Thread: Helio crash at Happy Valley

Default Helio crash at Happy Valley

Channel 2 News is reporting a Helio crashed Wednesday 6/20 shortly after take off. 3 seriously injured and transported to Fairbanks. No other details as yet.

Is Bushrat still at Happy Valley?
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I heard some other details on the radio. It said the passengers were related to the pilot and that the Helio was registered to a company in Fairbanks. I can't recall the reported name of the company, but it wasn't an air carrier that I'm familiar with.

Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Wow.. Doing a little research it looks like Jago River Holdings owns helio N295SC which is the nicest Helio I have ever seen in print or person. It isn't one that I recognize as part of any air charter. I sure hope that everyone recovers fully!!

Pretty small rubber for a Helio.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Pretty small rubber for a Helio.
    Certainly is !!!

I don't know a lot about the Helio except for dreaming but don't these have a history of being difficult to fly? Not saying that is what happened but just curious about the flying character. And yes, those are some silly small tires

Of the few bush planes I have been a passenger in the Helio was the coolest. The speed of approach was shockingly slow.

I have heard they are super slow with the slates but I think I heard that they have problems with the slates when turning, something about the outside slate retracting when turning. I could be totaly wrong so please don't quote me. Also something with the trim. Was compared to a C-185 but worse whe doing a go around with full power and getting the nose trimed and rudder trimed.
    Either way I think the helio would be a perfect Alaska plane for a family. They are neat but pretty spendy. I hope all is well with the injured passenger. Who cares about the plane when You have a person hurt.

I have flown three or four Helio's. They are not really hard to fly, but they tend to act like two different airplanes. One type at higher speeds and another in the low speed envelope.
    I'll bet those small tires were for moving her around the hangar during the winter when the floats had been pulled for maintenance.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

all I know is that after only being up as a passenger in cessna's and a beaver prior to the helio trip it was a definite surprise to hear the bang of the slats sliding out! The feel of the approach was way cool though. I imagine it is what it would be like to an ant on one of those leaves you see slowly descending in the fall from a high branch. Pretty impressive considering we were on the ragged edge of our weight limit.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    I have flown three or four Helio's. They are not really hard to fly, but they tend to act like two different airplanes. One type at higher speeds and another in the low speed envelope.
    I'll bet those small tires were for moving her around the hangar during the winter when the floats had been pulled for maintenance.
    I think you're right. The tail wheel look's castered backward.

A tad squirrely at low airspeeds and in crosswind conditions. And, don't add too much power when turning onto the runway from a taxiway during takeoffs . . . . .

CIMG0194.jpg

I heard she was taking off on the taxi way, had a cone out for no go and didn't make it.

Quote Originally Posted by KLK View Post
    CIMG0194.jpg

I heard she was taking off on the taxi way, had a cone out for no go and didn't make it.
    She? I heard speculation of who the pilot was.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Was it Kristin?