Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 dead, Lake Louise..

Default 2 dead, Lake Louise..

Apparently they are dragging 2 bodies out of the lake as we speak. They were from Tenn and rented a 12' lund w/8 horse from one of the lodges. The lake is flat calm. Life vests people, life vests...

Case number: AK12214289
    Type: Boating fatality X 2
    Text: On 6-22-2012 at 1211 hours, Alaska State Troopers received a 911
    call from Edwin Curtis, age 56, of Cleveland Tennessee, reporting Steven
    Kirkpatrick, age 59, of Cleveland Tennessee, and Jeffrey Kirkpatrick,
    age 56, of Cleveland Tennessee fell out of a 14 foot boat on Lake
    Louise, near Glennallen. Edwin Curtis and Rex Calfee, age 51, of
    Charleston Tennessee were able to get Steven Kirkpatrick to shore and
    began to perform CPR within 15 minutes. Jeffrey Kirkpatrick body was
    recovered from the bottom of Lake Louise after being submerged for
    approximately 45 minutes. Local EMS providers responded to Lake Louise
    and continued CPR, however attempts to resuscitate were met with
    negative results. Steven and Jeffrey Kirkpatrick were pronounced
    deceased at approximately 1357 hours. AST investigation disclosed Steven
    Kirkpatrick fell overboard after starting the outboard motor. Jeffrey
    Kirkpatrick jumped overboard in an attempt to save his brother. AST
    investigation disclosed neither Steven nor Jeffrey Kirkpatrick were
    wearing a life vest. Next of Kin have been notified.
    Author: DWC1
    Received Friday, June 22, 2012 7:22 PM and posted Friday, June 22, 2012 7:26 PM

From http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PIO/dispa...2.20120622.txt

Best wishs and thoughts to the ones they left behind.

Probably a one in a lifetime trip for the brothers and thier friends. ( Don't know that ) but my thoughts are with the familys they left behind.

Default two drowned

Boy I am thinking the Lodge could be in big trouble as you should not be able to ever start a boat engine in gear as it should have an interlock to prevent this the fact is the lodge rented faulty equipment.

hunter1951

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post
    Boy I am thinking the Lodge could be in big trouble as you should not be able to ever start a boat engine in gear as it should have an interlock to prevent this the fact is the lodge rented faulty equipment.

hunter1951
    Where did it say it started in gear? I just says he fell overboard after starting the boat. For all we know he may have been standing up moving gear around. This is how rumours get started. Get your facts straight.

What hunter1951 said is what was reported in the news regarding starting the OB in gear.

I think it's abhorrant that someone would blame the lodge for this. Not saying some folks wouldnt though....

I personally have always been able to start outboards in gear. How else would you ever start a jet? It's always in gear...

Sad deal! I am trying to figure out how guy number two got into the water far enough away from the boat to drown. Presumably he would have turned the boat around, brought it back to the original point and shut it down prior to jumping in after guy number one. Nothing but conjecture to come from the wire report alone but it just seems like the described timeline of events is "off".

sikes

huh thats too bad,.. oh well

The bottom line:
    Quote Originally Posted by trailblazersteve View Post
    Life vests people, life vests...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Sad deal! I am trying to figure out how guy number two got into the water far enough away from the boat to drown. Presumably he would have turned the boat around, brought it back to the original point and shut it down prior to jumping in after guy number one. Nothing but conjecture to come from the wire report alone but it just seems like the described timeline of events is "off".
    All too true, but you know how panic grabs some folks . . . . . The "rescuer" shouldn't have left the boat without some sort of flotation gear either. Typcal of double drowning. In the end, it's a sad day for everyone concerned. And it shouldn't have happened.

In a boat? Wear flotation gear !!!

Good reminder. I have a mess of extra vests laying around that I think I will drag down to finger lake and hang up on the kids don't float rack today.

Am I missing something here or is this typical news reporting, lacking many details that can explain what really happened.

Where the two rescuers close by? presumably in another boat? How far away were they? All were from Tennessee and can only guess they were in two boats as 4 people in a 14' would be mighty crowded. A rental that starts in gear would certainly end up with some liability, 2 people died......a jet may start in gear but the bucket is partially blocking the outlet, also starting in gear would mean that more throttle could be applied more than a typical fast idle. Not saying its right but the lodge could be in for some legal issues.

Its still hard for me to picture 2 people falling in and not grabbing the boat, was there alcohol involved? Did the boat speed away? Did Jeffery jump in the water before he shut the boat down?...............might sound awful, but maybe Darwinism applies....?
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by hunter1951 View Post

hunter1951
    Small outboards don't have anything to keep them from starting in gear. With all of our 15hp 2-stroke outboards, as long as you don't have the throttle pinned, it will let you start them in gear which is very useful when running in shallow rivers and you have to jump in, get it started and under power before getting caught by the current or pushed back into the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Small outboards don't have anything to keep them from starting in gear.
    They all are supposed to have start in gear lockout. Yours is a dangerous situation even if you somehow see it as a benefit. Sad that two people lost their lives on Lake Louise. I witnessed what at least sounds like a similar accident. Thankfully, there were no injuries...but both occupants were in the water in less than 2 seconds flat wondering what the heck happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyak View Post
    They all are supposed to have start in gear lockout. Yours is a dangerous situation even if you somehow see it as a benefit. Sad that two people lost their lives on Lake Louise. I witnessed what at least sounds like a similar accident. Thankfully, there were no injuries...but both occupants were in the water in less than 2 seconds flat wondering what the heck happened.
    Strange. Seems that every small outboard I have ever used, not just one or two, are the same way. They let you start it in gear. It does have a lockout type thing so you can't have it on high throttle at the time, but nothing stops you from starting it on low-mid throttle. These are all late 70's to early 80's vintage Evinrude/Johnson 9.9-15hp, so maybe before the lockout systems were required? Whatever it is, it is wrong to claim that motors will not let you start them in gear or that they are faulty if they do. Obviously some were designed to let you start in gear.

My 3.5 new merc starts in gear or netural.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It's interesting how it could be perceived as the lodge or the motors fault for so one's ignorance and there lose of life. Don't get me know I feel for there family but if they were not wearing a PFD, and standing up in the boat while trying to start the motor then that is negligence on there part. If someone went into the water to save another then that goes against one of your rule of water safety. I am not saying that I would not go in after a loved one myself because I would but I also know my limitations as well. As a rescue diver I know what the effects of water temps at 40 to 50 degrees do to the body in the first 30 sec. of contact... compound that with inexperience to the area and conditions and you are out of luck.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    Strange. Seems that every small outboard I have ever used, not just one or two, are the same way. They let you start it in gear. It does have a lockout type thing so you can't have it on high throttle at the time, but nothing stops you from starting it on low-mid throttle. These are all late 70's to early 80's vintage Evinrude/Johnson 9.9-15hp, so maybe before the lockout systems were required? Whatever it is, it is wrong to claim that motors will not let you start them in gear or that they are faulty if they do. Obviously some were designed to let you start in gear.
    Well, I just take that back, then. I researched it for about an hour and it sounded like everything past mid 80's had a lock out. Amigo Will's post pretty well shoots that notion down. My '04 6hp 4 stroke will only start in "N"

Prayers sent

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I believe that my 2 stroke 5hp merc is a 2006. It can be started no matter where the gear lever is. I've never had an outboard that would only start in neutral.

Sad story! If anybody ever needs extra loaner life jackets please just send me an email. I would loan them out to anybody.

Byron

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast