Thread: Gulkana River Report June 22

Default Gulkana River Report June 22

Just got back from a drop off and ran into one of the guides who are working the river. He was running his Jet unit up to Twin Rocks which is a well know King/Red hot spot above the Gulkana River RV park and below Poplar Grove. His clients had 2 nice kings and a good looking batch of Reds from this mornings outing. He also hooked lost and hooked and landed a king at the same spot.

Soooo. The water is dropping to near normal levels, it is still a little muddy but much better than last weekend, the Reds are here and the Kings are being tough to land and it is Friday! Time to fish!

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-259-4290

Careful with the reporting. By Monday, the only road accessible stream open to chinook in ALL of Cook Inlet will be Kasilof.

It is only open to hatchery fish (early run stock), which are basically done for the season. Not exactly a high probability game if they want a king for the fishbox.

Gulkana is the only other game in town until July 1.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Come to the gulkana. Kill the last kings in Alaska available this year. We will be closing soon!!! Don't wait till July 1st when we close like everything else. Get em while you can. Oh by the way the fishing is hot and I have everything you need to make your trip great! Just give me a ring. Please guys give the fish a rest. Things are bad, writing has been on the wall for awhile. I too like to kill and eat fish but at this point I would rather my children have an opportunity in 3, 4, or 5 years than to make a quick buck by fabricating great fishing tales about certain rivers. Reminds me of duck hunters in the 80's (outside) who bought duck stamps knowing full well they wouldn't hunt. They just bought the stamps and sat it out for awhile. Guess what the ducks came back. Maybe if we practiced some true conservation versus the almighty dollar we would se the same thing with these guys. I know the issue is larger than my simplistic thoughts (commercial, dipnets, fishwheels, pollock, etc) but I appreciate someone else (fishnphysician) adding a little common sense to this ongoing weekly "update" cough cough advertising.

Welcome to the Forum! Are yo this angry on other issues say the Presidential election?

Give it a rest and get out there and fish, raft, hunt and enjoy Alaska and soon before you pop a vein dude!

Walt

While the river is dropping there is still a lot more volume then usual & it is still muddy. Floated Thurs. through today & only fished one hole each day and just for a couple hours. Hot, sunny, & just slow fishing. The two raft guides I talked to Friday didn't have any luck, & a driftboat that was camped up in sailors put in two 10 hr days on the holes right there & got zip.
    It still great to be out & sure beats working. Did see the jet boat guide go by camp every morning but that just not the same. If the fish are there the best bet might be in a couple more days as the water may be managable by then. Hopefully it will be better next year.

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

'Pop a vein'? He is simply pointing out the dire situation our entire state is in with our lack of King numbers, for sport, subsistence and commercial use. But a guy's got to make a living right? You go get em'....and maybe in your free time look up the word 'sustainability'.

Quote Originally Posted by Gulkana Rafting View Post
    Welcome to the Forum! Are yo this angry on other issues say the Presidential election?

Give it a rest and get out there and fish, raft, hunt and enjoy Alaska and soon before you pop a vein dude!

Walt
    Experience is the name every one gives to their mistakes. ~Wilde

We caught several reds floating from Sourdough to the bridge. Water is high and muddy. Very hot for me.
    My child was inmate of the month at Mat-Su pre-trial Correctional facility.

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static-sf...S%20120626.pdf

This emergency order reduces the annual limit for king salmon 20 inches or greater in length in the Upper Copper River drainage from four to one fish. This emergency order also prohibits retention of king salmon in the Gulkana River and that portion of the Copper River from the confluence of the Gulkana and Copper rivers to an ADF&G marker located approximately 500 yards downstream effective 12:01 a.m. Saturday, June 30, 2012. The use of bait and treble hooks in the Gulkana River is also prohibited. Any king salmon retained prior to June 30 is counted toward the annual limit of one king salmon.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Knew that was comming!

Thank goodness for the Reds!

And we knew your reply was coming. More predictable than returning salmon. When the kings get closed/restricted like the last 4 years you start talking about the amazing red fishing. I will even jump in there and say there is alot of reds on the Gulkana this year and they don't appear to be in any trouble so come and get em. Also more rain last few days and more predicated so expect continuing high water. O yeah not popping any veins, just call a spade a spade when I see it.

Question, if you knew the kings were in trouble and they would put in restrictions why these past reports in the last few weeks?

"I don't know how many of you have been tracking the fish counts or gotten any real time reports but the Kings are here and thick."

"We sent out our first batch of fisherman today and I was skeptical as this is way early. Well, the guys had the river to themselves and it was fish on and fast. All fishermen caught kings and we had 6 landed, 2 over 35 pounds to boot."

"Things are looking up for this summers King run on the Gulkana"

"Today the water has cleared up a bunch and the level has dropped about a foot or more. The guys who fished today had good luck with some nice big Kings being landed. Once again the rafters have the advantage and the big rocks are producing good numbers of Kings"

"Local AF&G folks here in Glennallen are expecting a bigger return than we have seen in the past few years"

"with the restrictions on commercial and dip netting we should see a good year sport fishing on the Gulkana."

"We are still seeing nice fresh kings being caught"

Never a bad day fishing with Gulkana Rafting!