Thread: slow May-June.........so far

Charterboat Operator kodiakcombo's Avatar

Default slow May-June.........so far

most of us fisherman are all optimists! When faced with slow fishing we always look forward to the "next tide" or something like that, but always with some optimism for the next time. I dont remember ever going out and NOT catching a king on several charters, I mean a bad week yes, several bad weeks? I remember one week where 2 guys landed one king each, pretty bad. Then this year several groups landing only a king a day for the whole boat! Now that is bad and that is how it is, pretty slow trolling for kings, we have plenty of halibut and cod and rockfish, but the kings are not biting. I been using my aquavu camera and can see them and they just dont come and eat the baits! Yesterday I tried every type of gear on the boat and finally hooked 2 kings, one ate a grand slam bucktail at 24ft and another ate a fresh plugged herring at 13ft. Monday we will be back out for the family fishing(next charter is on July 2nd) They should be biting then!
    Providing trips for multilpe species for over 20 yrs
    www.kodiakcombos.com

For sure a strange bite this year, my friends in Southeast are knocking them dead, lots of Kings, limits easy each trip, Some fishing in Cross sound, some in Fredricks Sound. Even getting a few White Kings.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakcombo View Post
    most of us fisherman are all optimists! When faced with slow fishing we always look forward to the "next tide" or something like that, but always with some optimism for the next time. I dont remember ever going out and NOT catching a king on several charters, I mean a bad week yes, several bad weeks? I remember one week where 2 guys landed one king each, pretty bad. Then this year several groups landing only a king a day for the whole boat! Now that is bad and that is how it is, pretty slow trolling for kings, we have plenty of halibut and cod and rockfish, but the kings are not biting. I been using my aquavu camera and can see them and they just dont come and eat the baits! Yesterday I tried every type of gear on the boat and finally hooked 2 kings, one ate a grand slam bucktail at 24ft and another ate a fresh plugged herring at 13ft. Monday we will be back out for the family fishing(next charter is on July 2nd) They should be biting then!
    How many do you catch per day normally?

we normally land 4-8 a day but this year ones, 2s, pretty slow.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

we normally land 4-8 a day but this year ones, 2s, pretty slow.
    There are quite a few guys who wish they were having your luck these days what with all the closures and such. Any day on the water is a good day.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    There are quite a few guys who wish they were having your luck these days what with all the closures and such. Any day on the water is a good day.
    Amen to that.
    www.kodiakcombos.com

Maybe the fishing will be picking up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    .....Any day on the water is a good day.
    Believe me...the last time I was out on Tustumena I wasn't thinking that......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I been using my aquavu camera and can see them and they just dont come and eat the baits!
    I have an underwater camera system, too, and I found that I actually had to quit using it for kings. I was getting a ton of "lookers" that I could see follow my bait or lure, and then swim away. Or make quick lunges at the bait, but as if they were getting spooked. I decided to try fishing for them without my camera down there and miraculously my king catch rate skyrocketed after that. I can only attribute it to the fact that they were getting spooked by my camera system. Mine has a bright yellow video cable attached to it, so maybe that's the problem, but I just don't use it anymore when I'm fishing for kings. Silvers!?!? Now that's another matter all together. I've had silvers actually swim right up to the camera and look into it. Check this guy out: http://muttleycrewfishing.com/web_me...the_camera.wmv
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

What kind of camera system is that ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I have an underwater camera system, too, and I found that I actually had to quit using it for kings. I was getting a ton of "lookers" that I could see follow my bait or lure, and then swim away. Or make quick lunges at the bait, but as if they were getting spooked. I decided to try fishing for them without my camera down there and miraculously my king catch rate skyrocketed after that. I can only attribute it to the fact that they were getting spooked by my camera system. Mine has a bright yellow video cable attached to it, so maybe that's the problem, but I just don't use it anymore when I'm fishing for kings. Silvers!?!? Now that's another matter all together. I've had silvers actually swim right up to the camera and look into it. Check this guy out: http://muttleycrewfishing.com/web_me...the_camera.wmv
    How cool is that...???!!! And then he even hit your lure...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Default this one wasnt camera shy

We rigged up and couldn't resist the beautiful weather, plus the wife loves fresh king for dinner. We spotted on camera and it didnt show any interest, this one came in fast and missed the rig next to camera, thats when I ran out to grab the rod and nothing! then as I had my back turn my daughter yelled,"there it is!" I thought she was kidding so I didnt look, but heard the drag screaming!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.kodiakcombos.com