Thread: good places on the Kenai Peninsula for salmon viewing

Default good places on the Kenai Peninsula for salmon viewing

I know this isn't a fishing question, but knew this would be as good a place to ask this as any. We have some relatives coming next week and would like to show them some salmon in the water. They have little kids, so I don't think they will want to hike to the Russian River falls. Are there some places closer to the road anywhere on the Kenai Peninsuala where we would have a good opportunity to see migrating salmon?
    Thanks,
    Tim

The Russian is obviously your best but, but you may be able to see some at the pull out on the Sterling highway where crooked creek goes under. I heard there aren't many fish there yet but that would be your best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    The Russian is obviously your best but, but you may be able to see some at the pull out on the Sterling highway where crooked creek goes under. I heard there aren't many fish there yet but that would be your best bet.
    Thanks, will have to check there when we head down to Homer. Is that where the weir is, or close to?

Default Best viewing in Portage Valley . . .

Salmon Viewing Opportunities

There are many excellent spots from which to watch spawning salmon on the Glacier Ranger District. In the Portage Valley salmon can be viewed in a number of the small fresh water streams that branch off of Portage and Placer Creeks. From mid July until well into the fall, fish can be seen spawning in these productive waters.
    Williwaw Salmon Viewing Platform: One of the best and most accessible places to view spawning salmon, this platform is situated several miles west of the Begich Boggs Visitor Center, just off of the Portage to Whittier road. Expect to see spawning sockeye and chum salmon here from mid/late July through September. A trail with numerous pullouts leads north from the platform and provides excellent salmon viewing opportunities and eventually connects with the Trail of Blue Ice.

Salmon are best viewed at Portage Valley, south of Anchorage on your way to the Kenai Peninsula . .

Walk the boardwalk at Potter's Marsh. Should be some where the marsh drains under the Seward Highway.
    Lots of other stuff to see there as well.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    The old hatchery has a fish trap that you should be able to see kings in on a NORMAL year, however as of Friday there were NO kings in it.

If you can afford it, it would be a neat trip to take the Russian River Ferry across and look at the fish in the Sanctuary area. Last time I was there there weren't a whole lot of them in there but as the run progresses there should be more and more of them in there. While fishing is closed in the sanctuary they tend to stick in the clearer water and you can see thousands of them at times on a good year. Polarized glasses are really helpfull for any fish viewing.

Default More about Portage . . .

At Portage:

And if you make it to Portage Valley, keep an eye out for a dipper or water ouzel along the streams. This small songbird actually flies and walks underwater.

Spent the summers of '61 and '62 in Portage . . lots of memories . . the dippers are a favorite . . neat little bird.

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    The old hatchery has a fish trap that you should be able to see kings in on a NORMAL year, however as of Friday there were NO kings in it.

If you can afford it, it would be a neat trip to take the Russian River Ferry across and look at the fish in the Sanctuary area. Last time I was there there weren't a whole lot of them in there but as the run progresses there should be more and more of them in there. While fishing is closed in the sanctuary they tend to stick in the clearer water and you can see thousands of them at times on a good year. Polarized glasses are really helpfull for any fish viewing.
    Yes, right at the old Crooked Creek hatchery there is a pull out off the highway going down where the old bridge used to be. If, and when, kings get there you can watch them all day long.

For "didger's" info, the pullout is straight across the highway from Cohoe Loop Rd. turn off, which is just past Tustumena (Big "T) Lodge.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Yes, right at the old Crooked Creek hatchery there is a pull out off the highway going down where the old bridge used to be. If, and when, kings get there you can watch them all day long.

For "didger's" info, the pullout is straight across the highway from Cohoe Loop Rd. turn off, which is just past Tustumena (Big "T) Lodge.
    Been down Cohoe Loop many times, so I know right where you are talking about. Thanks for the info. I think this is a good year to just watch the kings in the water if you get the chance and forget about trying to catch any. I'll be happy to see some heading to spawn. In fact, I will be totally rooting for each and every one.

May have to run up to Portage area too.

Starting tomorrow, I will be happy to see reds in my dipnet. Got to get some before the relatives come next week so we can have fresh salmon on the menu.

Thanks again everyone.

Oh sorry didger......I didn't even look to see that you are in Slowdotna...... I'm sure you know where the hatchery is then. But there still my not be any kings in there by the time your relatives get here. It's REALLY slow right now.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Oh sorry didger......I didn't even look to see that you are in Slowdotna...... I'm sure you know where the hatchery is then. But there still my not be any kings in there by the time your relatives get here. It's REALLY slow right now.....
    Actually, I didn't know that was where the hatchery was, but will be sure to check it out.