Thread: 9.8 Merc Seal replacement

Default 9.8 Merc Seal replacement

I have a pretty good leak around the "Prop Seal" I think its called. Gear lube coming from around the prop. Anyone know how difficult this is to change?

Had the same motor you do. Pull the prop and see if there's fishing line tightly wrapped around the seal. I think it's two or three bolts that hold the retaining plate on there, should pull it an take a look, as I haven't had my motor for about 2 years.

I can't get the prop off, is there a trick?

Wow......that's comedy.....thanks for the laugh tenderfoot. I pm'd yah my numbah if you need help fixing your motor.

Looks like I may have to do the same thing. I did find some mono wrapped around, and they say that if you pull the mono you may get lucky and it not leak. But lucky I ain't. It's on a Johnson Alaskan 35/40. Anything special I need to know?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I just replaced the seals on my 50 HP yamaha after wrapping mono around the prop and damaging the gaskets last year. I drained the lower unit and was able to pull the seals a with a slide hammer with a screw attachment. You might have to pre-drill the gaskets to install the screw but I was able to just hand screw them in. I probably could have hand pulled the gaskets out but the slide hammer worked pretty slick. I was really careful to not to damage the prop shaft when installing the screws. After getting the gaskets out I cleaned everything up and reinstalled new gaskets using a piece of pipe that fit around the shaft. I put one of the old gaskets over the new when installing to make sure I didn't do any damage to my new hardware. All-in-all it probably took less than 30 minutes to replace.