Thread: No felt

Default No felt

I hear felt is a no-no in Alaskan rivers. I have regular rubber Korker soles for the older version of the shoe and can't find studded rubber soles for the shoe I have. Will I need to buy new shoes or can I make my way around with only rubber soles?

The rubber soles you got with the boots are made for hiking and are not very good in the water, they get hard and therefore very slick. There are a few Korkers dealers here, I think you should be able to find a set of the aqua stealth or kling on rubbers. This is provided that the boots you have use a rubber strap that slips over a pin and not the velcro strap.
    "The Tug is the Drug"

I don't have the newest version but I do have the one before it with the strap on the back with flat tabs on the side. My problem is I can't find those inserts for a size 14 shoe unless I pay about as much as a whole new pair.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    I don't have the newest version but I do have the one before it with the strap on the back with flat tabs on the side. My problem is I can't find those inserts for a size 14 shoe unless I pay about as much as a whole new pair.
    try calling Malinda's fly shop1-315-298-2993.....she is a super lady... as nice and helpful as Brad.

sorry i might get off post but it's too bad if you only fish one place. (ie.) i have a pair of felt soles at my in-laws fish camp on the kasilof that only get used on one river that you can't use them there and only there. oh well guess i'll have to toss em' cost more to get the soles changed than the boots are worth. foo i'd prob just buy a cheap-o pair of studded soles but rubber prob work fine

Foo we spoke before. Costco has rubber soled boots for $50 right now, at least in Denver. They probably aren't the best but will definately get you through your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Foo View Post
    Go to a Simms dealer if you can, and take along one of your soles for a sample. Simms has add-on studs in a few styles, complete with screws for mounting them. If the screws aren't too long, you should be able simply to screw the studs right onto your Corker soles.

i had some cheapo felts that i used for awhile. Felt ban came and i got me a pair of Simms Boas and will never look back!

Thanks for all the help. I think I found someone who has a pair.

Are the rock pretty slick in the parks highway creeks? How about the Kenai/Russian area? Big smooth boulders covered in slime or smaller rocks?

Streams vary. Many are gravel, and the sole doesn't matter. On others, there are slick boulders. Agree that you could add the Simms studs which work reasonably well. A cheap fix would be sheet metal screws which is what some use for studs anyway.

Will do if need be. Thanks