Thread: floating the upper kenai

Default floating the upper kenai

All right guys, please bear with me...... A few buddies and I are interested in fishing the upper kenai with our pontoon boats and we are totally lost on how to start. We fish/float exclusively on the parks streams and would just really like to try to go down there once. We figure that you start your float at the bridge, but after that we are totally clueless. I guess the questions I was wondering is where is the pull out? I hear you should pull out at sportsmans, how many road miles and river miles is that away? Also would we float past the russian river? I guess any info would be good for us. We understand how to read rivers and know where to look for fish. I guess im more interested in the logistics of the float. Do we need to bring two cars or is there a shuttle service? Any info would be great! Thanks for any help.

You may want to check with Kenaicache about shuttles. Here is the e mail contact but they do have a website.
    Kenaicache@cs.com

You can put in at the bridge and pull out at Sportsmans or down at Jims Landing.
    You can also put in at Sportsmans and float to Jims Landing.
    It all depends how long a float you want to do. I generally do Sportsmans to Jims most of the time as there are more acessible gravel bars to get out on in that stretch. The bridge to Jims is a long full day float (with fishing stops) while Bridge to Sports and Sports to Jims can be done in 1/2 day or you can spend more time fishing and less time floating.

If you don't know which back channels are safe stick to the main river or this could happen.
    This was some tourists from the L48 that decided to drop into a back channel that they didn't know was blocked.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RaftRescue1.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	60964

All the back channels aka powerline, backside of 57 and jims channel aka the one that flows out at last chance are all open...I ran them all last week
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Were you by chance in a purple pontoon?

Snowcrab,

I know less about the river than the two guys above, but I would suggest floating sportsmans to jims and staying in main channel. Lots of great gravel bars to get out and fish on. Great 5-7 hour trip if you hit 5-6 gravel bars for 30-40 minutes each. Many folks hitchhike back to sportsmans and getting a ride is reportedly very easy as folks riding by are used to seeing folks thumb a ride there. Max, alaskacanoe here does shuttles. Google Alaska canoe and campground. He is near sterling and Wildmans is closer. That is a store in Cooper Landing. Might compare these two against kenai cache. Point being, there are many shuttle options if you don't want to hitch a ride. It is a lovely stretch of river.

Dan

Was that Chuck's boat Jamie and I used down Bear Braid last fall and found a sweeper ?? Thanks for the heads up on the back channels Chuck. (No, it was not yours, it was Aluminum)

Quote Originally Posted by AKpegleg View Post
    Was that Chuck's boat Jamie and I used down Bear Braid last fall and found a sweeper ?? Thanks for the heads up on the back channels Chuck. (No, it was not yours, it was Aluminum)
    That sweeper in my pic Peggers?

It is approximately 6 1/2 road miles and 9 1/2 river miles from the bridge to Sportsmans. If you take out there you won't go by the Russian River because you will be just upstream of it. If you want to do a little longer float, the bridge to Jim's Landing is approx 9 1/2 road miles and 12 1/2 river miles.
    There's a new shuttle service that has the cheapest prices I've seen so far. Their name is Kenai River Shuttles and their number was 717-5915.
    Good luck!

Thanks alot everyone! Much appreciated!

The upper kenai is very high now and way off color. Fishing is poor.

Quote Originally Posted by BN2FSH View Post
    The upper kenai is very high now and way off color. Fishing is poor.
    Is this still the case?

Quote Originally Posted by PastyMeNow View Post
    Is this still the case?
    I would think..........................................YUP !!!

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?15258000