Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Talkeetna River with a prop

Default Talkeetna River with a prop

Whats the fartherst up the talkeetna anyones ran a prop? jets are hugely popular up there, but was curious on the prop situation for running the river.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Rescued several (3) a mile up river from ramp if that helps
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

before the first bend??? geez, i've floated that quiet a few times and theres always been plenty of water for a prop i thought...i woulda thought you coulda got to clear creek just fine if you thought it out first...maybe i was off.
    Master guide 212

If you have run the river many times it could be possible. I personally would not try it that river bottom changes way to much. The people we rescued have never been up there and hit gravel bars busted prop

Ive learned from my experience. Why chance ripping up your prop. Just get a jet.

don't really want a jet won't really have the application for it, but figured if i've got a prop what else can i do with it...figured a skeg guard and maybe a little research and i might be able to get around a bit more.
    Master guide 212

Surface drive!

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    don't really want a jet won't really have the application for it, but figured if I've got a prop what else can i do with it...
    You can replace it after the Talkeetna run that's what you can do with it . All jokes aside not saying it could not or has not been done just I personally would not chance it.You floated it there is lots off deep water just common sense when going up. Worst case lots of people to rescue you if you need

lol thanks roger, i'll get yer phone number before i head up..i'll be wearing the pink hat listening to lady gaga...
    Master guide 212

lol thanks roger, i'll get yer phone number before i head up..i'll be wearing the pink hat listening to lady gaga...
    Where's your BEACON????

lol thanks roger, i'll get yer phone number before i head up..
    I'll give it to you but it won't do you any good except for you can hear me say "I TOLD YA SO"... LOL!!! I sold my boat ,But it is parked at the mouth of the Talkeetna doing tours with someone else

well just toss a line across the river as i float by for me then....
    Master guide 212

I just got back from two days on the talkeetna going up to disappoint creek three times there is a lot
    Of water in the talkeetna right now but even the amount of water in there save some $$$ and dont try it with prop (my $.02)
    2005 20' Weldcraft Sabre XL 350 MP
    SD309 AT
    2009 Polaris Dragon 800 163
    Custom Mod's

The Talkeetna is remarkably similar to the Tatonduk (Sheep creek). It can be 10 feet deep and then 6 inches deep all of a sudden, and when you smash your prop, it is at the absolute worst time, right where the water is roaring, and all of a sudden you are being washed downstream out of control.

Quote Originally Posted by theunseenowl View Post
    The Talkeetna is remarkably similar to the Tatonduk (Sheep creek). It can be 10 feet deep and then 6 inches deep all of a sudden, and when you smash your prop, it is at the absolute worst time, right where the water is roaring, and all of a sudden you are being washed downstream out of control.
    \

been there man lol. it's somewhat stressful.
    It's not skybusting if you fold em'.

I think if you plan on going on any river in alaska besides the Yukon and Tanana, you should definitely get an inboard jet of some sort or an airboat. I had a friend who destroyed his prop on the Yukon of all places, he was in 30 feet of water and all of a sudden smashed into some shallow and ripped the outboard almost clean off the stern. he was sitting on a 5 gallon bucket on a tiny little island when I drove past him, he was coming to visit me, and his boat was in about ten inches of water.

I had to pull him from the Nation River all the way back to Eagle with my 40 horse Yamaha on an 18 foot Lund semi-V. you will spend a lot more money on gas with a jet, but it is worth it in the long run IMO. it took us forever. luckily, he had a lot of gas in his disabled boat or we wouldn't have made it back that 50 miles upriver.

strangest forum i have ever been on...all the posts are in reverse order, but anyway, a reply to the person who mentioned "surface drives". those are only good above 40mph or so, and then they are, supposedly, pretty incredible. just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by theunseenowl View Post
    a reply to the person who mentioned "surface drives". those are only good above 40mph or so
    Huh?!?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Huh?!?!?!?!?!
    depending on the boat, surface drives are only efficient at really high speeds on planing hulls. unless one or the other of us is talking about different things, my interpretation of a surface drive is an asymmetrical prop that tends to chop the water like a blender. they are ridiculously inefficient at low speed and in turn are extremely efficient at high speed.

there was this Canadian guy one time on the Yukon, he had an inboard "surface" drive boat that was about 26 feet long, I had never seen anything like it before. he was going about 70 miles an hour and the whole entire boat was completely out of the water. the only thing touching the water was the last foot of the stern and the prop. he was throwing up a spray that was about ten feet high and 40 feet long.

but they are completely impractical for anything but open water at high speed. there are some really cool videos on youtube of them.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R8aXvhyyB8
    Last edited by theunseenowl; 06-29-2012 at 07:15. Reason: forgot something

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast