Thread: Granite Creek

Default Granite Creek

Owen and I ran Granite Creek's Lower Canyon on Tuesday. We parked his truck along the Glenn at the Granite Creek bridge. We then took my Suburban up Jonesville road then up a wheeler path about 5 miles. Here we parked the Suburban and headed east. We chose the wrong trail because it ended about two miles in and we bushwhacked another half mile until we came across another trail. We followed this trail over the first ridge and into the next valley. From here keep right and stay on top the first ridge until it drops back into the valley near a lake about a mile from the river. There is a light patch low on the mountain on the other side of Granite Creek, if you lose one of these trails, head in that direction. The wheeler trail will drop down towards the creek but suddenly ends part way down the mountain. Stay just above the alders and you will catch a game trail which has flagging tape along it. If you are able to stay on it I believe it leads you to the creek. We lost it just before the creek so we bushwhacked another half mile down to creek. The Water was high and very fast. The whole time we could hear boulders rolling down the stream bed under our packrafts. Owen went for a 2 min. swim early and was a touch gun-shy the rest of the run. We spent a lot of time scouting and picking lines. We had to portage a section that had wood in it. The section starts just below the normal wood pinch point which is in the canyon just after it necks down to about 20' wide. There is a large spruce nearly the whole way across the creek and there is a huge eddy on river right that could fit 10 packrafts if needed. Get out here and portage the next 200 yards of river. Just below the spruce a slide planted about 6 birch trees in the center of the creek. I don't know how they are still upright but if the water keeps climbing they will not be for long and that will plug up the whole creek for sure. Below this there is the sporadic log laying along the bank but nothing to worry about. The whole creek is one big long rapid with one or two pools during the entire run. Once you leave the canyon the gradient increases and although it is bumpy the last few miles to the road is some of the fastest water. Our hike in took 3 hours and we spent 3 hours on the creek but this included a lot of scouting. I believe the run could be completed in 45 min. If you are a experienced class 4 paddler and looking for a thrill this creek is for you. Check the stream gauge on Moose Creek (we ran it at 360) and if you decide to go, call me because I would do it again in a heartbeat!
    I had the GoPro's roll'n but I have a backlog of footage right now and as high as the water is and as nice as the weather is I don't expect to make any new videos in the near future, sorry.
    -JR

Sounds like fun. Here is a video I shot of Granite last year. Water was not as high, but it was still a great creek.

Anyone for Moose at 400 tonight? Call me: 982-2908

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Thanks for the report. A friend of mine owns a section of it and keeps asking me to go float it in IK's. I think we'll stay below the canyon.
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Quote Originally Posted by John N View Post
    Sounds like fun. Here is a video I shot of Granite last year. Water was not as high, but it was still a great creek.

Anyone for Moose at 400 tonight? Call me: 982-2908
    cool video...