Thread: Fly fishing Salmon in the Interior

Default Fly fishing Salmon in the Interior

I would like to get a little more use out of my 10 weight and was hoping to catch a Chum and/or a King, but probably dont have much more time to head South. Any advice on where to go (fly friendly water), and what flies or presentation you used.

Thanks Much

search delta clearwater silvers... will get more information than is needed

There is more than ample water to chase kings on the Chena and the Salcha with your fly rod however it will be a matter of timing and water levels not to mention dodging power boats now and again. Chena Lake Rec area has walk in access below the the dam. If you fish in the later hours of the night and or early early hours of the morning you will find wade-able water that leans towards Fly Fishing. The Kings normally enter the system by the 4th of the July and are high enough to fish by Chena lake by the 12th fo July however be warned the ADF&G are monitoring the Yukon Kings and I can't promise you traditional numbers. Same goes with the Salcha pick you spots from the Bridge down and you will have Fly Fishing Waters available.

Tight Lines

BMR

you forgot to mention the extreamly low chance of catching a king on fly in the chena or salcha... hence the suggestion of silvers in delta

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    you forgot to mention the extreamly low chance of catching a king on fly in the chena or salcha... hence the suggestion of silvers in delta
    And you seem to forget he was looking for a place to fish kings or chums with his 10wt.....

touche.... but if im not mistaken chums also run delta clearwater

There are a bunch of places where chums pool up in the Chena but it's not legal to fish them upstream of Moose Creek Dam. I have to say that the ones I see look nearly dead. Can't imagine fishing for them.

Quote Originally Posted by aktyler View Post
    touche.... but if im not mistaken chums also run delta clearwater
    If I'm not mistaken, you are mistaken...

Been fishing the Delta Clearwater for several years and have never seen a chum. Although a quick stop by Rikas roadhouse shows them in droves right next to the shore in the Tanana, October time frame.
    I am serious... and don't call me Shirley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM2K7sV-K74

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMoose View Post
    it will be a matter of timing and water levels not to mention dodging power boats
    BMR
    It seems like a person would need to keep a very close eye on the run chart to even have a snowball's chance in East Tennessee at catching a salmon in the Chena.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I guess as my wife has said so many times "I must be Specail" in oh so many ways, or is that you are Oh So Special in many ways.

Basket is half full or is it really half empty? Um! Oh oh oh I will pick half full. Fact of the matter is you can effectively fish Kings with a fly rod on either stream been there done that on several outtings. NO it is no like fly fishing them on other rivers and or creeks, and no it is not as much fun if you have 3,000 people on the system but if you do your homework and put in your time and find the places on each system that lend more towards fishing with the long rod you will have more then an ample chance of hooking your fish.

On a side concerning Flies:

Standard King Stuff - Fat Freddies, Larger Flash Flies and or ANY Thing Bright and Bunny will produce if in fact the fish are in the system and you don't mind tossing a fly for a couple of hours now and again.

You all have a very wonderful Day.

Signed

Oh So Special in So Many Ways

A 10wt is really too large for any salmon fishing for us in the Interior. Although I have seen some people use a 9wt for grayling. Its kinda like Sergeant Rock carrying those bandoleers of 50cal rounds crossed wrapped on him in the comic book, when there was no weapon organic to the platoon to use them with. In a answer to a 'letter to the editor" about the subject stated, "maybe he's just trying to loose some wieght?"

None the less if your bent on trying to get the 10wt bent...the suggestions given already provided above will work. Just adding a little more info...

Salcha/Chena both have a run of king salmon at a peak from mid-late July. Historically (last 5years) its a fair-poor run and getting worse. muddy water usually prevents a good count and I bet the rivers close early again this year for Kings. The fish travel a long way and are blushed. Yes...you can get presentations with a fly at a few locations, I think your 10wt is probablly over sized for these fish. Salcha would be the better choice for a chum.

Delta (Late September-November) hosts the largest congregation of coho salmon in any river for the Interior. Again these fish are blushed and your 10wt will be like taking a howitzer to a pistol match IMHO. Yes, I have seen a couple chum in the river.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com