Thread: Chickens and biggens

Default Chickens and biggens

Very new to saltwater fishing. I did a search on here but I can't ever find much on this forums search engine. I was wondering of your catching chickens but wanting a halibut over 20lbs should you move on or be patient in the chicken patch? And also do they live in the same basic terrain depth o do the bigger fish live deeper? Thanks for any tips

I generally try to move a little deeper, but in the same general area as the chickens. Most my spots I'm down 300'.

When the spawning salmon start dying off and washing out the mouths of streams around mid-July, all bets are off as far as depth. I've landed 100lb+ butts in water as shallow as 40ft inside the coves and bays of spawning streams.

Depending on where your fishing a 20 lb Halibut is a chicken... With that said we have pulled big fish out of the chicken patches before (big being 40-100 lbs) and we have caught chickens during one part of the tide cycle and big ones later. I think if your getting 20lbs you should stay put and be happy. Talk one guy in your group into using a bigger bait, like a red/pink/silver salmon head or a big huge chunk of a cod. Often times you can leave a head lay on the bottom and a big fish will come by and suck it up.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by fishingyoda View Post
    Very new to saltwater fishing. I did a search on here but I can't ever find much on this forums search engine. I was wondering of your catching chickens but wanting a halibut over 20lbs should you move on or be patient in the chicken patch? And also do they live in the same basic terrain depth o do the bigger fish live deeper? Thanks for any tips
    Be patient. I routinely pull 30 to 40 pounders out of the same spot that I get tons of smaller 10 to 20 pound chickens. And I've gotten fish as big as 66 lbs. in that same spot in previous years. The 2 big ones in this pic were 38 lbs. and 42 lbs., were caught just a couple of days ago and came from about 150 ft. of water not more than a 20 minute boat ride from the end of the Spit:
    IMG_4197.jpg
    And I caught this 75 pounder while trolling for kings a few weeks ago and I was in just 25 ft. of water at the time. It came from the kelp bed area a few miles south of Anchor Point where you'll routinely hear of people catching even bigger ones (like 200+ lbs.):
    75lb butt.jpg
    And ditto on what JR2 said. Big bait often times brings big fish.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Thanks guys. I was curious because I was on a charter out of Whittier last weeks d we put a 180lber and a 45lberon the boat and then that was it. I didn't catch either one and we fished all day. The guides took us north instead of south due to the weather. One of the other guide boats went south and limited out by about noon with fish from 40-100lbs. Then last weekend went out with a few friends in my buddies boat and none of us really now anything about fishing out there. We caught quite a few small ones then about 5 in the 15-20lnb range and one that was 68 out of one of the spots some of the chickens came out of. I'd like to catch some thing over 20lbs

Thanks guys. I was curious because I was on a charter out of Whittier last weeks d we put a 180lber and a 45lberon the boat and then that was it. I didn't catch either one and we fished all day. The guides took us north instead of south due to the weather. One of the other guide boats went south and limited out by about noon with fish from 40-100lbs. Then last weekend went out with a few friends in my buddies boat and none of us really now anything about fishing out there. We caught quite a few small ones then about 5 in the 15-20lnb range and one that was 68 out of one of the spots some of the chickens came out of. I'd like to catch some thing over 20lbs
    Yeah, the Whittier halibut fishery is kind of tough to get. When I lived in Anchorage I went over there a number of times and fished spots that people told me held halibut and for the most part didn't do too well. Seward is a little more forgiving and some pretty decent places to get halibut relatively "close in", and Homer is just that much easier IMHO. I don't know about Whittier, but I do know that getting decent sized halibut (20 to 40 lbs. or bigger) isn't too difficult in K-Bay just about anywhere you find smaller ones. My "hot spot" that produced those 2 in the pic has produced about a half dozen or so 30 to 40's for me in the last few weeks. It sure is nice when you can go just 10 miles or so from port and get a decent limit relatively quickly.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Whittier has some good places. I've been fishing there for several years now and always pulled in consistant 30-40's. I finally ventured far south and pulled in big numbers. Whittier is a hard fishery for halibut apart from the lucky big fish. Keep searching and trying big humps in odd places and you will find good butts.
    27' Wooldridge Super Sport Offshore Pilothouse PRIME TIME!
    Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro Staff
    Heavy Hitter Fishing Crew
    MMSI# 338232859

Many times when we used to get a good feeding frenzy going somebody would put on a big jig. Often times bigger fish would hit the jig. As was mentioned, try and fish a good sized salmon head about 10' off the bottom. If you catch one on it it could very well be over 100 pounds as smaller chickens can't suck it down.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!