Thread: What is your favorite halibut leader?

Default What is your favorite halibut leader?

What is your favorite halibut leader made out of and what is your favorite circle hook?

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    What is your favorite halibut leader made out of and what is your favorite circle hook?
    I make mine out of 400 lb. test mono and use 16/0 hooks.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I have had several crimped store bought leaders pull out of the crimp.
    Once on an 80# butt after we had him in the boat. But also on several 15-20 pound chickens thrashing on the surface.
    Now all I use is 200# and 300# tuna cord. I buy the blue stuff from the Gear shed in Homer.
    I use a gaignon knot and haven't lost a fish due to line problems since.
    I usually buy 16/0 Mustard as they are available locally.
    Be sure to sharpen them though.
    The gaignon knot is super easy to tie and the fish are not spooked by the line color at all.
    Plus you can easily customize the length or add a fake squid etc.

Chris i have some of the same cord you use. All my years of going "stealth" for walleye and other fish makes it hard for me to use something so visable but i know butts dont care. It still bothers me though LOL. i used to use 2lb for panfish through the ice. 6lb green trilene for walley and do anything i could to be stealthy.

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I have had several crimped store bought leaders pull out of the crimp.
    You got that right. I don't know what kind of monkeys they have doing the crimps, but the results are rotten.

I use crimped leaders (200# mono), but I do all my own crimps. But not just that, I also do a "cable" knot before crimping the ends. I don't know if it's the official name, but we use it on heavy wire leaders for big blue water fish. It's basically a simple overhand knot on the eye of the hook (or swivel or snap), but you pass the end through the loop twice rather than once. The cable knot actually does the work, while the crimp simply keeps the end of the leader tight agains the main body. Sorry I can't manage a better explanation.

I know what you mean about tuna cord being cheap and easy, with the "invisibility" of mono not an issue. Only reason I don't use it is a nasty tendency to twist the leader around my main line with larger baits as the rig sinks to the bottom. I've lost fish when that wrapped tuna cord cut my main line, especially with heavier sinkers. My point about "invisibility" not being an issue with halibut is my experience with white halibut gangions on long lines. Heck, to limit/prevent the twisting as rigs sink, I slide surgical tubing over my 200# mono leaders.

BTW- My leaders are shaped like an upside down "V" with one leg longer. The long leg has the circle hook (Mustad) and is the one covered with surgical tubing. The shorter leg (half as long as the other leg) is bare with a snap for attaching the weight. The top of the V is a barrel swivel for attaching the main line with a corkscrew snap. Takes about 5 minutes to make one of these leaders, and I've never had one fail, mostly due to the addition of that cable knot, I think. The crimps aren't doing the main work.

My wife and I prefer a 24 inch leader. I use 300 lb mono leader with a Gamakatsu 12/0 Lazer Sharp J-Hook on the bottom with a chartruese skirt over the hook, and up from the hook about 14" I place a crimp stopper with a bead on top of it with a corkscrew swivel to attach the weight. I have Mustad 16/0 circle hooks set up as well the same way. We prefer the J-Hook as we can't help ourselves and enjoy setting the hook. Old habits are hard to break.

I make my own halibut leaders after having commercial crimps pull loose several times. Mostly use nylon coated
    Sevenstrand steel, I like the stiff leaders. I use corkscrew swivels for the weight, makes it easy to change. For hooks I prefer VMC Permasteel 16/0 circle hooks, they don't rust and the point is the best I've found, it is conical and very sharp from the factory, easy to sharpen, and never brittle as I've found with many others. I bought a box of 100 from Captain Hook, I think, some online place...so I'll be using them a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Chris i have some of the same cord you use. All my years of going "stealth" for walleye and other fish makes it hard for me to use something so visable but i know butts dont care.
    Yeah, I'd certainly have to challenge anyone that says butt do care. Maybe scent has everything to do with attracting them, but once they're there they don't give a lick what they grab. The other day we were pulling fish up from the depths and we'd have one or two following it to the surface. And the "followers" were actually grabbing the 20oz. weights! It was pretty funny.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I like using a double hook set up made with 300# mono and a corkscrew swivel for the weight. I fish at 300'+ most of the time and it is nice to have that second piece of bait if you get robbed the first time.

550 cord..lol

There was a guy in homer making them out of white 550 cord..pretty neat setup. and worked well for us... Get a roll and a bunch of hooks...time some figure eight knots and have at it...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.