Thread: Gen III Level 7 Primaloft Pants

Default Gen III Level 7 Primaloft Pants

Has anyone tried these for hunting? They sound like a wonderful product and are much cheaper than commercial types.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

They are not water proof... Once you are in level 7 its meant to be used in a static position ie -40 Not moving around because you will sweat your ass off.

Yep I have tried them out while hunting but it was -40 and I was on a snowmachine. Still got a little warm once we stopped and I moved around a little bit.

If you want something that will keep you warm while sitting on the glassing knob they would be great for that.

Yep, what 323 and Bronco said: static use only.
    I like mine for when I groom ski track with a snow machine. Ice fishing too. Figgering I only paid 30 bucks for them (ebay) I'm very pleased.

I wore the bottoms under my bib shells and the top as my primary jacket on all of my snowmachine rides this year. They worked fantastic for what I used them for and the price.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Sitting and riding seems to be enough to justify a set. I'm glad to hear they are windproof enough to wear it as an outer garment on the snowmachine.

Thanks Guys!!!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

You guys talked me into it....got a set off Ebay for $160 shipped...that's a bit cheaper than my Kelvin pants alone.

I bought a pair of the Gen III Level 7 Primaloft pants off Ebay this winter. I've been meaning to put up some pictures and a review of them as an alternative to the fancier mountain hardwear Compressor pants, etc.

Firstly, the pants are in an entirely different category than other "puffy" pants- they have a softshell-like material rather than the slick super-lightweight nylon stuff on other puffy jackets and pants. They're also much puffier than other pants I've tried such as the Compressor PLs and the Eddie Bauer pants (not sure how many grams in them though). They're more windproof and warmer as a bonus, but definitely heavier and they don't pack down as well.

Secondly, they are totally overbuilt- there are giant zippers all over the place (including an 11" zipper in the front!), and 2" wide(!) adjustable velcro straps around the waist and at the ankles. If I knew how to sew, I would remove all the zippers and cut the velcro in half and sew together what's left- I would guess that would cut an entire pound from them.

Still, I quite like them as they were 50$ cheaper than the "namebrand" pants, and they work great for doubling as snow pants. Ultralighters would turn their nose up at them but broke, skinny, cold guys like me enjoy them.