Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Sportfishermen/women!

Default Thank you Sportfishermen/women!

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/sf/FishCo...n.kenaiChinook

The above link is the latest summary for the Kenai King salmon. There in-river users are not only taking restrictive actions for the ER kings but also for the Late Run Kings as well. In river anglers will not see bait at all this season unless things change by emergency order. Taking the bait out of the fishery reduces the inriver take of king salmon by about 50%, and it is more than that given that the majority of the river below Skilak (skilak to Slikok) will be totally closed to king salmon fishing until July 15th.

It is the sportfishermen that is taking all the conservation measures for Kenai Kings with the current EO's. I thank you all for taking the conservation burden.

Yukon

Exclamation Thank you ADF&G . . . !

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    . . in-river users are . . taking restrictive actions for the ER kings but also for the Late Run Kings as . . It is the sportfishermen that is taking all the conservation measures for Kenai Kings . . I thank you all for taking the conservation burden. . .
    Shouldn't you be thanking Alaska Department of Fish and Game?

Isn't it ADF&G that is mandating these conservation measures?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I am thanking those that are taking the impact of the conservation measures. Thanks for your concern though.

They should be closing it down all year for fishing Kings in the Kenai and NO C&R. I think the numbers would support that.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    They should be closing it down all year for fishing Kings in the Kenai and NO C&R. I think the numbers would support that.
    If f&g closes it to kings then they would have to shut down the east side set nets, and that would be a disservice to the americans that depend on buying salmon for food. It is much better to severely restrict the sportfishery so minimal kings are caught in the river so the commercial guys can fish without restriction.

It is much better to severely restrict the sportfishery so minimal kings are caught in the river so the commercial guys can fish without restriction.

Thats 100% Bias BS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chico99645 View Post
    Thats 100% Bias BS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bias, perhaps. Instead, count the EOs that affect sport fishing and subsistence and commercial and see where the lines are drawn.

I'm not against closures but they should go cross the board to a degree.

If f&g closes it to kings then they would have to shut down the east side set nets, and that would be a disservice to the americans that depend on buying salmon for food. It is much better to severely restrict the sportfishery so minimal kings are caught in the river so the commercial guys can fish without restriction.
    You forgot to turn the sarcasm sign on. I nearly spewed coffee all over my phone. LOL

Red face Making a "funny" . . .

Thats 100 percent Bias BS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No . . . it's just "guide humor" . . .

Red face Making a "funny" . . .

Thats 100 percent Bias BS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    No . . . it's just "guide humor" . . .

......and that would be a disservice to the americans that depend on buying salmon for food......
    Well the Americans will will have to go without for awhile if they want to have ANY in the future....!!!....imo
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

The markets in the US have many other sources of salmon, Washington gets gillnetted to death between the commercial and tribal gill netters, same with Columbia River. Most of the grocery stores and especially Costco sell farm raised salmon year round, not that it's as good, but it's salmon in the market.

Ship them more chums !

East side setnets closed for the first opener. Sportfish will not be the only ones restricted this year. Everyone knows you can't only restrict one group because that opens the state up for lawsuits. Thank you setnetters for taking your part in king conservation.

Please no one get offended from my setnet support. I get on these forums mainly for entertainment and since the majority of people on here aren't commercial fishermen, I just feel I should give perspective from a setnet viewpoint. I don't hate sportfishermen, I in fact sportfish for reds, kings, and halibut every year, just trying to show commercial fishermen aren't evil and some care about resources just as much as people who fish with pole or dipnet. I'm starting to look into new jobs because I fear within another couple years all sectors of Fishing could be shutdown.

Thanks for the update 33outdoors. I do thank the ESSN'ers as well for sharing in the conservation burden. As you said we are all looking at restrictions this year and from all indications, years to come. I know ESSN operators want to see big king returns as much as sportfishermen do. I thank you for your perspective and input.

Yukon

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    East side setnets closed for the first opener. Sportfish will not be the only ones restricted this year. Everyone knows you can't only restrict one group because that opens the state up for lawsuits. Thank you setnetters for taking your part in king conservation.

Please no one get offended from my setnet support. I get on these forums mainly for entertainment and since the majority of people on here aren't commercial fishermen, I just feel I should give perspective from a setnet viewpoint. I don't hate sportfishermen, I in fact sportfish for reds, kings, and halibut every year, just trying to show commercial fishermen aren't evil and some care about resources just as much as people who fish with pole or dipnet. I'm starting to look into new jobs because I fear within another couple years all sectors of Fishing could be shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post

I agree with Marcus. We should be thanking fish and game. If they had not restricted or closed fisheries, anglers would be out on the river fishing for kings and commercial fishermen would be out on the beach on Monday fishing for sockeye and harvesting some kings. Thank you F&G for ignoring the alleged political influence and doing your job by reducing harvest in a year of low runs.

Quote Originally Posted by commfish View Post
    Thank you F&G for ignoring the alleged political influence and doing your job by reducing harvest in a year of low runs.
    A year of low returns...???!!! Yes I thanks the F&G for taking drastic measures, but this should have been done a number of years ago.....imo.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    A year of low returns...???!!! Yes I thanks the F&G for taking drastic measures, but this should have been done a number of years ago.....imo.
    Why should it have been done a number of years ago? The escapements that produced these poor returns generally were met throughout Cook Inlet. Why should they have been restricted when escapement was being met? Restrictions were made last year throughout Cook Inlet and in various streams in 2010, although not on the Kenai late run.

Quote Originally Posted by 33outdoorsman View Post
    East side setnets closed for the first opener.
    Here's the official EO....

UPPER COOK INLET COMMERCIAL FISHING ANNOUNCEMENT No. 3
    EMERGENCY ORDER NUMBER 2S-03-12
    Upper Cook Inlet Commercial Fishing Announcement No. 3 closes set gillnetting in the Kasilof Section of the Upper Subdistrict of Upper Cook Inlet on Monday, June 25, 2012 from 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.
    The Upper Subdistrict set gillnet fishery (east side setnet fishery) is managed from the beginning of the season through July 7 primarily under the guidelines of 5AAC 21.365
    Kasilof River Salmon Management Plan. The objective of this plan is to govern the harvest of Kasilof River salmon excess to spawning escapement needs. The Alaska Board of Fisheries (board) has stated that it is their intent that salmon be harvested in the fisheries that have historically harvested them, including the methods, means, times and locations of these fisheries. The primary harvester of Kasilof River sockeye salmon is the Kasilof Section set gillnet fishery. The board established the season opening date for this fishery as the first regular period (Monday or Thursday) on or after June 25.
    However, based on the poor performance of Kenai River early-run king salmon stocks, as well as king salmon stocks in Cook Inlet and other areas of the state, it is likely that the Kenai River late-run king salmon stock will also experience poor performance and require conservative management. Therefore, the department intends to manage the Kasilof Section set gillnet fishery with two primary objectives. First, the department is charged with meeting an optimum escapement goal (OEG) in the Kasilof River, enumerated with sonar, of 160,000-390,000 sockeye salmon. The set gillnet fishery will be fished with this escapement objective as the primary management target. In addition, the fishery will also be managed to conserve late-run king salmon stocks, especially if inseason assessment reveals these stocks are performing poorly. Commercial fishing openings will be predicated upon sockeye salmon escapement levels and inseason assessment of late-run king salmon stocks. This is a significant change in the management of the Upper Subdistrict set gillnet fishery, but the departmentís priority is to ensure adequate escapement and conserve salmon stocks when necessary.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    The late run of kenai kings has been doing fairly well up until 2009 and 2010, it started to struggle to make escapements. You could say maybe a little more should have been done in 2010, but restrictions were made in 2011. No bait on the kenai, and setnetters were restricted for a couple periods, and should have been in August. That was a mistake I thought fish and game made was opening up that 56 hour period in August, it got closed early though.

If king runs are struggling in the ocean, which seems to be the case then we can not fish the runs and enhance, and other things, but they still aren't going to build up king runs until ocean conditions change. It's best to monitor the runs closely like they are, and if measures need to be taken then do them. Hopefully we will not reach the point where complete closures from the start are mandated, but it looks like we are headed that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast