Thread: Re-taping seams on a tent?

Default Re-taping seams on a tent?

Does anyone have experience re-taping the seams on a tent?

I have an older tent that I use for family camping. Its still in decent shape, but a fair amount of the tape that seals the seams is coming off. I could re-apply the tape with seam sealer, or I could strip off the old tape and apply new stuff.

You can buy seam seal tape online. Most brands are applied with a warm iron carefully, I can imagine. Can anyone tell me about their experience using this kind of product?

Thanks

Never used the tape before, not sure how it works, but I use 100% silicone diluted with gasoline to make a great seam sealer for tents and such. Cheap, easy, and no leaks thus far.

I agree on the silicon. Rub it on both sides of the seams. No need for the gasoline in my experience, though I suppose that would thin it out a bit.

You don't need to buy fancy seam sealing stuff.

The gas thins it out making it much easier to apply, and it looks good when done. Guess you could just use silicone not thinned, but I like to get it into the threads.

I bet it penetrates a lot better. What application tool to smooth have you found works best? Do you apply to your tents right after buying or wait till they wear?

I have a marmot and am very impressed with the factory sealing but I've been thinking about touching it up.

I put silicon on a previous tent and it held up for five years but the seams did look a bit messy and it was probably thicker than necessary. Did seem to absorb into the stitching though, I think they add a minor solvent to the 100 percent stuff.