Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk lanterns

Default Let's talk lanterns

Every attempt at a lantern, I've failed miserably. Rather.....the promises failed me miserably.

Here's a rundown on my lantern failures:

1. I started out with a coleman F1 Light:
    http://www.coleman.com/product/f1-li...tCategory=1015

It was tempermental during cold weather, and I had to bore out the air holes slightly larger. I really like the screen and the light weight though....nothing to break. I then attached a small hose clamp that was used to adjust the airflow. It worked out Ok, and the air flow constantly has to be adjusted according the the temp. If you don't adjust for airflow....you get a dull yellow glow. Get around 40 below during ice fishing trips.....it's a no go. It no longer works.....I think it has to be dipped in a cleaning solution. I will never own another butane canister lantern.

2. I then tried to maintain the relatively compact approach and bought two of these:
    http://www.coleman.com/product/perfe...tCategory=1010

The cheap plastic knobs eventually broke, not allowing me to adjust the brightness, and the glass globes eventually shattered. Good thing we had two of them. The propane bottles eventually became a hassle. I never made it through a moose hunting season. I will never buy another propane operated lantern

3. I saw all these battery operated L.E.D lanterns and bought this right before ice fishing season:

http://store.bruntonoutdoor.com/ligh...light-360-reg/

This was ultimately the most worthless piece of crap I've ever used. It topped the list of feeble, temperamental, and the lowest availability of livable light. It was constantly dulling, and all the electronic connections inside use feeble little piece of paper thing sheet metal. It's the ultimate made in China mass produced happy meal toy. I thought the ability to use different batteries would be great.......it won't reliably work with AA batteries. Add some cold weather......you're better off using it for target practice with your favorite hunting rifle. I will never buy another battery operated lantern.

4. I've come to the conclusion that there is no beating a liquid fuel lantern, the only problem, is the glass, you need to either make your own screen, or buy one as an accessory. There is no beating white gas, and there is no viable alternative. The only problem is WEIGHT and SIZE. I need to find one that is both tough, and compact. I say this again: There is no alternative, I need a better lantern.

I've come down to these two, and I may buy them both anyways just to compare them. The "britleyt" seems like a marketing gimmick, but we'll see. The coleman looks small enough, and I'll just build my own globe screen and impact resistant/lighweight carry case. Both are compact enough, but does anyone have any experience with either model, or with another brand of liquid fuel lantern?

Britelyt 150 CP:
    http://shop.britelyt.com/

Coleman Power house:
    http://www.coleman.com/product/premi...tCategory=1015

Rocking the JetBoil most of the time, the baby Brunton Rocket Lantern was a no brainer. Good light output, easy on the fuel and lightweight/compact.

again for the second time, no thanks to any Brunton product, or any butane canister, battery operated, or propane lanterns. Input on the two lanterns mentioned or any other viable liquid fuel lantern is my only interest.

I haven't tried the Coleman powerhouse but I have several previous versions of the Coleman white gas lantern from the early 2000s to way back in the 40s (my Grandads actually.) The basic design hasn't really changed at all. White gas, generator, mantle...all might be interchangeable for all I know. Super easy on fuel. Made in USA...a real rarity these days.

Not really for back packing but awesome for a float trip or with motorized support. Team it up with the Coleman white gas stove and a gallon of fuel might just last all hunting season. You used to be able to buy a globe case- basically a plastic crushproof case for a spare globe and a packet of replacement mantles, a good idea.

Low speed, high drag but they dang well work....and work....and work.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks for the insight hodge, my outdoor life gets better all the time, when I quit infesting my life with this never ending sickness for everything feeble and lightweight. I sleep better, boat better, hunt better, shoot better, save more money, hike longer, perform less field repairs and never look back.

Of course I still desire reasonable limits to the size and weight of gear, it seems a lot of traditional pieces of outdoor equipment never needed much improvement to begin with.

Sure sounds like you have some lantern issues!

I have used that small Coleman that runs on the propane bottles and thought it was a great lantern for the tent but that was about it plus you have to be real careful with the globe.

I also have a duel fuel Coleman that works great but I have yet to use it in cold weather. Mostly use it in the fall and occasionally in the spring. I have used the Army Coleman lanterns that are white gas only down to about -20 and never had any issues with them so I do not think there would be any issues with their duel fuel models.

That Britelyt 150 CP sounds like an interesting lantern but for that price it better work!

Mainer...you might check some yard sales for these. They're really hard to kill and I've picked up a couple for cheap.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Take lots of mantels. They sure do heat up a tent in a hurry too!
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    That looks like a Vapalux M1B marked up to about three times the manufacturers retail price.

http://vapaluxmall.com/product.php?id_product=15

Another cool link:

http://tgmarsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/index.htm
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

thanks for that link. She's a beaut, but too rich for my tastes. You could rationalize the price though, when you think of what we spend on hunting rifles, and the computers we type on.

According to my wife I can rationalize anything I want...in full disclosure...some truth there.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Petromax HK500

I have a few of these and they are great.parts can be purchased from Britelyte.mine have the military cases and travel pretty well

Go with change, check out a black diamond Titan. It will change your view on LED lanterns.

Agreed. I got all three sizes of the BD led lanterns.

Almost recommended them here, but the OP was clear about wanting a liquid fuel stove.

LED will never be like a liquid fuel lantern.

But in the led line, BD is top dog.

LEDs provide little to no heat. Curious how they perform in the cold (with Li batteries presumably)

Hard to beat the various Colemans as was mentioned. Some things just don't need improving upon.

Also, you can use regular unleaded in them just fine, with the occasional tank of white gas for cleaning out the crud. Have never had a lantern or stove clog due to regular unleaded, though the fumes will get to you after a while, they do with white gas too.

Put them below your chair, wrap yourself in a space blanket, and warm up and dry out in no time. Don't think an led would do the job there.

You will not have any problems with L.E.D. in extrema cold if you use lithium battery. I use to hunt moose from a cold camp and if it were not for my Coleman lantern to dry clothes and heat the tent I would not have survived.

With all the useless gear we take hunting I do not understand why a Coleman lantern would be a problem on a hunt.

Like Hodgeman I have several Coleman Lamps and Lanterns. A few are the old ones which require the external pumps. Like others mentioned they will dry you out, keep you warm and put out lots of light to just a mellow glow. The cons however, and this just may be the way I care for them is that the glass globes get broken and the mantels also get broken once used. As I said I have old colemans also. One of them has a mica globe does not break and still lets out a lot of light. Wish I could fine some more of those. At any rate I think the colemans are the way to go. Cheap for gas lanters but they work. Oh one more problem, they supper heat the fuel to atomize to burn so well. In real real cold weather they may flame for quite awhile before they take off. Hope this helps your choice.

Picked up the powerhouse duel fuel lantern. Cleaned out my butane canister lantern with sea foam and compressed air, gonna see if it'll finally work again, and will keep it as a back up.

You got me wanting one now.

Spending 3 weeks in my tent in AK this Aug/Sept, 2 weeks of that in NW.

Seems like a good time to try out a fuel lantern.

Can't decide between Northstar or Dual Fuel.

Either way, cool accessory here...

http://www.soderbloom.com/reflectralight.html

Heard about Mica globes that won't break, but have not found them yet.

Dan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast