Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 9.8 Merc Seal replacement

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ANCHORAGE
    Posts
    515

    Default 9.8 Merc Seal replacement

    I have a pretty good leak around the "Prop Seal" I think its called. Gear lube coming from around the prop. Anyone know how difficult this is to change?

  2. #2
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Had the same motor you do. Pull the prop and see if there's fishing line tightly wrapped around the seal. I think it's two or three bolts that hold the retaining plate on there, should pull it an take a look, as I haven't had my motor for about 2 years.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    ANCHORAGE
    Posts
    515

    Default

    I can't get the prop off, is there a trick?

  4. #4
    Member mainer_in_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Delta Junction
    Posts
    4,078

    Default

    Wow......that's comedy.....thanks for the laugh tenderfoot. I pm'd yah my numbah if you need help fixing your motor.

  5. #5
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    9,749

    Default

    Looks like I may have to do the same thing. I did find some mono wrapped around, and they say that if you pull the mono you may get lucky and it not leak. But lucky I ain't. It's on a Johnson Alaskan 35/40. Anything special I need to know?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    12

    Default

    I just replaced the seals on my 50 HP yamaha after wrapping mono around the prop and damaging the gaskets last year. I drained the lower unit and was able to pull the seals a with a slide hammer with a screw attachment. You might have to pre-drill the gaskets to install the screw but I was able to just hand screw them in. I probably could have hand pulled the gaskets out but the slide hammer worked pretty slick. I was really careful to not to damage the prop shaft when installing the screws. After getting the gaskets out I cleaned everything up and reinstalled new gaskets using a piece of pipe that fit around the shaft. I put one of the old gaskets over the new when installing to make sure I didn't do any damage to my new hardware. All-in-all it probably took less than 30 minutes to replace.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •