Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: .30-06 for your all around-"go to gun" for Alaska or Western USA?

Talking .30-06 for your all around-"go to gun" for Alaska or Western USA?

What do you think of the .30-06 for your all around-"go to gun" for Alaska or Western US, particularly if you are not in Brown bear country? If so what load and bullet would you use?

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

I think it's too powerful.

200gr partitions at 2650fps and I'm unstoppable on any game up to and including big bears. But that's pretty boring and uninteresting so I hunt with other calibers mostly, but I have confidence that if need be I could get the job done with nothing else.

I think Jeff Cooper said, "There aren't too many problems a man can't fix with 700 dollars and a .30-06."

The dollar is devalued (need to change it to 2000 dollars), but the .30-06 still works*!

I would use 165 grain bullets (-2700fps) for anything smaller than a moose, 180 (-2600fps) grain for anything up to the big bears, and 200 grains (-2500)for the big bears.

One load for everything? 200 grains if the bears are in the picture, 180 otherwise.

*On edit: If my wife every reads this I'm only kidding. You need a specific gun and caliber for each and every different game animal and hunting condition one expects to encounter!

There are many one gun for all rifles out there but very few one gun for all hunters. My choise is 06 with 220grain anything but silvertips
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

My 30-06 likes IMR 4350 and Speer 200 grain Hot Cors. The come out of the muzzle at 2500 fps. Good for anything in N. Idaho out to 300 yds. It doesn't get hunted a whole lot anymore though, I got kinda stuck on my 338-06AI and my 350 Remmie MAGNUM.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

When are you in Alaska and not in bear country? When I think of "all around" I think 338 caliber-375 caliber. Take your pick.

All around(opinion):
    338 Rcm
    338 Federal
    338-06
    338 win mag
    358 win
    35 whelen
    350 rem mag
    9.3x62 mauser
    375 Ruger
    375 H n H

20-22" barrel, unscoped/unloaded weight of 6.5-7.5 lbs.

yup even for bears...I shot one..as well as
    Moose, deer, caribou, sheep, pigs

200 GR Nosler PTN and 60 grains H4831 surplus, trickled in or a bunch of imr 4350...works accross the board

I gotta admit...not a real '06 fan. Not from lack of use, my journals indicate I've killed more critters with an '06 than anything else.

All around AK/ Western US rifle? not really IMHO and I've used one to very good effect. Maybe it's just too traditional, maybe it's too common...don't know but it doesn't appeal to me much these days.

A person could certainly get by with one nicely though, and a 180gr Partition or Accubond @2700 would certainly do what the cartridge was able. I think the heavier .30 bullets are an anachronism these days with our excellent controlled expansion 180s.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

It's worked for me. Whacked both meese and bears.
    Now what ?

Quote:

*On edit: If my wife every reads this I'm only kidding. You need a specific gun and caliber for each and every different game animal and hunting condition one expects to encounter![/QUOTE]

That's funny but true!

30-06 is the perfect all american rifle IMHO. I actually bought one last year since my shoulder was getting tired of the beating it was taking with the larger rifles. The performance is great as long as you don't push the limits. I use 168 gr Barnes TSX bullets and have no plans of changing

It was my all around rifle for many years, and there is no reason it couldn't still be except that as I got older and wealthier I felt the need to invest in other guns. I plan on using it for moose and bear hunting this year. Nowadays I shoot 180 gr. Accubonds, but for the first 20 years or so I shot 200 gr. Hot Cors.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Tip View Post
    What do you think of the .30-06 for your all around-"go to gun" for Alaska or Western US, particularly if you are not in Brown bear country? If so what load and bullet would you use?

Silver Tip
    Although you can make it one, I think there are better cartridges for "all-around" use, which is why I don't have one.

Better, as in flatter shooting, like a 280 Rem. or a 7mm Magnum.

But, it's all in one's perception, and preference. (Any cartridge of reasonable caliber and power, could be adapted to All-around use.)

For me, personally, the only reason I'd choose a 30-06 is for Bear Hunting/Defense. I tried a 338, and it was too much gun.

Ain't no way, that I'd trade in one of my thutty-thuttys on a 30-06, though.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Although you can make it one, I think there are better cartridges for "all-around" use, which is why I don't have one.

Better, as in flatter shooting, like a 280 Rem. or a 7mm Magnum.

But, it's all in one's perception, and preference. (Any cartridge of reasonable caliber and power, could be adapted to All-around use.)

For me, personally, the only reason I'd choose a 30-06 is for Bear Hunting/Defense. I tried a 338, and it was too much gun.

Ain't no way, that I'd trade in one of my thutty-thuttys on a 30-06, though.

Smitty of the North
    For a non-big bear gun....gotta agree with Smitty....hard to beat a 7x57, 7mm/08 or .280 as an all around Western US gun! I also couldn't find much fault with the 6.5mm either...in the form of a .260 or 6.5x55. But....There is something magic about 7mm.
    Somewhere along the way I have lost the ability to act politically correct. If you should find it, please feel free to keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
    For a non-big bear gun....gotta agree with Smitty....hard to beat a 7x57, 7mm/08 or .280 as an all around Western US gun! I also couldn't find much fault with the 6.5mm either...in the form of a .260 or 6.5x55. But....There is something magic about 7mm.
    Amen!! 7x57 and 7mm08 just out standing in so many ways for a non brown bear environment and YES!! there is something magic about a 7mm. I have owned and hunted with 7x57, 7mm08, 7mm Mag and 7mm STW and really love the 7mm and my favorite is the 7mm08.

Now that said, here something to read about the 06 http://ammoguide.com/?article=mhsp68/3006
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

A bud of mine has killed more brown bear (5) than any other non-guide I know, plus two DLP's, in his nearly 40 years of hunting up here. Killed all the other species too and has the wall mounts to prove it. He's still shooting the same 30-06 he bought in 1968. Only rifle he's ever owned, as a matter of fact. Most of us here spend our spare money on guns and ammo, but he spends his on hunts and mounts. Kinda different math than is popular on the web.

For his first 20 years up here he shot factory Remington 180 grain Corlokts, then switched to standard factory Federal 180's when he had trouble getting the Remingtons locally.

As they say, beware the one-gun man.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

As they say, beware the one-gun man.

Truly a lot to be said for the point you have made BrownBear, indeed, beware of the one-gun man. One thing for sure, he never has to wonder or think about the function of his rifle or his trajectory or the expected results, it is all second nature to him.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

It was Frank Glazer's favorite.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast