Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valdez Pinks

Default Valdez Pinks

Any reports on Valdez pinks? Want to take the family down there for 4th of July. Have any of you been then? What are the chances of Pinks being available at Allison Point? Want the kids to slay em!

No pinks yet as I sit overlooking the Valdez harbor. Heard they are getting closer
    Your sarcasm is way, waaaayyyyyyyy more sarcastic than mine!

Any new information on the pinks? We will be down there next weekend (along with a lot of others Im sure). Im sure there will be some in the bay either way, but with any luck we can hit allison point if the weather gets bad.

In would expect everything to be late. The Lowe river still has loads of snow melt going into the ocean and is near flood level. Everything else in town has been late this year because of the snow.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Anyone with a recent report of pinks location?

We just got off the water, no sign of pinks inside of the narrows.... No many seiners out either.

There have been 3-4 seiners working the Narrows the last couple days. Yesterday I saw them bring up a haul and they had quite a load of fish. This morning I passed one making a set and they had a deck full of fish flopping around. The deckhands were kicking them into the hold. Over at Esther Island they are jumping like popcorn.

The seiners working Valdez right now are fishing cost recovery. Yesterday they caught 56,000 fish, with a 4.16 lb average. Female percentage is at 14%. The announcements are searchable on the adf&g website, under commercial fisheries.

The rest of us are waiting for the common property opener. Hoping it comes soon. There will be a lot of seiners in Valdez this year. I heard there are ~250 active permits this year (have not verified for myself). Not all boats will be fishing every opener (break downs, dual permit holders, etc), but it will certainly be crowded this year

Here's hoping they've got all the pinks the commercial guys need by next week. My calendar says I fished pinks in Valdez July 9 last year and they were there in good numbers, so I'm heading down on the 12th for a couple days of kayak fishing.

Quick question: Everyone knows the pinks head for their "spawning" grounds at Allison Point. Does anyone know if they stay on that side of the port or do any decent numbers also run down the harbor side? I don't know how many natural-spawn salmon run on that side of the port, and I've always gone to Allison to get my pinks. Just wondering.

Another day on the water of Valdez and I didnt see any jumpers. We headed all the way out to Bligh and didnt catch sight of anything breaking the water except a whale. The noise on 16 is making it seem like noone is catching much. I was here last year and they were in pretty thick in the narrows at this point. I hope they are just running a bit late...

What's the word??? any pinks at Allison point yet??

Whats the word?? Any pinks at Allison point yet???

Alaska - I wasn't born here, but I got here as soon as I could!

Quote Originally Posted by Bibico View Post
    Here's hoping they've got all the pinks the commercial guys need by next week. My calendar says I fished pinks in Valdez July 9 last year and they were there in good numbers, so I'm heading down on the 12th for a couple days of kayak fishing.

Quick question: Everyone knows the pinks head for their "spawning" grounds at Allison Point. Does anyone know if they stay on that side of the port or do any decent numbers also run down the harbor side? I don't know how many natural-spawn salmon run on that side of the port, and I've always gone to Allison to get my pinks. Just wondering.
    You can catch them on both sides, no worries. If they're at Allison Pt, they can be found by the harbor as well.

The first common property opener for the seiners is Wednesday. We will be fishing the west half of the port down to rocky point. The cost recovery effort is about a quarter complete. Big pinks this year. The average size is up to 4.3 lbs. good luck to everyone headed out, and watch out for those cork lines

Saw a few jumpers out near Goose Island and Knowles head, but nothing back inside of the narrows today. Seems to be a bit slow still. Threw a line a few times today with no takers.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Saw a few jumpers out near Goose Island and Knowles head, but nothing back inside of the narrows today. Seems to be a bit slow still. Threw a line a few times today with no takers.
    Awesome, thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the update.

Is there any update on the pinks in Valdez? Thinking we will head down in the morning!

Just came thru the arm tonight. Its going to be a slaughter by the seiners. The arm is packed with commercial vessels from buoy 9 to Entrance Point.

I watched them set a few sets this morning while I was working my shrimp pots, pretty slim pickings. We wet a couple of lines and saw a few swim under the boat, but still no jumpers and no rod action.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast