Thread: Salmon out of Whittier this time of year

Default Salmon out of Whittier this time of year

In an area ranging from Whittier out toward Naked Island, N. end of Knight and thereabouts, anyone know if it's worth trolling with downriggers for any kind (well, except chum) of salmon? If so, care to share some general locations?

Chum is about it right now, as they should be around in catchable numbers around Lake Bay. If you've never had a dime bright chum out of the ocean, they're actually pretty tasty - a mild flesh comparable to a silver salmon. Silvers and pinks might start showing in very low, sporadic numbers and you never know where a feeder king might show itself, but overall it'll be pretty slim pickings for salmon trolling until July 10th or so. We were out there two days ago and didn't bother bringing the downriggers.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    If you've never had a dime bright chum out of the ocean, they're actually pretty tasty - a mild flesh comparable to a silver salmon.
    I have to agree totally with Brian on this one. I'm not sure why people are so disparaging about chums AND pinks. They're both a lot of fun to catch in the salt and are perfectly edible. Out of a river they can be down right nasty, but if you treat them well a dime bright ocean caught chum or pink makes very good table fare.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

I agree that any dime-bright ocean-caught salmon is good on the grill. Including chum. I was hoping to maybe catch some early silvers or even a king. I know that silvers are just starting to show up outside Res Bay (or so I hear), but don't know that that means they might also be somewhere out a ways from Whittier and catchable. For what it's worth, in the fishing report in today's newspaper (Anc) it says that terminal kings are showing up around Whittier. Not sure exactly what that means as far as location and liklihood of getting one.

I think that means that the people in Whittier are trying to take advantage of the misfortune of the Kenai river... but I could be wrong. I know people that catch kings in places I would not even think to troll (blackstone bay, culross passage, etc) and I have never tried. I for one will be taking my downriggers and gear with me when I head out on the 2nd of July. If we can get into a school of chums I will take a couple and let my boys catch and release all they want...
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by JR2 View Post
    I think that means that the people in Whittier are trying to take advantage of the misfortune of the Kenai river... but I could be wrong. I know people that catch kings in places I would not even think to troll (blackstone bay, culross passage, etc) and I have never tried. I for one will be taking my downriggers and gear with me when I head out on the 2nd of July. If we can get into a school of chums I will take a couple and let my boys catch and release all they want...
    JR,

The people of Whittier are not taking advantage of the closures of the rivers. The Chamber of Commerce along with Department of Fish and Game have been stocking Kings and Silvers for the past several years. This is the first year that they are suppose to start showing up. Please do your research before throwing out disparaging remarks.

The Kings are showing up around the docks in Whittier along with areas around Main Bay. The trouble with main bay is the bowpickers. If there is a commercial opener stay clear. The last thing that you want to do is hit a cork line. They are out there thick right now. They are corking off the entrance to Culross so your best bet is do go down Perry Passage.

Quote Originally Posted by northdan View Post
    JR,

The people of Whittier are not taking advantage of the closures of the rivers. The Chamber of Commerce along with Department of Fish and Game have been stocking Kings and Silvers for the past several years. This is the first year that they are suppose to start showing up. Please do your research before throwing out disparaging remarks.

The Kings are showing up around the docks in Whittier along with areas around Main Bay. The trouble with main bay is the bowpickers. If there is a commercial opener stay clear. The last thing that you want to do is hit a cork line. They are out there thick right now. They are corking off the entrance to Culross so your best bet is do go down Perry Passage.
    Thanks for the positive Mojo!! Bring those nooks to me!! I think the release numbers say the same thing.
    I'm gonna try all summer to catch one!!!!

Don't take me wrong guys, I know the chamber has been stocking and I know the fishing can be good. I killed 50% of my silvers close to Whittier last summer. Its the comments about Kings and having it in the paper that cracks me up. All that is going to do is flood the town with people who think you will be able to cast from shore and catch a King. They would have been better served to give out some more info with that little blurb, something like "the Kings from the stocking program should start showing up this year and we expect a good return". I am sure it will get some people to come try and leave disappointed.

I would love to catch Kings out of Whittier and over the 4th of July you will find me out there somewhere trying.
    2007 Kingfisher 2825 - Stor Fisk

Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top. -- Hunter S. Thompson

I know someone who snagged 18 reds in main Bay last Sunday. He stayed the night on the hook but failed to escape before the opener next day, got penned in by a set netter; had to ask him to move his net from shore so he could pass. If you have an outdrive or outboard you can just lift your motor and float across the corks, takes a little nerve.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

We weaseled our way through all the nets last Saturday. I thought we should just bomb around the fleet but I wasn't driving and am the youngest on the boat so nobody listens to me. We just used binos. We saw lots of salmon jumping but couldn't tell if they were reds or pinks

saw tons of salmon jumping between latouche & montague on tuesday

I've caught kings in shotgun cove this time of year, and see lots trolling off the docks in whittier, just don't like fishing in whittier. also heard of kings in culross but never really tried for them there. this time of year also i've anchored in 200' off w perry and dropped a line for halibut, but also had a line out with plug cut herring on a noodle rod, 4 lb test line and caught silvers when the school circles though our area. great fun. Bud
    Wasilla

Default Fresh chums!

007.jpgGot back last night from a 2 day trip. Saw jumpers all over the place. Not sure what they might have been around Main Bay, but around Esther/Perry Passage, they were lots of chums. We picked up a few with small, mooched herring. Lost way more...lots of hooks pulled out, soft mouths. Brian's right, they are great when bright! Milder and paler flesh...they take a brine well. 2 fresh chums going in the smoker this morning!

I'd love to throw a few more of them in the smoker. 'm wondering if I was going to try trolling for chums what might work best. Given how many we loose, I'm thinking a flasher and small hoochie or something else to avoid using herring...suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    I'd love to throw a few more of them in the smoker. 'm wondering if I was going to try trolling for chums what might work best. Given how many we loose, I'm thinking a flasher and small hoochie or something else to avoid using herring...suggestions?
    I troll hoochies exclusively for them. I've had best luck with a small (4" I think) green/chartreuse hoochie close behind a flasher, trolled just fast enough to get the flasher flipping over. They're usually deep around here, usually deeper than 45 and sometimes to 100 or deeper, even when you're surrounded by jumpers. I know some guys use just a flasher and two blue Gamakatsu about 18" behind.

They're a lot of fun to catch, and most people won't fish for the "lowly chum" so there isn't much competition.