Thread: Why the halibut blind side pictures ??

Default Why the halibut blind side pictures ??

Why are so many halibut photos....singles and multiple catches, photo'd and shown with the blind (white) side showing? They are such an attractive fish on top! Is it because most people throw them in a fish box, and they get all miscolored on top, or because that's what the lodges and charters have done for a long time? I'm betting on the miscolored fish....kill em, bleed em, get em in the boat for a picture, and legally fillet them (or whole if chicken) and put em on ice, I say! If they are ugly on top, they've been handled poorly

If you ask me the white photographs better......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Their top has been adjusted by mother nature over thousands of years to be a good camo pattern. I suspect with most point and shoot cameras and most amateur photographers the white side is simply easiest to photograph.

I've never really thought about it but I typically take a photo of each side in my yard, they both show up fine against the green background of may grass, but my grass is significanly more green than most yards in AK!

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    Why are so many halibut photos....singles and multiple catches, photo'd and shown with the blind (white) side showing? They are such an attractive fish on top! Is it because most people throw them in a fish box, and they get all miscolored on top, or because that's what the lodges and charters have done for a long time? I'm betting on the miscolored fish....kill em, bleed em, get em in the boat for a picture, and legally fillet them (or whole if chicken) and put em on ice, I say! If they are ugly on top, they've been handled poorly
    What do u mean legally fillet them?

It is NOT illegal to filet halibut on the boat, but its illegal to do anything other than keep the filets in whole pieces with some skin on them.

Here is the explanation from a NOAA FAQ on Halibut:

19. Can the halibut be processed onboard the vessel?
    Each halibut may be cut into no more than 2 ventral pieces, 2 dorsal pieces, and 2 cheek pieces, with skin on all pieces. The regulatory standard does not require that all skin be left on all pieces. Each piece needs only enough skin naturally attached to visually confirm that the piece was from a halibut and not some other species. In Area 2C, the filleted halibut carcass must be retained onboard the vessel until all fillets are offloaded.

You can also find basically the same thing here: http://www.alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/...regsummary.htm

There used to and probably still is a small contingent of fishermen (guides and sport) that filet there halibut on the water and keep fishing.. I saw one guy get busted in Deep Creek a long time ago with several huge Igloo coolers full to the top and two guys on board the boat. This regulation is to prevent that sort of thing.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sorry to dissapoint you about your assumption that it is because nobody but you knows how to handle fish. It is simply a contrast issue for photographing. White stands out a lot better with just about any background than a dark color. When people are taking pictures to show off, especially with multiple fish, they want something that will stand out to draw attention. A white slab stands out a lot more than a dark shape against a typically dark background.

Ditto on most of what people say about photographing them. I do it not because I don't know how to handle a camera and adjust the settings, but the white side just looks better (IMHO) than the "camo" side.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanks, JR2, that's exactly what I meant by legally filet them...and sorry Anchskier...that did come off kind of crappy. I see what several mean about the white side showing up better, makes sense in those dark background situations. Well, maybe this thread will get a few more folks showing that amazing mottled camo dark side of halibut!

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    It is simply a contrast issue for photographing.
    Contrast indeed. There's nothing like the beautiful mottled green of a well handled halibut to accentuate the fact that the guy standing next to it is, by contrast, a pudgy pink pasty skinned middle aged white guy. Whereas standing next to nine square feet of glaring featureless fish belly white, can, by contrast, make almost anybody look pretty good.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Whereas standing next to nine square feet of glaring featureless fish belly white, can, by contrast, make almost anybody look pretty good.
    If you look like your avatar........it ain't gonna work.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    If you look like your avatar........it ain't gonna work.
    Hey, at least I'm not just another wall hanger with my nose stuck up in the air!
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I do "topside" shots.

Ron, I meant to take some camo side pictures for ya yesterday, but I don't think I could have soaked up any more water from the rain and was ready to hit the tunnel. LOL
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    I do "topside" shots.
    Now there's a slab...!!!

L.G.
    It would appear from those photos that you most likley are catching those from shore!
    if so, nice catch!
    Thats something I cant imagine doing. Always pulled my hailbut out from under a boat. On shore would be a whole another game!
    Only in S.E Alaska

Negative. All caught from my boat. I wouldn't even consider pulling a 200#+ fish into the boat. Both were caught within 300 yds of shore.

Quote Originally Posted by robbentler View Post
    Ron, I meant to take some camo side pictures for ya yesterday, but I don't think I could have soaked up any more water from the rain and was ready to hit the tunnel. LOL
    We'll get some next week, Rob! LG...those are some fine fish and great photos, no contrast problem there! That big guy goes well with the shirt too