Thread: canoe bow/stern guards

Default canoe bow/stern guards

I have a Mad River Malecite that has the old plastic guards both broken. Any suggestions for replacement? I'd rather not spend too much, but it would be nice to cover the gunwale ends...

You have a few nice welding shops down there on the KP. Make up a bow and nose cap cardboard template to look the way you want it, take the templates to the welding shop, and have them put together your bow and stern caps. Pick an aluminum paint of your choice.....and you're good to go.

Or, you could call Mad River and ask for those cheap replacements. I hate plastic bow and stern caps, likewise, I hate the cheesy aluminum or vinyl gunwales that are an industry minimum. I will always long for white ash, and if my memory serves me right........that is what you have is white ash gunwales.

I'm undergoing a similar project as you(sometime in the future), I'm pulling all the cheap plastic off my Esquif, and replacing it with aluminum caps, and white ash gunwales.

Mainer,

When you get around to doing your Cargo, post a couple pictures of the bow cap...I'm thinking of doing the same thing in AL and maybe running it down the nose to meet the kevlar guard I put on the bottom. Last time I was out my wife came up a little short on stopping forward motion as we approached a sea wall. No major damage but it is ugly.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.