working as the backup for each other if necessary. I don't want them to need to stay behind me because of a muzzle break and then not be in a good position to be the backup. I hunt with a .338 and have never had a problem. I don't even feel it when taking a shot at an animal due to the adrenalin.

Had an integral brake drilled into my T3 .338. Made a huge difference for me. Yes it's louder, but I use adequate hearing protection at the range, and the one time I fired it in the field I don't recall being particularly bothered by the blast. Probably was paying more attention to the caribou though

I guess I'm in the "glass shouldered wuss" club. Dad's old wood stocked 300wm has taken dozens and dozens of animals over it's long life. Never gave it a thought to put on a MB. Then he got a paddle stock ruger in the same caliber and used the same ammo. I vowed never to touch that gun after seeing his shoulder blades clap together upon pulling the trigger the first time! I had Stan install a brake and ended up with the rifle shortly after. It is a pleasure to shoot. I make sure not to have anyone next to me or at least warn them of the brake and let them decide where they want to be located.

The bolt on my Rem 700 in 8mag used to actually cut my hand when I'd shoot it. Had a custom brake put on and it made a HUGE difference. Both in pleasure to shoot and the groups I got after the break was installed. I rarely go to the range, and I never really think about the noise when I shoot at an animal. As far as I'm concerned, when I'm standing next to any high powered rifle when it goes off, it rattles my cage regardless of break or not......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Using a brake for range shooting is a huge plus for me. When hunting I take it off and cap it.. Pretty simple. I can shoot longer on th range and not have to worry about taking my hunting partners ear drumbs out.

I don't have one on my .338 ruger. I used to use a muzzle brake when I was younger about 12-15 range, and it does reduce the kick of guns and help young people shoot. What I didn't like is how after shooting at an animal two or three times my ears would ring for the next couple hours. Since I've grown up, I decided I would rather go without the ringing ears. The .338 is definitely a kicker without a muzzle brake, but I don't shoot at animals at over 300. That is my range with a .338 without a muzzle brake. With a muzzle brake I would probably feel comfortable shooting a little further out.

everyone has a different threshold when it comes to recoil,I fortunately am not very recoil sensative but I am a big fan of muzzle breaks. I is just another tool to help those shoot better and not be so concerned with the recoil. I think they are great for the youth to be able to shoot and not get kicked around. Sure I guess we could all shoot lesser guns so I suppose we should be out there hunting elephants with a .243. I used to guide with a .378 wby and it kickd like a mule I have since traded up to a 416 wby with a brake and it shoots like a dream. I have had plenty of hunters with brakes and you just have to pay attention to shooting positions especially the rocks in sheep country.

I have a break on my .300 win and it kicks less than a .243 I keep a set of plugs around my neck for the noise, the main thing that is a pain is the blast ....if the muzzle is close to the snow and it's powder it will make you a sugar cookie and if it's dirt ...it really sucks, but if you pay attention and make others aware as well they are great ...after all accuracy is what it's all about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

My main open country rifle was a PSS in 300WM,a fairly heavy rifle with no brake,I practiced in the off season shooting rock chucks and other varmints and I shot it well with plenty of practice.

These days,I shoot a fairly light 338 EDGE,it has a brake,I also shoot it very well with a lot of practice.Without a brake,I would not be shooting it as much as I do.I'm from the school that there is no substitute for trigger time.If you shoot a large magnum w/ no brake,how much practice are you really getting ?

Not a fan of muzzle brakes,I'm sure they have there place.Have you ever laid up for a shot next to a guy that has one electrical taped?Not a good experience let me tell you,after picking shrapnel from your face your pissed about not thinking about putting your plugs in!!My #1 .300 ultra had a brake on it when I bought it and after getting my ear drums split more than I like, no matter how far you set up to shoot from one,I had mine cut off and re-crowned bye wild west.

Muzzle brakes are for machine guns and cannons!!Were is the choice I had one and took it off lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    I guess I'm in the "glass shouldered wuss" club. Dad's old wood stocked 300wm has taken dozens and dozens of animals over it's long life. Never gave it a thought to put on a MB. Then he got a paddle stock ruger in the same caliber and used the same ammo. I vowed never to touch that gun after seeing his shoulder blades clap together upon pulling the trigger the first time! I had Stan install a brake and ended up with the rifle shortly after. It is a pleasure to shoot. I make sure not to have anyone next to me or at least warn them of the brake and let them decide where they want to be located.
    I must have missed the memo you sent out when we were hunting together? Never noticed your break being louder than a standard 300 win mag.

Quote Originally Posted by roughneck6883 View Post
    I have a break on my .300 win and it kicks less than a .243 I keep a set of plugs around my neck for the noise, the main thing that is a pain is the blast ....if the muzzle is close to the snow and it's powder it will make you a sugar cookie and if it's dirt ...it really sucks, but if you pay attention and make others aware as well they are great ...after all accuracy is what it's all about

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
    If you think that .300 win mag turns you into a sugar cookie you should try out a Barrett 50 cal.

no need for one.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I'm less concerned with recoil when compared to concerns about what is recoiling. I can see a huge advantage for having muzzle breaks on the scoped magnums in addition to plenty of eye relief.

Plus, I'd rather mom feel comfortable shooting the 300 Win Mag with the muzzle brake, than her being flinchy; or relying on a 243, or 25-06 in brown bear country.

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I must have missed the memo you sent out when we were hunting together? Never noticed your break being louder than a standard 300 win mag.
    Figured I had slid down the mountain far enough by the time I got a rest that you were okay.

This brings up a question I've been thinking about today. Are some brakes louder than others? I don't get the temporary deafness with mine.

yes they are all different it seems, some are pretty calm, others its like a wire coat hanger jammed thru your ears, you'd swear they are bleeding...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast