Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 121 to 140 of 140

Thread: .30-06 for your all around-"go to gun" for Alaska or Western USA?

  1. #121
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Well, this has become a pretty "spicy" thread .....

  2. #122
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    6,098

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    Well, this has become a pretty "spicy" thread .....
    When you're talking about mens' preferences regarding cars, women, liquor, and guns, it's bound to be "spicy".

  3. #123
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post

    [/COLOR]The 30-06 was a part of history due to no fault of it's own, so isn't that a poor reason to claim the 30-06 is so wonderful?
    [COLOR=#daa520]I have no idea what you are trying to say here... yet my answer... the .30-'06 is a great cartridge by which so many are still measured. It makes an outstanding parent case. Many newest latest greatest cartridges are only solutions to non existent issues, but having something different has a personal cool factor.
    I'm saying the popularity of the 30-06 cartridge was due to the fact that it was a Military cartidge, was available, and highly developed. While it has some merits, they aren't superior to those other cartridges, then or now.

    When I hear someone praising the 30-06, using the romance of it's history, I think, "Oh, not again".

    Of course, I don't think that about the 30-30, so it must be ME.

    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  4. #124
    Supporting Member iofthetaiga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Tanana Valley AK
    Posts
    8,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'm saying the popularity of the 30-06 cartridge was due to the fact that it was a Military cartidge, was available, and highly developed. While it has some merits, they aren't superior to those other cartridges, then or now.
    Certainly, what you say about the 06's origins is true and accounted for it's initial popularity. But if what you go on to say about it's lack of superiority were true, then what accounts for the fact it remains the most popular and common cartridge in North America some 100+ years later?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It

  5. #125
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, AK
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    I'm saying the popularity of the 30-06 cartridge was due to the fact that it was a Military cartidge, was available, and highly developed. While it has some merits, they aren't superior to those other cartridges, then or now.
    Back then (unlike now) the military were not hamstrung by NATO commonality of caliber. The '06 was developed/selected to become a military caliber BECAUSE of it's superiority (to those others available at the time). Then civilian popularity grew and for good reason - it is available, manageable (to shoot), versatile and pretty good at killin big stuff. Is it THE BEST at everything...NO, but what caliber truly is all-round? Oh yeah, the 12Ga

  6. #126
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    sayak - ROGER THAT !

  7. #127
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Hackney Air Park Athol, ID
    Posts
    2,085

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    HINT... Alaska = Bear Country! still disagree?

    --- examples being the what if hunting/packing/camped with downed moose, caribou, goats, sheep, deer, etc. - then having a bad or surprise situation with Brown Bear? Sure you'll use what you have in this scenario, however mid bore magnums would still get the nod as all-arounder.
    Right or wrong, when I lived and hunted in AK I used a Rem 700 Mtn rifle in.280. When going to Kodiak for deer I always took the heavy gun...a Rem 700 in .30-06 with 220gr RN. Only had one close encounter at Kodiak with a brown at 10' or so and the sling on my rifle got stuck on the pin of my pack frame and I couldn't get it off...I backed up and the bear left me alone. Lucky...maybe....I flew back to Homer on an overloaded South Central Beech 1900 and the next day the same plane crashed at Homer killing everyone on board...lucky...maybe.

    I've always had confidence in the .30-06 to do what needs to be done and I still do. You don't need to agree. I have bigger guns and use them sometimes but the .30-06 is still the best all around gun IMHO.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

  8. #128
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kodiak, AK
    Posts
    640

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    HINT... Alaska = Bear Country! still disagree?

    --- examples being the what if hunting/packing/camped with downed moose, caribou, goats, sheep, deer, etc. - then having a bad or surprise situation with Brown Bear? Sure you'll use what you have in this scenario, however mid bore magnums would still get the nod as all-arounder.
    Brian does have a point here though. Is the OPs question actually 'Is the '06 the best all-round gun for AK for use on a fenced in Range?'. 'Cos that is surely the only place in AK that you can shoot that ain't bear country.

  9. #129
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    931

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by back country View Post
    GOSH Brian ! you just don't like to "let it go" do ya ? OK, I've got one for ya .... 338-06 - IF you are defending yourself against a BAR it will most certainly be inside of 100 yds so WHY the "need" for a magnum ? 338-06 is arguably more shootable and can easily be had in a more lightweight and handy rifle - is the BAR gonna know the difference in delivered energy this side of 100 paces ?
    CLEARLY... YOU JUST DON"T GET IT...

    YOU bet!!! Inside the 100 yds. to very up close and personal --- the magnum-type, higher intensity, higher grain, larger caliber, bigger wounds, and more shock factoring.... in addition to shot or less than optimal shot placement is way way better moving on up to higher velocity mid-bores and upwards.

    I'm out.

  10. #130
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Me too ! (oh, and I "get it" alright)

  11. #131
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    Certainly, what you say about the 06's origins is true and accounted for it's initial popularity. But if what you go on to say about it's lack of superiority were true, then what accounts for the fact it remains the most popular and common cartridge in North America some 100+ years later?
    I'd hafta say, that it didn't disappoint many folks, but that could be true for any cartridge.

    The 303 British was popular, and used all over the world, but I don't think it is as good a design as the 30-06.

    Military cartridges just seem to have the edge in usage. Of course, there are some good reasons why that would be true, when you consider the needs of a Military Cartridge. Things like feeding, pressure, and loads.

    Except for MAYBE some specialized use, I'd prefer my 7x57, 280 Rem. or 7mm Mag. to the 30-06.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  12. #132
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,593

    Default

    The 30-06 became such a popular cartridge when the US government started getting rid of surplus WWI and WWII bolt rifles after WWII. When a surplus rifle cost $10 and a new 30-30 cost $50 and the average person made 3-4 dollars a day, do the math. The 30-06 was scheduled to be replaced with a 7mm round (276 Pederson) when Garrand designed the auto rifle, but WWII broke out first. The US had millions of rounds of 06 in storage and the war wasn't going to wait, so Garrand refitted the auto rifle to fire the 30-06 round.
    As a general rule American military rounds have always had a large following, due partly to the NRA/CMP type programs which have been around since the CSA showed the US Army what marksmanship was in the Civil War.
    Is the 30-06 the BEST round;for what and when ? It certainly isn't the oldest military military cartridge currently in use the 7.62x54R holds that title. It's not the most used worldwide probably the 303 or 7.62x54R held that title.
    For all around general use the 06 turns in acceptable performance, it is generally accurate, and available in all forms of firearms. In the hands of a competent shooter and under the right conditions it delivers. In tight quarters with large agressive animals it could be lacking in some areas.Do I like the 30-06, I own 6. However I'm glad that there are lots of other calibers and a few wilcats too. AIN'T Choice Wonderful ??

  13. #133
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    brav01 - all well said but be careful ! you're gonna get yelled at !!

  14. #134
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Veneta, OR
    Posts
    1,156

    Default

    Smitty - I just like the lightweight "affordable" rifles like the 84L and "if" they would've come out with a reglar .280 instead of the AI version I wood've taken that over the '06 .......... MAYBE but then HECK ! I probly would take an 84L 338 win mag knowin me

  15. #135
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Of course, I don't think that about the 30-30, so it must be ME.
    See now....I do kinda feel that way about the 30-30. Something about the gun that has arguably taken more game than any other that really appeals to me. Plus I just like the way it looks.....lol
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  16. #136
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Good info, and good info, brav01:

    I ain't gonna be the one to yell at you, for that.

    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  17. #137
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.
    Posts
    9,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    See now....I do kinda feel that way about the 30-30. Something about the gun that has arguably taken more game than any other that really appeals to me. Plus I just like the way it looks.....lol
    What I'm sayin is, that I do appreciate the Romance and History of the 30-30, but for some reason, don't have the same interest in the 30-06.

    I have 3, 30-30s now. I sold 2 pretty recently. It's just a fun gun to shoot. It has light recoil, and a long neck for cast bullets.

    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

  18. #138
    Member 4merguide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kenai Peninsula, Alaska
    Posts
    11,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    What I'm sayin is, that I do appreciate the Romance and History of the 30-30, but for some reason, don't have the same interest in the 30-06.

    I have 3, 30-30s now. I sold 2 pretty recently. It's just a fun gun to shoot. It has light recoil, and a long neck for cast bullets.

    Smitty of the North
    Oh sorry about that, I mistook what you were saying. I gotta say I've always held a soft spot for the ol' 30-30....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

  19. #139
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    931

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Good info, and good info, brav01:

    I ain't gonna be the one to yell at you, for that.

    Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Not me Brav01... well said and & valid historical perspective - thanks.

    Smitty... also good stuff on the .303 along same lines - thanks.

    I use an M28 and M39 for quite a bit of my shooting plus occasional hunts and enjoy the 7.62x54 in these rifles. Two other favorites are also the K-31 Swiss in 7.5 SWISS and a Swed. 1899 carbine 6.5 Swed. up for target work... both very accurate rifles.

    Lately, I've had an eye on a Savage Enfield in .303 in nice shape --- looks to be a fun shooter.

  20. #140
    New member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,593

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Richardson View Post
    Not me Brav01... well said and & valid historical perspective - thanks.

    Smitty... also good stuff on the .303 along same lines - thanks.

    I use an M28 and M39 for quite a bit of my shooting plus occasional hunts and enjoy the 7.62x54 in these rifles. Two other favorites are also the K-31 Swiss in 7.5 SWISS and a Swed. 1899 carbine 6.5 Swed. up for target work... both very accurate rifles.

    Lately, I've had an eye on a Savage Enfield in .303 in nice shape --- looks to be a fun shooter.

    Brian most of the Savage Enfields are in real good shape as the US govermnent didn't use them much. They were used for civil deffense during WWII by the civil deffense/home guard. They were originally built for England but the order was too late for WWI and the UK cancelled it's order and Savage got stuck with them. They were cosmolined and warehoused and then sold to the US Goverment to supplement it's supply of battle rifles that went overseas.Taking production pressures off contracting firearms manufacturers. In order for the sights to be regulated you'll need to replicate the British cordite load of the military.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •