Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: muzzle breaks and rain

Default muzzle breaks and rain

This is probably a stupid question. How do you all protect your barrel from rain getting down it if you have a muzzle break? I know most people use electrical type across the muzzle crown, but how does that work if you have a muzzle break? So what are the tricks of the trade you all have used? I've seen some "socks" for this in the past and was wondering if anybody had any luck with this concept.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by jab7275 View Post
    This is probably a stupid question. How do you all protect your barrel from rain getting down it if you have a muzzle break? I know most people use electrical type across the muzzle crown, but how does that work if you have a muzzle break? So what are the tricks of the trade you all have used? I've seen some "socks" for this in the past and was wondering if anybody had any luck with this concept.

Thanks in advance
    Electrical tape over the muzzle keeps elements including dirt out of barrel and I always have spare tape wrapped around the barrel

I tried these balloon type "socks" before that I found. But they broke pretty easy if you happened to rub your barrel in the brush or something. Black electrical tape seems to be one of the best choices. Most my friends use it.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

When you're hunting, why not simply remove the brake?
    I can see their usefulness for shooting targets, but in the excitement of hunting, recoil is seldem felt or noticed.
    Do your hinting partner a huge favor & remove the dam thing.

Just buy 12" balloons from the store. I use black and it covers the end of my muzzle brake just fine. Also use them on my 375 that has an iron sight on the end as well. It seems to hold up for the day and I always carry an extra in my pack just in case. Not a big fan of the electrical tape.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Just buy 12" balloons from the store.
    If you're looking for something tougher than a kid's balloon, try a (unlubricated) condom and unroll it along the length of the brake; that'll cover everything up.

My solution is to not own a rifle with a muzzle break .

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    My solution is to not own a rifle with a muzzle break .
    Hear! Hear!
    You've hit the nail on the head.
    I was able to avoid (earlier) a comparasion between muzzle brakes and weak shoulders.
    Do yourself (and whoever hunts along side you) a favor and s%@# can the brake. learn to shoot your big boomer or get a rifle that you're comfortable with.

Gary I couldn't agree more. Terrible trying to shoot at a range next to somebody who has one.

I still use the black electrical tape, I just run it down past the end of the porting holes to cover the brake area also. As far as noise goes shooting with a brake, I always wear ear plugs. I wonder how many people do more damage to their ears shooting non muzzle-brake rifles without ear protection? If they were forced to wear ear protection because of a brake, they might be better off than using a "quieter gun" without any protection.

I have some rifles with breaks and all I do is to run longer stips of the tape. Never had a problem. One does have an interchangable break and thread protector.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

First off, I am never concerned about rain or water getting into my gun. This is Alaska and everything gets wet. Keeping debris ,such as mud or snow, from packing into the barrel is much more important. Use TAPE, electrical or what ever you have. I've used medical tape when I couldn't fine the electrical tape. Whatever you have is what you use. Condoms and balloons fail to hold up while walking through the brush.

Muzzle brakes are for the range. I say this because I have one. Actually I have the BOSS on my Win mod 70. I remove the brake and put on the weight, without break, for the field. I started doing this after I resisted a follow up shot on a bear because my ears were ringing so bad.

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    I still use the black electrical tape, I just run it down past the end of the porting holes to cover the brake area also. As far as noise goes shooting with a brake, I always wear ear plugs. I wonder how many people do more damage to their ears shooting non muzzle-brake rifles without ear protection? If they were forced to wear ear protection because of a brake, they might be better off than using a "quieter gun" without any protection.
    I always wear ear protection, sometimes I double up, ear plugs and muffs depending on the firearm at hand or the #@%^$#& muzzlebreak going off next to me. I always use them hunting, also.

my opinion has always been if you have to have a break you have to much gun. nothing out there won't die with a smaller gun and proper shooting...
    however, i get alot of clients with breaks, mostly cause they think they need it, and i put tape down over all the ports, it will blow off sideways so be thinking of those around you when you shoot a break with tape on it, it will be flying around beside you!
    like akjeff said, waters not so much the issue as junk or debris is...
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

There are some good tips here....I didn't think of the condom approach...that seems like a very good trick. Thanks for that! Seems the electrical tape is the preferred approach for durability.

Good point on the debri and etc

Not sure about the other responses telling me that I need to learn how to shoot my "big boomer" or get a gun that I am comfortable with or the weak shoulder routine??? Seems a little pretentious if you ask me. Some people like Ford trucks, some people like Chevy trucks....lets just leave it at that.

There are some good tips here....I didn't think of the condom approach...that seems like a very good trick. Thanks for that! Seems the electrical type is the preferred approach for durability

Not sure about the other responses telling me that I need to learn how to shoot my "big boomer" or get a gun that I am comfortable with or the weak shoulder routine??? Seems a little pretentious if you ask me. Some people like Ford trucks, some people like Chevy trucks....lets just leave it at that.
    As for the condoms (don't laugh!), they're also excellent for covering almost everything in your First Aid kit.

i have a magna-ported .338, and if i bought another i woukldn't port it. However with that said it was a screamin deal at the time, it hits what i point it at, and has been 100% reliable. I put maybe 3-5 rounds through it a year, a zero before the hunt, and then whatever i shoot at.
    it's loud, but i can live with it.
    i use elecrical tape over the muzzle and down the sides, and keep a couple extra strips on the fore end.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

While im out bushwacking I always have a pocket with a few balloons. I usually try to keep one on the end of the barrel to keep debris and rain out from the inside.

I throw a few of these in my kit, they are a little snug on a barrel but they are tough, tape works great as well.

http://littleredcap.com/

I suspect they would be long enough to fit over the brake openings
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by wykee5 View Post
    I believe that when hunting, there are times when you will probably shoot without ear protection even when you make it a practice, not to. The situation may demand it, or you might forget.

There are things, other than Muzze Brakes that you can do to mediate recoil, like heavier guns, longer barrels, and shooting stances, or shooting SITS. (At the bench.)

Muzzle Brakes ARE effective, but the downsides are considerable, especially the ear damage. I don't bleeve you're gonna get much ear damage from a hunting shot or 3 from a non=braked rifle, unless you have a Very Short Barrel.

If one doesn't choose the largest cartridge, the lightest weight gun, and the shortest barrel, I "WONDER" if they would feel the need for a Brake.

JMHO
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast