Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klutina Update

Default Klutina Update

As of 6/24 the water was very high on the Klutina. The highest I have ever seen it. The fishing was slow, but limits were caught if the time was put in. The temperature was in the 80"s making it a scortcher in the afternoon. The best time to fish was early in the morning and late in the evening.

good luck fishing.

Yes very slow but if you know the holes and how to fish them you are set. It took me two days to find out how to catch some fish out of there but when I did it was an easy limit.

Never fished the Klutina before ...will be at the Klutina Campground tomorrow and Wed., and recognizable spots, tips, suggestions you can share on how 3 of us can get our fish...Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Reel Bob View Post
    Never fished the Klutina before ...will be at the Klutina Campground tomorrow and Wed., and recognizable spots, tips, suggestions you can share on how 3 of us can get our fish...Thanx
    I cant provide a map with an X (start here) and an X (Fish Here) here are some suggestions:

1) look for rocks stacked in a circle along the bank, used for holding fish on a stringer, or signs of a blood from sockeyes being pounded out.

2) Look for edges against the bank causing slack water and fish the seam of the current.

3) Asked camp ground or other fisherman, most people are willing to help out.

4) Watch others limit out, and when their done, move in and fish the hole.

There are more than a dozens locations on both sides of the river below the bridge to fish and you can catch them right at the camp ground holes. You will need to adjust your leader to line the fish based on the current speed and depth. Be prepared to put in some time and bring extra weight and tackle. Good Luck Bob!
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

On Klutina now... There is no bank. Campground across from Groves is closed due to flooding. There is very few places now to fish and it is very slow .....

Default Campground Evacuation?

Wow, yea seems the high water has shut down Klutina Salmon Charters campground. I was told they had to evacuate? My buddy was planning on staying there this week, and was told not going to be open for about 5 more days. Guess a lot of debris is in the camping area that needs to be taken care of. I hear fish are still being caught.

3 people 10 hours= 6 Reds... Talked with some guys that have been there since Sunday... Progressively worse since arrival, heck the water level rose 4-6 inches in the 24 hrs we were there

Don't know much about Klutina sox, but I'd wager an EO for kings is just around the corner.

Gulkana has already had the axe fall, and I see the dipnnetters are once again banned from king retention for the next Mon-Sun opener...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...a%20120626.pdf

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...S%20120626.pdf
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

water is as high as I have seen it, only been around 12 years but definitely high. Went up the road today and it is washing out at mile 21. Flooded in other spots. I did see a guy with a red walking across the bridge. I think he landed it somewhere between a couple of picnic tables in the campground!

Anyone have an update on the water conditions at Klutina? I fished Klutina for the first time on Father's Day. Had a great day fishing it. How long does the Red Run last?

Default High and muddy

I am here now. Water is very high and muddy. My son and I managed to get our limit of Reds with five hours of fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlcanRon View Post
    I am here now. Water is very high and muddy. My son and I managed to get our limit of Reds with five hours of fishing.
    Sweet! Put it to Work! Got Superglue?

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    Sweet! Put it to Work! Got Superglue?

Fish On!
    Things have cooled off and its raining today. His latest report on the 4th day of fishing, with 3 anglers, is a total count of 13 fish. Yes 13 total fish in 4 days. The high water forced him to cancel rafting gulkana and I imagine is happering their ability to hook up with the sockeye.

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Things have cooled off and its raining today. His latest report on the 4th day of fishing, with 3 anglers, is a total count of 13 fish. Yes 13 total fish in 4 days. The high water forced him to cancel rafting gulkana and I imagine is happering their ability to hook up with the sockeye.
    Wow! That sucks! Hope the water comes down a bunch before they leave.
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Ah man that is brutal.

There have been some huge counts through Miles Lake the past few days, so hopefully it does pick up.

The Gulkana is definitely high! We floated it last weekend and were averaging close to 6 mph without oaring! Water was easily a foot or two higher than last year and it was high then too. There was darn near nothing to hit! While we didn't catch anything, we did see a few caught. Saw some sockeye jumpers as well, though we could never figure how to catch them...

I think it's 10-14 days for reds to get into the klutina from miles lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had to change my plans. Am gonna head that way tomorrow. Fingers crossed on figuring out that super high water.

sikes

im loadin up the truck and gear and am headed to the klutina right now in hopes of snaggin a few reds, if anyone knows any closeby spots for grayling in that area also that information would be dope

I know it was probably just a figure of speech, but no snagging in the Klutina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast