Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who has a hunting binocular story that will convince me to buy the binos used?

Default Who has a hunting binocular story that will convince me to buy the binos used?

I was wondering if anyone has a hunting story where they think that there would have been no way they would have made their kill if they didn't have a great pair of binoculars. I want a new pair and like to make my decision based on success over anything else.

Thanks,
    Matt

I hunt because I enjoy it. You will enjoy your hunt a lot more with quality glass. The selling point for me was sitting on a mountaintop comparing my Nikons to my buddies swaros. I suddenly went from having what I thought was good binos to having junk. Buy the best you can and don't look back.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Good glass is certainly a plus, but every year i hear "didn't see a thing" often i watch folks overlook animals, particularly moose. If a person has not trained them self what to look for, and how to look for it... good glass is as effective as cheap glass

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

unless you have an extra 1,000 + dollars dont EVER look through a pair of swarovski's you will be tainted and forever want some I did once when I ran across a guy in the field with a pair that he let me take a gander through and I have been tainted dreaming ever since.

I grew up listening to record players and transistor radios. My life changed the day I heard my first music through the stereo headphones of a Sony Walkman. It might sound funny, but people on here will know what I mean, and the only other time I felt such a life-changing event was when a friend taught me about binoculars and let me try on his pair of Swarovskis. I was living in a world of cheap and average binoculars, but when he showed me how to adjust his binos on a blade of grass in good light and pull focus on the main wheel, my life was changed forever. Again. Don't look for a reason to buy a great pair of binoculars, search for a reason NOT TO. You only live once in this world and even if you cannot afford a fancy pair of binos, buy them anyway. Don't be a mortal, get a taste of heaven.

Also, they hold their value well and if your world ever crashes, you can sell them easily enough.

I picked up my kid a set of Alpen bino's last year that looked good in the store and he has taken decent care of them. On a recent trip we were glassing some mountain sides and I spotted a cow moose in a clearing a couple miles away. I repeatedly gave instructions to my son and he just couldn't see it. Finally I joked and handed him my Minox HG 10x53's, almost instantly he chimed up with an excited THERE IT IS! Looking through the Alpen bino's I could just make out the moose and I already new exactly where it was. I have since picked him up a set of Vortex Talon HD 10x42's and the problem has been solved. Not a lesson in success vs failure but a good example of the in field differences. Had the moose been a bull in Sept then I have no doubt I would have been unable to see it with the Alpen's my son was using.

One day the stars will line up and I will pick up a set of Swarovski bino's and a big eye zeiss diascope but I am in no hurry as I doubt that the marginal improvement over my existing glass would be a true difference maker. In my experience there is a law of diminishing returns in glass, eventually you are spending a great deal more $$$ for smaller and smaller improvements. The Vortex viper and talon models are great bang for the buck and I doubt that a poor glasser will find more game with the latest greatest swarovision will find more animals than someone with a good eye for animals using a solid high quality mid grade. (Nikon Monarch, Minox HG, Vortex Viper HD/Talon HD, Zen-Ray ED2 (same as Viper Talon HD) The Zeiss Conquest aint bad either and Doug at Cameralandny.com frequently has deals on show sampled.

You buy what you can afford...then get disappointed and buy the best.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

headaches....thats why i don't buy cheap bino's...
    cabela's euros are some of the best i've seen for the money. rival swaro and the other high end european glass. that and i paid extra for the "bear garuntee"....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

If I need binos its to far to walk
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I have some cabela's 10x42 guide models that are really nice. They were not cheap but now Swaro expensive.

Sent from my HTC Desire CDMA using Tapatalk 2

I've found plenty of game with mine that other hunters didn't. Some of that was guiding/inexperienced partners so was it good glass or knowing what to look for? That argument could be made in most glassing situations.

How about everyone comparing their 'good' glass to swarovski? That should tell you which ones are the best.
    If you can afford them, buy them.
    Bad glass = missed opportunities and headaches and less fun

LMAO.....i am sure many of us can contest to that.

QUOTE=Amigo Will;1137120]If I need binos its to far to walk[/QUOTE]
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I don't have a story to share and it looks like LuJon is the only one that does for the moment but I will tell you that I couldn't imagine not having them. I think that a spotting scope maybe more the question of "do I really need it?" That would only apply as well if you aren't sheep or goat hunting
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Bought my first pair of Lieca's 20 years ago and never looked back. Duckdon

Swarovski's for me. Have had a pr. of 10x40's for 20 yrs. and a Swaro spotter. Buy the best you can afford and spend lots of time glassing. Don't miss the forest (animal) for the trees. Learn what to look for and you'll be spotting lots more game. I bought a pr. of 15x56 Swarovski's 5 yrs. ago, and this with a Bogen Manfrotto tripod has revolutionized my hunting in open country. I usually see at least twice the game that my hunting partner does now. These binos are so good, they're bad for you; cause with the extra magnification, the game looks so much closer! The attached article lays out all the advantages of this type of glassing in open country. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/big_eyes.html

Quote Originally Posted by ODGamer View Post
    I was wondering if anyone has a hunting story where they think that there would have been no way they would have made their kill if they didn't have a great pair of binoculars. I want a new pair and like to make my decision based on success over anything else.

Thanks,
    Matt
    I was guiding a sheep hunter in the Kenai Mts. It was early morning, we were up high, and I was glassing the shadows in all the draws we could possibly find sheep. The glass I was using were the old "traditional" style 7X42 Swarovskis. I found a large rock where at first all I saw was total blackness underneath. For some reason I just kept looking at that spot, and slowly, as if by magic, a ewe and lamb just "materialized" into my vision. I took away the glasses and looked with the naked eye, as it wasn't a far distance away, but all I could see was darkness under the rock. I told my hunter and he looked with his binos but couldn't see the animals. But as soon as I raised the glasses again, there they were, plain as day the ewe and lamb laying comfortably under the overhang of that large rock.

I think it was the first day I had bought these Swaros, I was sitting in the house right at" o'dark30". I wanted to see how well the light gathering ability I had heard about them actually was. I had the front door open and was looking down the driveway some 60 yards towards the road. As I sat there, into my vision walked my chocolate lab another 15 yards or so across the road in the neighbor's yard. I immediately lowered the glasses and she was gone. Brought them back up and she was easily seen walking around at 75 yards in what was now almost complete darkness.

All I can say is other than the light gathering ability of these glasses, the brightness and field of view are amazing. I can't tell you how many times I would be looking out over into some spruce thickets or such, and although my eyes were trained in the center of view, a flick of an ear, or a twitch of a tail would catch my attention on the very edge of the sight picture. If I had not had that field of vision would I have seen the animal?......possibily, in time. But having that large field allowed me to see it right away.

Lastly, when you have to glass all day long in the field, it literally feels like your binos are firmly attached to your head. One thing I know is that after hours and hours of continual glassing my eyes suffer no eye fatigue whatsoever. Just last night I was at a friend's house on the river and we were glassing some fishermen with his Nikons. I'm sorry but no matter how I tried to adjust those binos, I just couldn't get them right to a point where they felt comfortable and I didn't have to lower them from my eyes to "reset" my vision.

I guess I'm spoiled.....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

reset your vision, thats a good way to put it. drop cheap glass from your eyes and its like your head has to refocus..good glass you can drop them and things are normal...unless you've spent time in good glass you might not notice it though.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by ODGamer View Post

Thanks,
    Matt
    What do you have now and what do you want to buy?

Great glass (like Swarovski or Leica) is the difference between having pretty good far vision, and then putting on your first pair of glasses - that you really needed all along. If you have some low grade Tasco 10x20 pocket binos, almost anything will be an upgrade. If you have a pair of good Nikons or Steiners (a FANTASTIC value, btw) in the 300-500 $ range, then you'd best hold onto your money unless you're going to upgrade to Swarovski/Zeiss etc.

Like BRWNBR said, bad glass will be a challenge to look through all day. Good glass will be a pleasure.

Hey Matt here are a couple of stories of what my swarovskis helped me get...

couple more stories

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast