Thread: Lengthening my hull?

Default Lengthening my hull?

Alright I have a case of 4' itis. I have a custom commercial built Almar 23'x9'6" plus a 2' motor bracket that has no flotation. It was originally built as a tender for a fish farm. It has a open bow and stern with a short midcab. I really like the boat but it doesn't like to plane down slower then 18-20kts.

I have talked to a local aluminum boat builder about boxing in the bracket to add flotation. He said that it would help with economy and would help slow me down while maintaining plane. Another option he we takes about is lengthening the hull 4'. I would love some extra room in the stern and have been contemplating coverting it into either a hand troller or power troller where the extra length would be beneficial.

I have just repowered with a new Suzuki df225. It tops out at 39kts. And cruises 25kts at 4250 rpm's. How much is a few more feet going to effect those numbers. How much can I add before my motor will be under powered?

He wait that if I delivered it clean to him and rerigged the motor after. That I would be into it a max of 10k but probably around 5-6k. I am not sure why the huge difference in price but thats what he said. Also I would need to decide wether to go with a bracket again or have a splash well added.

What do you think would be best? I have a hard time believing that I would be able to sell this one and find a larger one for the 10k difference and even harder if the cost was closer to 5k, but what would the resale or value of the boat be after?

Thanks

I have a friend that has an Almar, when he got it it had a diesel inboard pump, it did not work well in Southeast with all the seaweed, so he took out the inboard, added 4 feet to the hull, has twin 115 Yamies, splash well mounted, he loves it has had it for about 15 years. I have been out with him a lot, the only thing about adding 4 feet is the boat should also get wider, which is not possible to do. The old Marine engineering rule of thumb is the width should be 1/3 the length for best stability.

Thanks. Since the beam is already 9.5', so if I take that times three should put the ideal length to 27.5' correct? At that length how would my 225hp outboard do?

I think you could go as far as 28' 6", what is the weight of your boat now, my big boat (34') 10 foot bottom, and 12 foot beam, weighs 17,500 lbs, and I have two 250hp outboards, it goes 42.5 mph, but it will not get up on step with just one. Proper props are very important when you change the length of your boat.

I am not sure on the weight. I am trying to attach a picture so you all can see what I'm working with.

Quote Originally Posted by gerberman View Post
    I think you could go as far as 28' 6", what is the weight of your boat now, my big boat (34') 10 foot bottom, and 12 foot beam, weighs 17,500 lbs, and I have two 250hp outboards, it goes 42.5 mph, but it will not get up on step with just one. Proper props are very important when you change the length of your boat.
    Haha, I just realized I cannot do math. 9.5 x 3