Thread: Fishing from a wheelchair in Soldotna

Default Fishing from a wheelchair in Soldotna

I have certainly enjoyed the posts here so I put to you learned fish mongers the following:

You know how we have so much to do in the summer we sometimes put things off until "later". Well one of those things was getting out of Fairbanks to trek down to the Kenai to do some fishing. While I was putting it off I got an invitation for an all expense paid trip to Afghanistan....just me and 328 of my closest friends. As luck (bad) would have it certain Afghans don't have a real sense of hospitality and they showed me by blowing my right lower leg off and shattering most of the bone structure everywhere else between my knees and pelvis. Consequently I now ride a wheelchair except for limited mobility with a prosthetic leg and half-arm crutches.

So before anybody says it...thank you for thanking me for my service. It's not about that...it's about fishing advice.

My wife is taking distance summer classes through the Kenai Peninsula Campus in Soldotna, but she needs to go down for a lab session on Friday the 29th and Saturday the 30th. While we are there I want to spend at least one day fishing on the Kenai. We most probably can't afford a guided trip for me so we are planning to camp in one of the handicap accessible sites at Cenntinial Park so I can roll to the river during the day. What bait should I use and should I use a salmon rod (standard open face) or my dad's old salt rig?

This IS going to be my one and only hurrah on the Kenai, so despite my limitations, I want to make the best of it. I'm not sure how many winters I've got left in me especially since our heating oil in Fairbanks is delivered by a masked bandit who usually carries a gun.

I would use the salmon rod and just buy a few flies and some split shot. Put the split shot a couple feet above the fly and just cast and let it drift. There are prolly a few reds swimming by. Thers also trout in that slow spot where it starts to pool up. Good luck.

The Kenai is closed to King Salmon fishing till the 1st, so reds, dollys, or trout would be your only choices, as above flies, as no bait is allowed at this time on the Kenai.

Quote Originally Posted by NanookOnARoll View Post
    So before anybody says it...thank you for thanking me for my service. It's not about that...it's about fishing advice.
    Well then can I say....thank you for your sacrifice...???!!! Sorry just had to buddy because it saddens me deeply that it happened to you.

And yes, as what was said, try for a few reds or trout swimming by.

Good Luck...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default Flies....on 20# test???

Thanks guys for the info.

Having flyfished before....uhh...what kind of flies do I put on the end of an open face reel with 20# test that float with split shot weights? Sorry, for the newb question.

I live in North Pole. I am a Vet and currently work at the Warrior Transition Unit at FWA. If you are interested in fishing around the Interior give me a call. 907-388-4532 -Dennis
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

a russian river fly... or any fly. just make sure its a big hook. not a trout fly

I swiped this article from this website: http://www.ezlimit.com/articles/RiverOpportunity.shtml

“How to fish for Kenai River sockeye” is a much easier subject. Perhaps this is another large factor that contributes to their immense popularity: anyone can do it, and the tackle and gear needed is simple and inexpensive. A medium action casting, spinning or 8 weight fly rod (the locals favorite!) filled with 20 lb. test (these 5-12 lb. fish are powerful!) will do the trick. Terminal tackle consists of a cheap bucktail Coho fly and a 3/8-1 oz. sinker placed on the mainline 3-5 feet above the fly. Strip off a manageable amount of working line, say 10-15 feet, flip it up-stream and methodically drift it down as it swings, making sure that periodic contact with the bottom is occurring. Aggressive and repeated snagging is not necessary, nor legal: only set the hook when your offering pauses or pumps. Then hang on! Appropriately called lining, or “flossing” by the locals, an angler is simply attempting to pass their line thru the mouth of an up-river bound fish. If you are going to get hung-up on the ethics of targetting fish that normally don’t strike, then lining Kenai River sockeye probably isn’t for you. But if you want to hook incredibly strong and delectable salmon, and just have FUN…then this fishery fits the bill!
    Find fast water where sockeye swim close to the bank and begin methodically covering this travel lane until reds pass through. Kenai River sockeye enter and travel in pulses, and thus sockeye fishing action often goes from “dead” to “hot” in a blink of an eye!

You can get the "Coho Files" just about anywhere in Kenai-Soldonata. Trustworthy is my favoriate, but Fred Meyer sells them as does the little shop just before the bridge on the right.

Good luck and thanks again for your service and sacrifice.

John
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

last summer saw a guy in a wheelchair catch a fish from the dock by the sterling bridge