Thread: crossbow

Default crossbow

I know you can use a crossbow in a area that is not a restricted bow only area. I really like bow hunting because it is harder to get close to something and shoot it. I have had two shoulder surgeries and it is getting really hard to pull my bow back. In Wisconsin if you have a medical problem they give you a "permit" to use a crossbow on the archery only hunts but dos Alaska do the same and if not why not?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Yep, just stop by adfg and get a form that allows modification of the "methods and means" conditions due to disability, you'll have to get doc to sign off on it .. i just got mine last week its not to big a deal'with them

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

In Alaska a crossbow is regulated like a rifle, i.e. any rifle hunt area you can also use a crossbow. There is a medical exception as previously mentioned...my hunting partner is a disabled Veteran and he has taken his crossbow on the haul road legally. Other archery folks have been very accepting too. I am glad he has the opportunity to hunt in any form.
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

Thanks Vince and Roger45!! If someone likes to archery hunt but has a problem medically that makes it hard to pull a bow back I don't see why people would give someone crap about using a crossbow.. I have never used one so I don't know much about them. I would guess that it dos not give you much of an advantage over a guy with a bow. I just love trying to get close to something to harvest it!! last year I didn't use my bow much at all, just my gun. I can pull back 50 lbs about 6 times and I feel like my arm is going to rip off!! It sucks!!

Quote Originally Posted by cmp189ap View Post
    Thanks Vince and Roger45!! If someone likes to archery hunt but has a problem medically that makes it hard to pull a bow back I don't see why people would give someone crap about using a crossbow.. I have never used one so I don't know much about them. I would guess that it dos not give you much of an advantage over a guy with a bow. I just love trying to get close to something to harvest it!! last year I didn't use my bow much at all, just my gun. I can pull back 50 lbs about 6 times and I feel like my arm is going to rip off!! It sucks!!
    cmp: I recently started shooting a crossbow and I am hooked. It is a lot closer to shooting a bow, than some would let on. distance, bolt verses arrow performance and such. I don't see it being a big advantage over a compound in a traditional sense but for a guy that can not pull a bow, that still wants the challenge of bow hunting I think it is a great alternative. I shot a black bear with mine and it shot clear through the bear and buried the bolt up to the fletching in the ground. The bear went less than 10 yards and piled up. I am going to try and take my Moose with it this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by cmp189ap View Post
    Although the bow/arrow performance is similar to a standard bow and the stalking side of things is similar, one big aspect of bow hunting is different when you use a crossbow versus a standard bow. The crossbow holds the string a "full draw" for the hunter. When bow hunting, the action of drawing the bow when in close range of the animal without spooking them and then holding the draw as necessary to get the proper shot is a big part of the challenge.

I am not against allowing the use of crossbows as they are allowed now, just pointing out that there is a significant difference between them and standard bows.